• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First moves with Ness

Zeko

Smash Rookie
So I've been having a difficult time deciding what move to begin with ness. I mean all of it depends on when the opponent messes up and you finish him or her for it, but what move or combo do you guys find yourself wanting to go to first when fighting online?

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Against most characters I'll run, roll, or short hop F-air around until I can get a feel for my opponent's movement patterns before engaging.

On Final Destination against Fox/Falco I'll usually immediately PSI Magnet until they get in mid-range.

Against most ground based approachers, I'll try to land a PK Fire and then combo out of that.

Against predictable air based approachers, I'll either try to land a PK Thunder at mid-range, or I'll try to get a shield grab if they get close.

If I find an opening, I'll rush in with a dash attack, a grab, or a short hopped aerial.

Noa.

Smash Master
These are my favorite options in neutral.

Sh fair
Retreating pivot pk Fire
Dash grab
Dash attack
Run up and shield
Nairs
Bairs

Those are the options I use most often.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Personally, I prefer starting with a dash->shield opening, to try and fake them out into revealing what kind of mindset they're in. Since shields are so good in Smash 4, you really can't be punished for it. You either block an attack and get a free grab to set up, or nothing happens and you have a ton of OoS options. Remember to press shield before releasing the control stick, or you'll have skid lag and nobody wants to open with lag, lol.

Top Bottom