• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time playing smash

D

Deleted member

What happened to you on your first match of Smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I spent about my first 100 matches spamming smash attacks and failing at jumping back on stage. After I learned how to recover I started loving the game.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
I think I was getting the crap beaten out of me by Bowser on Onett in Melee.
And I only knew who the Mario and Pokémon characters were so I thought Samus was Iron Man :/

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
We were on holidays in a house next to a swimming pool and a friend brought smash, while I had brought the N64 and 4 controllers. We were all new to the the game, so no one really had the advantage, and we were not understanding all that was going on anyway ^^

It was like enlightment. We played it over and over all summer long, and kept on playing every weekend for a long time.

I remember I was so excited to play Samus ! she hadn't appeared in a game for quite a long time when smash came out, and I loved the metroid series.

It took me a long time to realize how much she sucked in 64 ^^

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I think i played as Lucas on Classic mode.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
I started with Melee and only know how to use :GCB: moves lol.

spamwichx

Smash Cadet
NNID
samantharrgh
me screaming at the tv trying to figure out how to work out the controls while my friend laughs and constantly KO's me.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
My smash days started with Flash 2 in fact. There were no instructions so I had no idea what to do XD

villaqer

Smash Rookie
NNID
karkltty
3DS FC
2724-1496-3571
i played as pikachu in brawl
i was pushing random buttons

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
I was playing Brawl of all things, hadn't even played the other entries yet, and I played as Link. I spent the whole time unlocking characters, match after match trying to complete a goal.

Dark times. Now I play Marth/Lucina or Sheik and have actually played all the other entries.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Me and my big brother was over at one of his friends house and he happened to have a 64 and Smash, I was so young that the only thing I remember was that I picked DK (we played on Congo Jungle) and died all the time because I didn't know how to UP-B.

I always smile at this memory. I've played Smash for as long as I can remember and to this day I still can recall my very first game.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
my first time playing competitive melee i played against someone who's taken sets off of top 100 players and who's probably top 200 in the world. i barely knew how to wavedash at that point and i think i took two stocks off in about five games. one match was a four-stock and i only managed to get 20% on him. i loved it. that was probably the moment where i decided i actually wanted to play melee instead of just watch it.

we go to university together and we only played once after that, in april. we fox dittoed once and i got one ~legitimate~ stock off of him; i think he SDed once while i made two pretty grave mistakes that ended up with me dying at about 0-10%. i think by early next year i can beat him in the ditto (which isn't something i should be bragging about since iirc he doesn't main fox), but i'm probably overestimating how good i am.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I went over to my friend's house and he had this weird "Melee" game. I picked Yoshi, and rolled around in my egg the entire time. He told me "other characters can shield and roll too you know..." but I didn't care because I was hooked on Yoshi's Island.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't know. It wasn't anything specifically memorable, but know that we're talking the N64 version and we're talking around 15-16 years ago. Back then I played senselessly, and got entertainment from the idea of pitting the Nintendo characters against each other. That's all I've really ever played the series for, and I think that's why I don't play SSB much anymore... I'm just not into that much anymore, probably because my obsession with video games dropped off about ten years ago and turned into something that only lasted until I beat games, as opposed to all of the time.

Top Bottom