• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tournament: Who's a Good Secondary

RecycledKaos

Smash Rookie
So I'm a Ganon main and am going to my first tournament in about a month. I feel fairly confident in my ability to play most characters to a semi competent level. Who is a good secondary to practice with as well that covers gmans bad MUs?

Mongoose132

Smash Rookie
I like Ike. He's hard hitting and mobile, with a massive swords to boot. Also, **** spacing because Ike's more powerful the closer your oppenent is to the base of his sword

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I would argue for an ivysaur backup in addition to your other options. I'm not a super competent ivy, but she has so many useful spacing tools. Ganon's other weaknesses include his pitiful offstage game and a weakness to camping. Ivy has a far superior offstage game, superior spacing and a resistance to camping with synthesis/solarbeam. A decent ivy can enable better use of patient play (no more getting pressured into foolish aggression by laser camping) and can generally outspace cast members without disjointed hitboxes.

If being defensive isn't your cup of tea you can still be aggressive, though I would say you may have less success with a more aggressive ivysaur. Though I couldn't say for sure.

Good luck at your tourney! Use the power of darkness to show your foes the true nature of despair. They will know unrivaled power and unspeakable darkness! FEAR THE LORD OF EVIL, COWARDS. (Good luck)

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I highly recommend giving Kirby a look. He has answers to Ganon's weaknesses: he can escape pressure, he is quick up close, he is harder to gimp (even tho he dies earlier) and he has tools to deal with projectiles (crouching, superior aerial mobility, DASH ATTACK). But he also retains a lot of Ganon's strengths. His neutral B actually has grab armor and you can combine its quick start up with his aerial mobility to go through shields more easily. He has a solid grab game and lots of high power attacks. His reach isn't as good as Ganon's but it's still pretty good. You definitely need to spend some time getting used to his new tools, but I think all the fundamentals you develop as Ganon transfer to Kirby fairly nicely.

Also you gain some neat new advantages. Your gimping game shoots way up. You can crouch under a lot of moves. You can do some sick jab resets.

Certain match ups that are really annoying as Ganon (Ivy, ZSS, Metaknight, Link, etc) are much more bearable as Kirby and you actually get some really crazy tools in your favor. Like if you absorb Ivy, you get a fully charged solar beam. ZSS, you get her charged shot. Mario's fireballs are crazy with Kirby's superior aerial mobility.

Kirby is actually my secondary now and I can't wait to get proficient with him. I already do better with him in certain match ups with minimal practice. He's one of those characters that have a universal toolkit which works in any match up. In certain match ups though (like Yoshi), you definitely want Ganon's polarized toolkit.

Last edited:

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
What are you talking about? Ganondorf has like ZERO bad match-ups. He's got the triforce of power and stuff.
He's immortal, superstrong, magic, unspeakably evil... I think if you pick Ganon you should just automatically win. Like immediately. Like "Ganondorf - GAME! This game's winner is: Ganondorf!" Exactly that.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Personally, my secondaries are Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo. But like someone below said (this is an edit, my other message was stupid) play what suits your style, and you typically want to go with characters who are very different from your main, so they can handle MUs you don't feel comfortable handling with Ganon.

Last edited:

bandi

Smash Cadet
Secondaries complementing Ganon:
Of course - Spacies.
Mario, Captain Fabulous, Link/Zelda, Lucas.

But you know what? Take a secondary YOU like. Watch some videos, see what players do with specific characters. Choose a character and play against CPUs and decide for yourself what would compliment your gameplay. As for myself I'm practicing with Lucario/Falco. That doesn't mean those two are the best secondaries to complement Ganon.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Kirby has a deadly combo game. As for the Zelda match up, I don't know. I definitely prefer Ganon for the Zelda match up but once I get good with Kirby I'll have better info. Especially with KDJ's Zelda local to me.

As for the fun factor, also gotta keep in mind that you're picking a secondary to hopefully increase your chances of winning. Gotta balance both.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I just said **** secondaries because I don't like playing any other character nearly as much as Ganon. Also, have y'all tried remapping another button to shield? I put shield on X yesterday because I don't use it for anything else and powershields are ezmode now.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I just said **** secondaries because I don't like playing any other character nearly as much as Ganon.
As much as I agree with this statement, I firmly believe that some matchups are just no fun at all and warrant somebody else to deal with them. That's why they're secondary characters, though. They are inferior characters to Ganondorf himself. All hail the King of Evil!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't think there's enough discussion or experience to tell if Ganon has matchups that are flat out unwinnable, so the choice of a secondary is entirely up to you, how you play and what matchups you can't manage.
Personally I like playing Falcon and Ike when my brain gets too much Ganoning.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I would say Pit he is extremely good
Yeah, I can see how Pit would be a good compliment to Ganon. He can combo tem floaties pretty well, and he doesn't have that ridiculous weakness to projectiles. I wouldn't say his punish is very good though, and his ground game is meh, so I would only use him for characters you can't handle with Ganon.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
You are asking the guy who started this thread, right? Gotta make that clear.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've been playing around with Mario, Bowser, Mewtwo, Roy, Peach, and Zero Suit Samus. So far, I'd say Mario is a solid secondary. He's easy to pick up and learn, he has a projectile, as well as answers to other projectiles, he has deceptively good recovery, if albeit predictable, and can wall jump (something Ganon can't do) which aids in his recovery. He's got great combos and kill moves that can finish combos. Basically, Mario has a lot of things that can cover Ganon's problems.

Top Bottom