• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time & Novice: Female players?

Anu-nxus

Smash Rookie
Just a question that came to my mind.

What are your experiences with first time and novice female players?
-and-
More specifically what characters do they do best with or have the most fun using?

Ive found that Wario and Sonic have been the top choices among our friends.:chuckle:
-also-
Which controller would you start them with?
Im thinking the Gamecube's controller, one I know how to use it so I can teach how to use it and second they might be familiar with it too.

Anu-nxus

Smash Rookie
So, what's the question here, really?
There is actually 3 questions can you believe that!

1) What are your experiences with first time and novice female players?
2) More specifically what characters do they do best with or have the most fun using?
3) Which controller would you start them with?

Egret

Smash Journeyman
There is actually 3 questions can you believe that!

1) What are your experiences with first time and novice female players?
2) More specifically what characters do they do best with or have the most fun using?
3) Which controller would you start them with?
Is this an innuendo?

:034:

Smash Hero
A friend of mine uses Meta Knight and Captain Falcon when we Brawl online, mostly. She isn't all that good, but her Meta Knight is better than mine, at least. She uses the GC controller, I believe.

My friend's exgirlfriend wanted to play as well, using Kirby and the GC controller. Her first time playing, and she wasn't that bad, actually. So it seems the GC controller is the best for beginners.

Hope that somewhat answers your questions.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Is this an innuendo?
Thats what i was wondering..

Right then...lets see.

1) Ill assume this is related to playing Brawl without previously playing Melee, i was already a melee player, so cant really say much here.

2) Peach, Zelda, Ganondorf (two of my friends use him alot, as do i) , Pokemon Trainer.

3) 'They' would rather a gamecube controller, it's simple and easy to use.

So just throwing a question in there, are you planning on teaching someone to play Brawl? It would just help to answer the questions clearer if we knew that this was for :bee:

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Gender is not a factor , if you've been playing games all your life you're good if you're a noob you're a noob.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Gender is not a factor , if you've been playing games all your life you're good if you're a noob you're a noob.
I believe he was actually supporting gender equality with that statement.

Most girls I know tend to main female or cute characters. You don't often see them maining Wario probably for that reason...unless they are into a crazed Ron Jeremy kind of look.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Only one character; Pit... For some reason all my novice female friends find him sexy... but I mean, Pit? Not even Pikachu? ><

And I set them off with a shake smash enabled Wiimote+Nunchuck combo

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
URA moron!
How? Every girl i met who's been playing ever since the snes as much as i have my equal and every girl who hasn't is a noob equally as much as male noobs...you're the moron here i'm afraid. :embarrass

To use someone's gender to excuse poor mastership of something is frivolous....unless women as a whole want to admit to "something"...which ain't happening anytime soon lol.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
1) I haven't really played any yet. But I know quite a few girls who play Brawl.
2) I don't know. But...maybe Marth.
3) GC. But I'd rather give them wiimote+nunchuck for shake smash. It seems funny to see them throwing around the wiimote like crazy. >.<

FangzV

Smash Journeyman
I have a good friend of mine who comes over often and we just spend the whole time playing Brawl. She doesn't have her own copy of Brawl (or a Wii, for that matter) so I guess I can consider her in this.
She wasn't that good. Then again she was playing against two people who had been playing for months.
She mains Wolf right now.

And my brother's girlfriend (she does have Brawl and she does play it but I guess I can consider her a first time/novice female player since she's not hardcore) used to play as Dedede but now mains Lucario.
Just like with my friend, the hardcore Brawlers pwn'd.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
I've played Smash with female friends before; my neighbor Emily prefers to use Kirby (but when I got her to try random characters, I thought she was pretty good with Ganondorf:laugh:). Last night, my friend Maria was using Peach and Pikachu.

Back when I started Melee, I started out with Marth, Link, Bowser, Fox, Pikachu, and Luigi as my mains.

Five years later, my mains changed to Marth, Captain Falcon, and Pikachu, with Ness and the Ice Climbers as secondaries.

A lot of girls think Captain Falcon is creepy. I give them the knee.

I guess a lot of my choices were based on who was cute/familiar (Pikachu was the first character I ever used in SSBM). But then I realized I work better with characters who are faster, have good aerial attacks, characters that I "flow" with (I can control easily), or all three.

When I do get Brawl, I plan to try Zamus, Ike, Lucas, and Olimar in addition to those from Melee.

I think it's funny- not funny in a 'what a bunch of morons' sense, but in more of an 'lol' sense- that guys are analyzing what girls like to try in smash since the Smash community is predominantly male.

Why did I give my opinion and my stories with Brawl rather than focusing on those friends of mine?

Because I AM a GIRL!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well, as the proud owner of a va-jay-jay, I totally use Ike, for he is my BISHIE! ^_^;;;;;

OH, OH, AND MARTH-KUN. HE IS SO KAWAII WITH HIS SUGOI TIARA! DESU DESU DESU! >.O

OMG, HEY CHECK IT OUT GUYS! KIRBY DANCE.

>(o.o)> <(o.o)< ^(>.<)^

In response to thread: GC, Donkeykong, and I beat them just like I would beat any other novice. It wasn't because they were female though, which you are basically eluding too.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Um...The gender shouldn't matter...it's irrelevant when picking characters. If you're new, you could play characters with a nice easy learning curve to get used to the buttons and learn some basic strategy, then try out all the other characters till you find one you really like. As for controllers, I like the GC controller, partly because of Melee, but it also allows C-Sticking and lots of customization.

speagle

Smash Rookie
the girl players ive come across like playing with kirby. its not a bad choice for beginners either because kirby's smashes are just hell. too **** strong for how fast they are ><

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Only one character; Pit... For some reason all my novice female friends find him sexy... but I mean, Pit? Not even Pikachu? ><

And I set them off with a shake smash enabled Wiimote+Nunchuck combo

Pit has sexy legs. Nuff' said.

1-ZOMG I’m a girl!11!!!
(I love to overkill men that underestimate us.)

2-My mains- Sonic, Toon Link and Olimar.

Other chars I use/used a lot- Ike (Ike, is our Zamus :chuckle: ) , Ness, Lucas, Pit and Zamus.

My melee mains- Roy, Link, Pichu and Pikachu.

3- Controls- I use GC and Wii-Mote+Nunchuck.

btw- Marth was sexy in melee but now in brawl he is so pretty that he almost looks like a girl...

D13

Smash Ace
A girl I'm friends with likes to play as Zelda a lot. She's actually pretty good. o__o

Andromeda

Smash Lord
When I play my sister, she pwns with Marth.

EDIT: When I played my mom, she used Pikachu. But It wasn't much uf a fight, as I had to learn her how to double-jump.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
My sister, as noobish as she may be, seems to enjoy using [normal] Link and Pikachu. She also likes to copy whoever I choose (aka Mario), but really she's a Link user.

TMS2

Smash Rookie
how does my wife play ssbb? my chick uses my weenie as a joy stick

CriticalHit

Smash Rookie
idk what girls you guys are playing but from as far as i can tell they probably make up 1% of players, and .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of good players. :)

bnestman

Smash Cadet
my gf always uses pit and meta knight and just spams one of their moves haha I just don't have the heart to tell her she's a noob especially since she is having fun.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
So many people say gender is immaterial but only i was called a moron for saying it....i call shenanigans!

Hilary

Smash Cadet
I have yet to actually play brawl, but I played melee religiously.

I liked Zelda and Marth because they were simple and effective with F.airs and shffl spam.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Why dose it matter. Geez why dose it matter what character a girl would play people play who they like. The males that make up a majority of the gaming community need to stop stressing gender difference so much
It doesn't matter. I'm just here for the posts.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Most common mains out of every girl I've ever met who played Smash and didn't completely suck:

1. Peach
2. Zelda
3. Jigglypuff
4. Sheik
5. Samus
6. Kirby

Seriously, though, why does it matter?

Top Bottom