• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally A Use For The D-Tilt

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
As many people know, the D-Tilt is a hard to land attack. However I figured out a way to ensure a hit.

It isn't extremely easy to pull off but if you practice it it will become second nature very quickly.

-What you have to do is grab you opponent and begin to pummel them very quickly (you really need to press the "A Button" QUICKLY!!!

- Next you want to make sure that right after you grab them you have your analog stick angled straight downwards ( NOT TOO MUCH other wise you will throw your opponent down and NOT TOO LITTLE or you won't do this technique successfully)

- Continue to tap the "A Button" Rapidly while having the Analog stick angled straight downwards slightly

Now let me explain to you what should happen. Lets say you are fighting a R.O.B.

(Because he is fairly big and doesn't go far away when you grab release) You grab him, tilt

your analog

stick downward slightly then begin tapping a rapidly and nonstop. You will begin to pummel

bowser and then when Bowser is released from you grab you will perform a D-Tilt which will

most likely cause tripping, and will always cause stun which is when you can follow up with

an immediate "A-A-A Combo" Now lets say your opponent trips, in this case you have a wide

variety of options. I would personally a choose an F-Smash but if the opponent is at a low

percent then i would recommend an "A-A- Grab Combo" but there are many options to

choose from. Read your opponents playing and predict where he will roll to so that you can

punish him.

IMPORTANT

*This technique may not always work on lighter characters because they may go too far away after you release them. If this is the case then I recommend either following up with an "A-A-A Combo" immediately after the grab release or just throwing them.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Hmm, sounds pretty cool actually. I'll test it out later tonight when I work up the nerve to leave my computer chair. Good find, this kind of stuff is just what we need to get Luigi going.

10/10

Edit: And my sig still shows up everywhere but the Luigi boards. Weak.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This doesn't work. Bowser's grab break is 10 frames faster than yours, and he will Jab you before you can do anything.

Also no seriously, this doesn't work. Luigi doesn't really have anything special going for him from a grab release. He doesn't have enough range to punish an air break. Nobody suffers from ground breaks except the PK boys, who I don't think you can punish with anything special, but I can't remember well.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hmm, sounds pretty cool actually. I'll test it out later tonight when I work up the nerve to leave my computer chair. Good find, this kind of stuff is just what we need to get Luigi going.

10/10

Edit: And my sig still shows up everywhere but the Luigi boards. Weak.
You have to check on the show signtuature box. It takes a while for it when you first upload.
I would try this on Wario since he gets grab released like **** lol. But I think A2 is right but eh testing is a must

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
This doesn't work. Bowser's grab break is 10 frames faster than yours, and he will Jab you before you can do anything.

Also no seriously, this doesn't work. Luigi doesn't really have anything special going for him from a grab release. He doesn't have enough range to punish an air break. Nobody suffers from ground breaks except the PK boys, who I don't think you can punish with anything special, but I can't remember well.
^^^ This.

Luigi has nothing going in his grab game outside of the bthrow kills and dthrow set ups.

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
Hey I did a little bit of testing and no it doesn't work on Bowser my bad. It does work on several other character however.

It definitely works on R.O.B. and I've been able to use it on a Yoshi in a battle. But besides that you can always substitute a D-Tit with just the AAA Combo that works on most characters. Again my apologies I'll get some more testing done then come back here and post the results.

I know that there are other characters that this grab release to D-Tilt effectively works on

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Hey I did a little bit of testing and no it doesn't work on Bowser my bad. It does work on several other character however.

It definitely works on R.O.B. and I've been able to use it on a Yoshi in a battle. But besides that you can always substitute a D-Tit with just the AAA Combo that works on most characters. Again my apologies I'll get some more testing done then come back here and post the results.

I know that there are other characters that this grab release to D-Tilt effectively works on
I'll test this out on some characters today when I go to my friend's house to play doubles. It's hard setting up stuff with the Dtilt trip, because i think the trip rate is only like 1 out of 3.

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
Yeah Yeah, its tough. Its great though that we have such awesome users such as your self going out of their way to try and better Luigi. Smilez =)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It's just a grab release to a dtilt. As mentioned by others above, it won't work on all characters. I play ROB, and it's a nice surprise random-almost-pseudo chain because a lot of times, Grab release>dtilt causes tripping, and you can either run up and grab if you're fast enough, or play the techrolling game (if it trips and you don't get the immediate grab). It works on Ness, and I think Lucas (for lower percents) for a lot of the characters because they have 10 more frames of lag when released from a grab.

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the Input =) Well I'll figure out some way we can incorporate the D-Tilt into Luigi's gameplay. For now though I realized that Luigi can use some other attacks out of his grab release. For example if you grab somebody and use the C-Stick to pummel them instead of pressing A then you will use a smash attack right out of the grab release. I already know that this is the same as the D-Tilt sometimes the opponent gets released to far away so it will work only on certain characters. Well anyways good luck everybody. We can make Luigi top tier XD

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
I wish but unfortunately characters can and most likely will perfect shield that D-Tilt and some characters like Ike could start their own A-A-A combo right before the D-Tilt hits them but this is good we are really trying to make this attack usable.

MrEh

Smash Hero
A grab release Dtilt will almost never work. Nearly every single character in the game can shield it or spot dodge it before it comes out. In DK's case, he can actually Dsmash you before you can Dtilt him.

It may work on Ness and Lucas, but not on anyone else.

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
I was just testing this Grab Release to D-Tilt out on Mario and since Mario's D-Tilt has very little start up lag and more range than Luigi's I was able to get it to land. Maybe we should inform the Mario Boards? Eh well I'll do some testing first because i don't want to waste anybody's time. well thanks every one for your patience.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Okay.

For a grab release, every character (with the exception of Bowser and DK) suffer about 20 frames of lag, both the grabber and the grabbed.

Bowser suffers only ten when he grabs. This means Bowser has 10 full frames to do whatever on the enemy.

However, in Luigi's case, he has the same amount of lag as the enemy. And since the enemy can shield (perfect shield comes out on frame 1) the attack will be blocked and punished, worse in the case of DK.

So no, none of this actually works.

EDIT: Also, lol PK boys

Top Bottom