• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firing Range: an arrow thread

Life

Smash Hero
Hey all,

Compare Pit to the other sword characters for a second. Fire Emblem characters outrange Pit and have higher kill power with arguably better mobility to boot. Link and Toon Link trade those for very strong projectile games. Meta Knight is really fast, can clank against aerials with dash attack, and has a transcendent sword.

Pit has a little of all of those things, and then arrows.

Arrows are hard. How hard, you ask?

Consider a Fox using upB below the ledge. We have some pretty good options against Fox in this situation (invincible back air ahoy) but the one thing that can definitely reach him before he starts moving (and therefore starts evading our edgeguard) is an arrow. Now, if you're in a spot where you can just hold down and it'll hit him, that's great. If you're a step to the side, you suddenly need to delay your angling by a frame or two, or your move the angle itself by a few degrees, or else you'll miss him, and now your job just got a whole lot harder.

So how can we ensure that arrow's gonna hit?

Well, there's no easy way to hit every shot. But with practice and understanding, you can reduce the variance in your arrow shots considerably.

I'm only going to go over the basics in this post; if I find any particularly advanced stuff, I'll make another post (or let you tell me about it first, either way).

First thing to understand:

Your arrow does not go in the direction you're pointing the control stick.

Maybe it just took me longer to notice than most people (I've been playing Pit since like Demo 2 and I'm just noticing now), but there's actually a pretty substantial dead zone where your control stick angle can be different from the arrow angle. I don't have a way of looking at the game's data directly, but I do have a ruler and some leftover knowledge from when I took trig in high school; I measured a few arrow angles against the platforms on PS2, and I estimate this dead zone is between 35 and 40 degrees to either side of the arrow's direction (some error introduced by camera angles, curvature of CRT, maybe looseness/tightness of control stick, etc--it's really hard to tell the actual angle and I don't have the patience to keep testing it). So if you hold 45º out you'll barely angle the arrow at all; if you hold straight up you'll get a little steeper than 45º up; if you hold 45º back your arrow will go almost straight up. In short: you have to lead the arrow angle-wise in order to get it where you want it to go. (There's also another dead zone where you're too close to opposite the arrow's angle; I'm assuming it's symmetrical.)

Second thing to understand:

You have blind spots.

Also a pretty obvious thing to longtime Pit players, but it's easy to forget. There are areas where Pit can't easily put an arrow. Those zones are:

1. The four-leaf clover shape made by maximally curved arrows in all cardinal directions (the reason why SH approaches are good against arrows is that they naturally fit into that zone)
2. The area directly below Pit (i.e. between the bottom two leaves of the clover) since he can't shoot arrows down
3. Any place that would require him to shoot through a solid object or downwards through a platform (the area directly next to ledges, the area below a platform if you happen to be in the air near a platform)

If you want to hit a target that's in those zones, you're gonna have to do some fancy looping. I haven't figured out any consistent loop setups--that's an ongoing project--but there you go.

Third thing to understand:

The arrow travels in a wider arc if you don't hold the control stick all the way to the gate.

By only holding the control stick partway in a direction, you can cause the arrow to travel in a much lazier arc than normal. This is useful for hitting targets that are farther out; you can shoot an arrow that would normally go a little wide of the target, but then curl it farther in by pushing the control stick the rest of the way. This could make it much easier to aim than trying to get the proper trajectory instantly; your mileage may vary.

That said: the wideness of the arrow arc is not related to the angle you're holding the control stick in, only its distance from the center. This means that if you wanna loop arrows in a perfect circle, you have a fairly reasonable margin of error in terms of stick angling.

-

Oh, and for those of you that haven't looked at the frame data thread: Pit doesn't loose an arrow instantly from when you let go. You can hold a direction to shoot left, right, or up, let go of B, and then you have six frames where you're locked in but the arrow hasn't spawned yet, meaning that if you move the control stick around in this window, you can start controlling the arrow the moment it comes out.

That's all I've got for arrow basics. Any questions? Stuff you want me to look into?

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This is a really cool thread. Once I get access to project M again in a week, I'll ask some questions

Life

Smash Hero
No luck on loop setups. The best thing I could find causes you to tap jump in order to have the arrow level off--IMO turning off tap jump is a bad decision on most characters.

Another observation: while aerial arrows have slightly less endlag and are therefore slightly more rewarding on hit, that speed is almost entirely compensated by the fact that they require Pit to go through his jumping (and possibly his landing? I don't remember offhand) animations in order to SH arrow as fast as possible. So if you're trying to shoot multiple arrows in a row, jumping while doing so isn't super useful, may ruin your aim, and opens up a blind spot in front of your feet unless you release the arrow very late in the jump.

I was thinking of expanding on this thread with some matchup stuff. How close can an opponent be to you without being close enough to hit you before your arrow comes out? What kinds of attacks can eat arrows and still threaten you? (Probably Fox nair.) What characters can short hop over arrows? Duck under arrows? If they CC an arrow, can they punish? What about shielding it?

Not sure which character to look into first.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
tbh Arrow looping is there for style and sometimes very situational mind games. Other than that, it's useless.

I have tap jump turned off for Pit so that I could be fancy with arrows, but I realized a while ago that it's not necessary at all, so I'm probably going to go back to my preferred control scheme of having tap jump on.

And yes, I've never used an abundance of SH arrows in neutral over normal standing arrows. There's pretty much no point to it since the time it takes to jump might as well be considered 5+ frames of startup, which I don't want or need. They're amazing for actual aerial combos involving the arrows, and they might be useful for something like potential tech chasing, but as far as playing the neutral game with arrows, I don't like them.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
How best would you guys recommend practicing arrows? Sitting on FD and zooming camera out and messing around for a few hours? I was even thinking something like target test in single player.

Life

Smash Hero
Do everything you can come up with. Target Test? Nail 'em all from as far away as you think you can. CPUs? Well, at least you've got a moving target. Arrows-only SSE levels? Well, that might take too long, but...

Really, the best practice is to just use arrows a lot; I'm not sure the context particularly matters.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
How I messed around with aiming arrows when I first picked up Pit:

Step 1: Go to Training Mode
Step 2: Pick a small character as the CPU
Step 3: Go to a big stage or a stage with 3+ platforms
Step 4: Set it so that there are 3 CPUs
Step 5: Set them to spam jump, but make sure they're placed a decent length away from you
Step 6: Fire arrows and try to hit your tiny moving targets

I found this more useful for just normal arrow shooting rather than looping. I guess you could mess around with arrow loops with this method as well, but I also don't think looping arrows is that important unless you're just trying to look flashy.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
In my limited experience against cpu's, I theorized that sh arrows were better because you could either do it instantly out of sh and charge on the way down or do it late in the sh, while you can also threaten an aerial or a jump to reset the mixup. Idk how useful that is, it was just a thought.

Top Bottom