• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fireballs

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One think that Smash 64 did better than the others was that Mario's fireballs felt more like they did in the original games. In Melee and Brawl they hardly bounced and fell flat.

Maybe it's a balance thing but I hope Mario's Fireballs get buffed for Smash 4. At least make them a little bigger.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yeah, make Mario's fireballs like Smash 64. But just the performance, not the appearance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
True. Usually he can throw two at a time too. I'd want to see that come back

Yeah, That's one of those changes that'd be really cool to see. It would make it feel like Mario jumped straight out of the 2-D games.

BSP

Smash Legend
How about making them as fast as they are in the 2D games? Or making them safe on hit at close range >_>

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I wish the would maybe buff the damage but not much, like by 1%, and definitely increase the bounce and speed a bit.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Mario and Luigi's fireballs are the worst projectiles EVER! It really needs to get some BIG buffer!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
May I suggest the possibility to throw two Fire Balls in a quick succession, but at the cost that they are a tad smaller and do a little less damage.

StatusC

Smash Rookie
The idea of two fireballs in quick succession is cool, but I would like to see them work like this:
Tap once to release a single fireball.
Tap twice to release two in succession.
When you release two they should have different bounce heights (The difference should be somewhat random each time it is used) Not anything too dramatic.
I think they should last as long as they are still bouncing.
The single fireball would do a little more damage.
If Mario launches a fireball, he should be able to sprint forward and cape the fireball to increase its speed, durability, and damage all slightly as a kind of combo move. ( He must have enough room to pull this off.) (This won't be possible in the air.)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think if they could move faster and travel farther it would increase the effectiveness tenfold.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
The idea of two fireballs in quick succession is cool, but I would like to see them work like this:
Tap once to release a single fireball.
Tap twice to release two in succession.
When you release two they should have different bounce heights (The difference should be somewhat random each time it is used) Not anything too dramatic.
I think they should last as long as they are still bouncing.
The single fireball would do a little more damage.
If Mario launches a fireball, he should be able to sprint forward and cape the fireball to increase its speed, durability, and damage all slightly as a kind of combo move. ( He must have enough room to pull this off.) (This won't be possible in the air.)
Good idea. I never tought of caping the fireballs, it would be really cool.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Seeing that this smash is making the characters more true to their games in terms of design, Mario's fireballs may bounce this time

Jessi.mac.fire

Smash Rookie
The changes i see... it appears that are a little bigger this time around

(Don't know is this will be in the final version) But holy **** that range, it almost looks like it reach the howl battlefield in range, and kinda faster now

And i think it those 5-6% damage

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mid-air Fireballs seem to have a rather steep falling path compared to other games; not sure if that's good or bad.

But now let's talk customs!

His Fast Fireballs will be helpful in getting people to fight closer-up.
And his Fire Orb seems devastating, pretty much a free grab if it hits on the ground (like PK Fire) and punishes rush-ins.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Playing the demo, but damn Mario's fireballs suck. It should be a quick speedy projectile to give him space. Instead it's so slow with no payoff and tons of end lag. I could see giving Dr. Mario this slow speed to his pills, because those are high damaging. There's just no reason why you'd want to fireball in this game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Playing the demo, but damn Mario's fireballs suck. It should be a quick speedy projectile to give him space. Instead it's so slow with no payoff and tons of end lag. I could see giving Dr. Mario this slow speed to his pills, because those are high damaging. There's just no reason why you'd want to fireball in this game.
Doc pills only do 5 damage max.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Mario's are slower and more damaging while Dr Mario is weak but quick? Is this bizarro Melee?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pills still bounce a bit higher. What I am generally hearing is both pills and fireballs are weak.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Pills still bounce a bit higher. What I am generally hearing is both pills and fireballs are weak.
That's really disappointing to hear. I was a Doc main in Melee and the pills did so much damage in that one. I was mistakenly informed that he would take after his Melee form but I guess not. I'd like to get a new main anyway but still.. I'd like to see viable Mario again, either in his professional Dr. form or otherwise.

I don't get the point of making the fireballs so crappy, really. It might even be worse than the FLUDD. At least the FLUDD after charged comes out fast and doesn't, I don't think, have such ridiculous end lag.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Mario's fireballs are pretty terrible this time. The only good use I see is when I am falling. They drop nearer to the user, making it a bit harder for opponents to hit you.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Do Mario's fireballs come out slower than they did in Melee? Does anyone have an answer to that?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
If the fireballs were this heavy and would fall almost directly in front of you instead of being somewhat lobbed, they woul db e great for edgeguarding and recovering from off stage. They are decent, but could be much better.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It seems like there's too much lag on them. It takes forever for those fireballs to get out. It's a worthless move really.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It seems like there's too much lag on them. It takes forever for those fireballs to get out. It's a worthless move really.
Honestly on closer inspection, Fireballs are mostly the same as they have been.

Meaning you can still throw them out safely on the ground to control enemy movement, and you can throw them from the air to shield poke at unique angles. You can also use them after F-throw for followups (extremely underrated), and you can edgeguard or catch landings with them.

Fireballs are useful. There's a lot of situations where you can throw them out.

Top Bottom