• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firefox or Internet Explorer?

JennetteMcCurdyFan

Smash Rookie
Internet Explorer = Epic Fail.
But I must agree that the ''clean'' Firefox isn't the best browser in the world, but with the help of some complements, it PWNS.
You should also try Google Chrome if you have a nice Internet. ( don't ask me why, I read it somewhere )

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don't really care if anyone is a Firefox fan or not. You know what the best browser is? Not Internet Explorer. It's easy.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Safari 4 :p? I use firefox. I love it. I tried songbird out just because of the customization, but I never kept it.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Noone comments on my spammy post about firefoxe's alter-ego?

Does anyone use iceweasel? It's almost identical to firefox... They are from the same stream of open source software and the only reason it's named (and logo-ed) different is to avoid a lawsuit... Or something...

Iceweasel and Weegee have something in common eh?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Firefox is better than IE, it has the most support, is a pretty stable browser it has a slight memory leak but, IE is far worse.

By statistics Opera 10 beta , and safari 4 beta are the best browsers right now, Opera is the best at flash/java, and safari is the best at html.

Safari 4 sucks on windows though, Opera 10 is currently the best for windows.

Once Firefox 4 comes out, probably this fall, it will be on top again, and like I said firefox has the best support right now so there is no reason to use IE, its slower than firefox even with its speed boost because of the way its integrated.

noradseven

Smash Lord
IE gave me a virus somehow :/
It didn't give you a virus it failed to have the appropriate protection to stop and auto load script on a page give you the virus, this can happen on Firefox as well, though its alot harder to write the script, this is why you need anti virus software.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It didn't give you a virus it failed to have the appropriate protection to stop and auto load script on a page give you the virus, this can happen on Firefox as well, though its alot harder to write the script, this is why you need anti virus software.
One could argue that IE IS a virus. ;)

noradseven

Smash Lord
Who reads things on slashdot any more, its just a bunch of angry pre-CJ's getting all worked up about stuff, that may or may not be true.

Example this story does it matter is it relevent no its just some random study done by some people who proably don't know anything about computers or are microsoft fanboys.

Also if you keep IE's defaults and never go anywhere it warns you to not go aka 95% of the internet, it is the most secure, even though its proven that nobody listens to any of their warnings and plows right ahead while Firefox, has far far fewer warnings but they are often more relevant and people might actually listen too them. But because of the fewer warnings there are a few security flaws that Firefox has that it doesn't report that IE does. So while Firefox has less security flaws that exist if you follow the warnings IE has less that will occur.

That is precisely how IE is more secure than Firefox, on paper that is. So they arn't wrong they are just using a different definition of secure.

Before you flame me back, consider this I still think IE is the worst most bugged, easily tricked browser, and I don't even think firefox is the best right now it has too many problems still, but its the best supported, and I can't live without my addons so I just deal with its problems, and get on with it, the same way people deal with IE.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I agree with one thing you said: Slashdot may not be very relevant anymore. I still go there, but it's not the same.

But in terms of security, there's no contest. No matter how you try to "define" security. I mean, come on. Firefox is Open Source. Open Source is always more secure than proprietary.

And IE doesn't have the market share defense. Firefox has a large market share, too. Over 20% and growing.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Stupid people are the biggest security holes.

Top Bottom