• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally told my mother of my anxiety

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Link to original post: [drupal=5443]Finally told my mother of my anxiety[/drupal]

I don't like life-story blogs so bear with me, it'll suck as much reading it as it is writing it if this thing ends up being a bit long (which I hope won't and don't think it will be).

So basically, I have anxiety problems, or at least I think the word for it is anxiety. I usually just describe it as worrying since I don't like saying the wrong word, but I'll just say anxiety for the purpose of consistency.

But yeah, I worrying during all waking hours. The only time I'm not worrying is when I'm listening to my music in my car and when I'm overly-engrossed in a video game. Aside from that, I have anxiety all the time. I also have motivation issues. It may be ADD, it may not be; I'm not too learned on the whole labeling and definitions of said labels so I don't want to define myself incorrectly. The way I see it, it's a cycle of not being able to focus or have motivation, procrastination, then anxiety. To describe this in a way that happens to myself frequently:

Say I have a paper due in two weeks. I'll think about writing the paper for a few days; I won't be able to sit down and do it. I'll worry about it every day until the day prior comes up. I'll sit down and try and do it. I'll do the math in my head and wait until I have the least possible time to do it. Then I might do it if my estimation was accurate. Meanwhile, I'm stressed to the max worrying about it 24/7 up until it's done. Once I'm done, I'll worry about something else.

It literally never stops. Even when I have nothing to worry about, I worry anyway. I know most of this is pretty typical of people and especially the kind of people you find on gaming websites, so no need to explain that below; I already know what you're going to say. I'm not complaining about a lack of motivation or procrastination. I'm complaining about my anxiety.

I finally got around to explaining this to my mother after she brought up a boy from school (she works at a daycare) who had some personality "oddities" so I was able to transfer into what I have been trying to say for so long. I explained my situation (interrupting her when she tried to simplify it to just "you have to work harder" and telling her to stop) and I basically told her that while I do not want to take any meds that may or may not alter the way my personality is, if it gets me through college I'll do it.

So, I'm assuming I'll be going to see some kind of Psychologist/Psychiatrist/Whoknowswhat sometime soon and I hope this works out well.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If you don't change your avatar I'm going to need a Psychiatrist soon myself.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah, that's why I've always been worried about suggesting it. I just want some way to deal with this and it's not as simple as telling someone to "buck up son, it gets better".

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Be careful about meds, son. This country is very prescription happy in a bad way.
Yeah, agreeing with this.

I've seen shrinks before, and just remember that you're allowed to disagree with them, and to not like them. Just because they have a degree does not make them an expert in you specifically. They can be very helpful when they work for you, but expensive and wasteful otherwise. If you're not feeling your doctor, don't be afraid to say so.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
When I was younger I had pretty terrible anxiety. It wasn't exactly constant all day every day but I would get attacks pretty often. I got prescribed Lexapro and that actually really helped, and I only went through with one prescription and never touched it again and my anxiety is a fraction of what it used to be. I only get attacks rarely and it's usually under specific duress instead of that terrible pervasive feeling of "something is wrong...i don't know what it is but something is terribly wrong right now" that it used to be. I literally went to one day of therapy before getting prescribed then I never went back haha. anyways, that's not terribly helpful I know, just saying that my experience was pretty good with medication

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
When I was younger I had pretty terrible anxiety. It wasn't exactly constant all day every day but I would get attacks pretty often. I got prescribed Lexapro and that actually really helped, and I only went through with one prescription and never touched it again and my anxiety is a fraction of what it used to be. I only get attacks rarely and it's usually under specific duress instead of that terrible pervasive feeling of "something is wrong...i don't know what it is but something is terribly wrong right now" that it used to be. I literally went to one day of therapy before getting prescribed then I never went back haha. anyways, that's not terribly helpful I know, just saying that my experience was pretty good with medication
Out of curiosity, what kind of change in your life did it give you not having anxiety?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, it's hard to attribute things to the medication or to my general life situation, but when I had my attacks I was more or less completely indisposed and it very much interfered with my school-life and social life. Not being often stuck pacing in my room worrying over nothing in particular just helped me with schoolwork and especially with getting out and doing regular teenage social things. I started throwing and going to parties like crazy. The first two years of high school were spent nearly completely alone because of my anxious nature, I had one or two friends at any given time. The last two years were way more fun and enriching because I could start to make friends and leave my bedroom to take risks or experience new things.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Part of that sounds like me haha (doing the math and waiting for the least amount of time to do assignments, etc... worrying about it in the meantime) and a lot of the worrying without any provocation is similar to me as well. However, I do know my source: Many years ago, before I first came out to the desert, I saw one of those catylist/science programs that looked at our universe and how it would eventually expand so much that it would half rip itself apart. Well, not exactly... but the molecules would separate or something along those lines, after many billions of years. I was rather young at the time and it scared me, especially since I believed that even after you die there couldn't be nothing... I was still unsure of my beliefs at the time but it got me thinking about the universe and how insanely large it is, which also got me looking at eternity, which scared me even more. it got to the point where as soon as I thought about it, i'd get a horrible sick feeling in the pit of stomach, and I became depressed for about a year and a half or so.

It took a long time for me to accept the idea of eternity and infinity. It almost ruined physics for me and it's still a bit frightening but I've more or less come past it now.

Anyway, what i'm saying is that if it's not a large problem, you may be able to 'wait' it out until you get older and begin to assimilate more in to the working world (do you work? It might help as well?). If it's larger, however, action may need to be taken. I don't have knowledge on that sector but support from your family is probably a good idea. They will be able to help you out while dispelling some of the worry as well (for more people working at something usually lessens anxiety).

I don't have a huge amount of knowledge on this and I can only speak from personal experience but I do hope that helps. =)

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
I'm not too big on meds either. I try to take as liitle as I can. I had the same concerns you do, but boy let me tell you. Paxil/Peroxetine (generic) works wonders my man. It changed my life. It's a very weak drug and you can take it in varying doses (whatever best works for you). Ask your doc about it. Do not let them give you anything stronger and do not let them manipulate you into taking what you don't need. Make sure you have docs you can trusts to listen to you and understand you.

Don't get into temporary fixes such as Xanex. That's just addictive. Paxil is a long term solution. It has been tested over long periods of time, and it's very easy to ween down on your doses.

Top Bottom