• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time & Novice: Female players?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I've played Smash with female friends before; my neighbor Emily prefers to use Kirby (but when I got her to try random characters, I thought she was pretty good with Ganondorf:laugh:). Last night, my friend Maria was using Peach and Pikachu.

Back when I started Melee, I started out with Marth, Link, Bowser, Fox, Pikachu, and Luigi as my mains.

Five years later, my mains changed to Marth, Captain Falcon, and Pikachu, with Ness and the Ice Climbers as secondaries.

A lot of girls think Captain Falcon is creepy. I give them the knee.

I guess a lot of my choices were based on who was cute/familiar (Pikachu was the first character I ever used in SSBM). But then I realized I work better with characters who are faster, have good aerial attacks, characters that I "flow" with (I can control easily), or all three.

When I do get Brawl, I plan to try Zamus, Ike, Lucas, and Olimar in addition to those from Melee.

I think it's funny- not funny in a 'what a bunch of morons' sense, but in more of an 'lol' sense- that guys are analyzing what girls like to try in smash since the Smash community is predominantly male.

Why did I give my opinion and my stories with Brawl rather than focusing on those friends of mine?

Because I AM a GIRL!

Thanks so much for this!

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
my gf plays as diddy kong and marth. ike is far too slow she says.

my other friend erika plays as samus/ZSS, link, pit, and metaknight.

lol but they arent girly girls, so i guess thats what makes them play those characters (and thank god they arent).

Anu-nxus

Smash Rookie
I only asked because it was something to discus.

For those confused there is a difference between a girl and a guy play a video game.

Samochan

Smash Master
Why you specifically ask for experience vs first time or novice female smashers? >_> Girls not good enough for you? Why it's so important they are amateurs on brawl instead of generalising "all female smashers" and what controller they use? So you could teach em? >_> And why in the world does it matter what char female smashers use anyway? I don't care what character a male smasher picks since everyone picks whatever suits for themselves and that is not any different with female smashers. <_<

I don't see anything worth discussing on this particular topic.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Just a question that came to my mind.

What are your experiences with first time and novice female players?
-and-
More specifically what characters do they do best with or have the most fun using?

Ive found that Wario and Sonic have been the top choices among our friends.:chuckle:
-also-
Which controller would you start them with?
Im thinking the Gamecube's controller, one I know how to use it so I can teach how to use it and second they might be familiar with it too.
Don't chuckle about Wario. I will inf. n-air you into oblivion with the power of garlic.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Why you specifically ask for experience vs first time or novice female smashers? >_> Girls not good enough for you? Why it's so important they are amateurs on brawl instead of generalising "all female smashers" and what controller they use? So you could teach em? >_> And why in the world does it matter what char female smashers use anyway? I don't care what character a male smasher picks since everyone picks whatever suits for themselves and that is not any different with female smashers. <_<

I don't see anything worth discussing on this particular topic.
Awful lot of dialog from someone who doesn't want to discuss this topic :)

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
My sister isn't very good but she plays as Bowser. Me and her usually team up against some computers. She used the gcube controller because she started smashing with me in Melee. I usually play a faster character and build up the damage on the enemy and then she smashes them to oblivion.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I only asked because it was something to discus.

For those confused there is a difference between a girl and a guy play a video game.
Not true , it's exactly the same if all other factors remain unchanged. (factors like total exposure to games, IQ, mental condition etc.)

OmegaWeapon

Smash Apprentice
My sister hasn't gotten around to playing brawl yet, but when we used to play melee a lot, she used G&W as her main and Pikachu as a secondary.

I think that when she gets around to playing brawl, she'll continue to use those 2, along w/ squirtle i think, she seemed pumped when PT was confirmed for brawl.

(Finally 100 posts!!!)

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I was siked about pt but thats cause i have history with blue and red. I played peach in melee cause she was awesome and now in brawl I fit with lucario. Didn't think i would like him because I dont and never plan to play the newest pokemon game but I enjoyed him. I pick characters because of their history, then playstyle, and then fun.

We play who ever the hell we want try and stop us! =P

Basara

Smash Rookie
My sister loves to play with squirtle , she loves him since the first chapter in that pokemon anime....... and also she is angry because Lyn and Isaac arent in the game as playable characters....... She also says wario is really funny..........

Exovel

Smash Ace
Well, I have four female friends that play Brawl. Most of them switch characters a lot because they play for fun. But these are the ones that they each use most.

1) Kirby
2) Zamus
3) Zelda
4) Wolf

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
I think Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu are the best starter characters for girls because if they try Peach/Zelda they aren't going to have much fun because they are hard to use... however most girls aren't opposed to playing a cute pokemon/dinosaur/pink thing. And Yoshi/Kirby can spam down+B and are easy to recover with since you just use jumpys. And with Pikachu just teach them his down+b thunder thing and they will have fun.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
Problem with this game IMO is that the way handicaps work now makes it impossible to play against new players without completely trying to let them win. Basically now handicaps only increase your percent and the amount you get flung, but does nothing to reduce the damage or power of your attacks. Obviously against a new player it's not too hard to avoid getting hit...

So in Melee if you were all handicapped up and tried to fight a new player your attacks would hit like Pichu punching metal Bowser... of course you could compensate with skill unless you gimped yourself too much. Since you flung the new player barely any distance they didn't feel like they were losing control, and since they could hit you far they could stay in the fight.

In Brawl if you're handicapped you basically have to avoid hitting them or else you'll just keep knocking them around and make them feel useless, while you still want to stay in range so they can hit you... so you end up just playing dumb and that's not really fun for anyone.

uremog

Smash Ace
sounds like middle school, lol.
just ask her who she wants to play and give her the GC controller, cause no one uses the other junk.

IF you really want to know my "experiences", my friends use characters all over the board: pikachu, link, peach, mario, etc

funny thread

Oosband

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine has a pretty mighty Pikachu, but then again she does repeat moves a lot and is easy to punish.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
I once passed a note to a girl that said do you like Smash Bros check yes or no.
She checked no.
Then I asked if she would hold my hand during recess. She said yes and it was the best day of my life.
Do you think that we will be together forever? I hope so!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Peach and Zelda were and still are among the top choices for female players. It's probably because they're two of only three visibly female characters on the roster. Identification and all that. I've also noticed a high rate of female Pikachu players.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
Only one character; Pit... For some reason all my novice female friends find him sexy... but I mean, Pit? Not even Pikachu? ><

And I set them off with a shake smash enabled Wiimote+Nunchuck combo
hah yeah...

it's the same with my "girl" friend.

she loves Pit to death, dosen't think he's sexy though, and loves to use him.

I have to constantly teach her not to spam though...

but as a poster in front of me said, you really shouldn't descriminate between gender(your not going overboard, so don't worry...)

Best advice i can give anyone is to treat her how you would normally treat anyone who was interested in the game.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
Best advice i can give anyone is to treat her how you would normally treat anyone who was interested in the game.
You should be nicer than that. Don’t call her a noob and don’t spout racial slurs like Xbox Live users. Treat her like a human instead of a gamer.

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
Tru dat.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to get my friend (who is a girl - as we're not technically BF/GF, I refrain from using the term "Girlfriend") to play Brawl, and she seems interested in Pit. I dunno, depends on the taste of the person.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tru dat.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to get my friend (who is a girl - as we're not technically BF/GF, I refrain from using the term "Girlfriend") to play Brawl, and she seems interested in Pit. I dunno, depends on the taste of the person.
Pit is the new Peach. As in, he appeals a lot to gay and female smashers (aestethically).

icicleblade

Smash Apprentice
I'm a girl, and I use Pit and Ike 'cause I think they're good. Honestly though, a person's gender doesn't matter in Brawl.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
on guys

first they pick are... sonic, snake, falco, ike, falcon, wolf and ganon, after a game or 2 they all pick MK or pit and stick to them lol

havent played much girls, but they pick... peach, zelda, toon link, zamus (the few that actually know about her), pikachu, and even some use ness/lucas... ofc, when they try MK, they all want the pink MK

novices are no match for me regardless teh character i use, but well, thats basically what i see them pick (ofc, maybe all of them dont have the experience ive had in general with smash games)

Aran

Smash Apprentice
My sister absolutely adores kirby, but I think it's because besides Mario, Kirby is the only other character she's played outside of smash.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
I'm a girl? I plan to main Ike. I don't think I'm particularly good at the game, but... hopefully better than "novice", at least. :p

EDIT: Okay, okay, to be fair. XD I used to use Pikachu. I'm a big Fire Emblem Tellius arc fan, though, and I love Ike too much to let this chance to pwn with him go. Non-gamer females in the past HAVE picked the female characters a lot -- usually Zelda. The other gamer female newbie to smash I had over chose Yoshi, then Link. My cousin, who was a complete first-time gamer and played Smash Melee with us over a duration of about four months, chose Zelda, then Link, then Marth. She stuck to Marth in the end, with occasional experiments with Sheik, but mostly Marth.

I do think there's a light correlation between non-gamers and gender picks, but among gamers, gender is *less* of an issue. There may be a weak relationship, but nothing glaringly obvious like "girls use peach!"

And... ack, sorry for the necropost. I didn't notice the age of this thread until after I hit post.

D13

Smash Ace
One of my female friends likes to use Zelda, like everyone else has said.

First post is pretty hilarious.

Edit: Apparently I've already replied to this thread, but whatever lol.

iLike2EatPiez

Smash Rookie
I'm a girl and I can tell you, it really doesn't matter. Most players upon first playing Smash will pick a character who's in games they've played before. Being a fan of Pokemon games, I gravitated toward Pikachu when I'd just picked up Melee. Kirby and Yoshi soon followed. Then eventually (in the months before and after Brawl) came ICs out of curiosity. Now I enjoy playing as several other characters; more than I feel like listing right now. Ask another "Smash Sister", and you could get completely varying responses. Though I will admit from my own experience that Pika and Kirbs are rather popular among newbie girls...

Top Bottom