• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Roster pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well my thoughts concerning the roster (this mainly goes over returning/non returning vets after the Shulk reveal trailer and newcomers in the game):

Newcomers

:4littlemac:,:4villager:,:4megaman:,:4shulk:,:4palutena: - it was awesome how they made it in as Newcomers.

:4lucina: - I mainly liked her because she is Marth without the tip of the blade mechanic.

:4robinm:/:4robinf: - it was cool that they are different than the other Fire Emblem characters, but I probably won't main them.

:4pacman: - indifference either way.

:4greninja:,:4mii: - curious about them and sort of reluctant at first, but they grew on me.

:4wiifit: - caught me off guard and still does to this day, but she looks like fun and someone that my older brother will attempt to main.

[Duck Hunt Dog] - at first I thought he was going to be an Assist Trophy. I initially was against him, but warmed up to him after I saw his gameplay today, I may even main him if he suits my tastes.

[Doctor Mario] - never really wanted him, but at least he is Mario without the F.L.U.D.D. allowing me to main Mario again.

[Dark Pit] - most disappointed newcomer to me, because he seems to fight just like Pit. In his games he uses different weapons and would fight in a more a . It is saddening that his staff is just for show.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning/Non Returning Veterans

:4myfriends:
,:4dedede:,:4diddy:,:4pit:- awesome! And they got buffed (fixed) too!

:4bowser: - biggest one to see approval from me, Bowser is now a force to be reckoned with.

:4charizard: - I always preferred him besides the other Pokemon in Pokemon Trainer's arsenal.

:4lucario: - I am indifferent about the changes given to him since I never mained him.

:4link: - got what seems to be a needed buff.

[Wolf] - said to see one of my secondary mains supposedly (if counting DLC) go.

[Ice Climbers] - another one of my secondary mains.

[Lucas] - was never my favorite, but I understand he has his own fans and wanted him to stay on their behalf.

[Mewtwo] - very unfortunate, he has an original moveset and brings a lot to Smash to boot!

[Roy] - never really cared for him.

Thor

Smash Champion
No one cares about Snake.

Shame, considering without him, characters like Megaman, Sonic and Pacman wouldn't even be possible. He deserves more recognition.
I like Snake.

Also, I wouldn't surprised if in development, they were like "CRAP! We have like a month to make two full characters!" [because 50 character roster was probably the goal] and someone was like "Nah my good Smash bros, let's just make Doc and Dark Pit!" and someone was like "Wait yeah!" and they did that because they didn't have time for another full character.

Probably wrong but it would explain why no Lucas, no Wolf, and no ICs [or no Snake, though he was third-party anyway so I can sort of see reasoning for cutting him].

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I like Snake.

Also, I wouldn't surprised if in development, they were like "CRAP! We have like a month to make two full characters!" [because 50 character roster was probably the goal] and someone was like "Nah my good Smash bros, let's just make Doc and Dark Pit!" and someone was like "Wait yeah!" and they did that because they didn't have time for another full character.

Probably wrong but it would explain why no Lucas, no Wolf, and no ICs [or no Snake, though he was third-party anyway so I can sort of see reasoning for cutting him].
well time constrantes always suck when making a game, and to be honest are probably the reason for some cuts, although for ic it might be due to limitation of the hardware and snake is probably konami saying no

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I hope that Dr. Mario has custom moves that make him more like Mario (fireballs)

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who's a little disappointed? I know the feeling will go over eventually, but right now, I expected more. If we take away Doc, Dark Pit and Lucina (as I don't count them as newcomers as they are almost IDENTICAL to their origins), we end up at 48 characters (if I have counted correctly). 46 if we count the Miis as one character. And if we then count Sheik, ZSS, Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur as individual characters in Brawl (which we should, as they are original and unique), then we see that there aren't really much differente in the amount of characters in the two games, but from Melee to Brawl, we got 18 newcomers...! The big three didn't get announced, even though there's no way Sakurai isn't aware of these. Instead, we got WiFit trainer. I'm not really hating her, I just feel that he should implement a character that was requested, instead of one that no one asked for, or even expected at all. Also, I'm fine with Lucina, Dark Pit and Doc since they were last minute implemetions, so they're like bonus characters, but (and I might be wrong here, they might not have had the time) instead of using time in making 3 clones, I would rather see them using time on bringing back at least one of the Brawl vets. Lucas, IC, Snake and Wolf were all good and unique. Lucina, DP and Doc, however, are almost IDENTICAL to their original character...... and when I found out that this was the final roster, I got a bit of a shock, as I honestly was expecting more.....

That's just me, but. I'll probably get over it eventually. If we are to get DLC characters because Sakurai didn't have time to make all planned characters with the release, then I'm perfectly fine with that. That would be great.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
Okay, so there's this theory on Smashboards I'm currently supporting. It may just be the bargaining phase, but hear me out.

The 3DS version and Wii U version of the game have four exclusive characters each, and connecting both versions will unlock the remaining four in each game. This is supported by the /v/ rumor, and also doesn't make Sakurai's teases look like mean trolling.

The 3DS version's characters are Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario.
The Wii U's version's characters are Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Chorus Kids.

Well, at least a guy can dream.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Okay, so there's this theory on Smashboards I'm currently supporting. It may just be the bargaining phase, but hear me out.

The 3DS version and Wii U version of the game have four exclusive characters each, and connecting both versions will unlock the remaining four in each game. This is supported by the /v/ rumor, and also doesn't make Sakurai's teases look like mean trolling.

The Wii U's version's characters are Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and Chorus Kids.

Has anyone leaked this information or is this just wishful thinking? I mean, I really want this to be true; however, I don't think there is good reason to believe this without evidence or at least someone claiming to be a leaker and providing this information.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Has anyone leaked this information or is this just wishful thinking? I mean, I really want this to be true; however, I don't think there is good reason to believe this without evidence or at least someone claiming to be a leaker and providing this information.
I believe it (or something similar) was linked on the last page of the Ridley thread.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If you want to be technical, you unlock 7 Bowser Jr. clones with him.

Alph & the Koopalings are still very much characters. They're basically no different from the clones aside from being 1:1 & no slots on the screen. They even have their own names, voices & announcer calls.
Thank you! Someone acknowledges that!

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Better state my opinions:
Honestly, this is a pretty disappointing roster. I'll still enjoy the game, but seriously, I guess I can understand no Bandana Dee, K. Rool, or Chrous Kids, but come on, NO RIDLEY OR MEWTWO!? They're like the most wanted characters! Hopefully there will be character DLC.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I'm convinced that we'll be seeing the Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids as DLC at some point, mainly because they have a lot in common. They both have enemies from their respective series in Smash Run, and they both run off of that "multiple fighter" mechanic. It seems like Sakurai wanted to include them in the game, but ran out of time and/or resources to accomplish it in time for release. Mario Kart 8 has shown us that Nintendo is at least open to DLC, so let's not rule anything out just yet.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
A bit disappointing, there are to many WTF characters and clones but at least there are some hype newcomers.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
Well the roster isn't so bad. Just surprised that Mewtwo, Dixie, and Ridley aren't there as well as Chorus kids, like most people. Anyway, I think its been confirmed several times that the rosters on both versions of the game are identical. Although DLC is always a looming possibility. If Sakurai doesn't consider DLC characters part of the true roster, then let us all hope for the best. If not, its been an honor.

73V3N

Smash Rookie
Also, something I forgot to add (probably wrong so, ya). The leaker was playing the demo of the 3ds version correct? That means that the full game hasn't actually been filmed yet and it can be reasoned that the demo couldn't hold such a BIG (wink wink) character due to hardware limitations

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Also, something I forgot to add (probably wrong so, ya). The leaker was playing the demo of the 3ds version correct? That means that the full game hasn't actually been filmed yet and it can be reasoned that the demo couldn't hold such a BIG (wink wink) character due to hardware limitations
It was the full game. And you gotta watch that double post.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep im ok with this i love a ton of characters i wanted are on there

And plus my main is back and has a much better final smash.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
To be honest the roster isn't the selling point for me, it's actually that Mother stage. When I first saw it I was instantly in love with it (with exception to the stage hazard). The roster isn't bad, but I definitely would of liked more. I do think the absence of Golden Sun, Advance Wars and Custom Robo assist trophies, may suggest that we will see them as DLC. I also expect Metal Face to be playable in DLC (if he wasn't confirmed as a stage hazard). I guess my Brawl mains didn't get cut, so I've got that going for me.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
So he really wasn't hyping a Wii U exclusive stage boss. Good way to kick a huge fraction of his community right in the face at least, though from a company that still insists in releasing in Japan early for a game that Japan makes up only around 1 in 5 sales, it really isn't that surprising.

Oh well, a solid roster, a few bizarre choices, and the worst layout in the series, but overall solid. Cutting several unique characters (Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers...) is utterly bizarre. Oh well...

I don't mind te final roster at all. Just kinda annoying the way it's ordered... OCD kicking in.
OCD can be debilitating, it's fun to see it mocked as a vehicle for humour. The CSS order does look absolutely terrible though. Wow Sakurai, wow...

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Roster looks awesome, can't wait to try out the newcomers. I feel like I'm going to be going Kirby, DHD, Pokemon, and Random-Select going into this.

As for the buzzkills, a lot of them dug their own graves and are getting what they deserve. I'm thinking of maintaining a pocket Jigglypuff and Duck Hunt Dog solely to make it person when I find people with sour attitudes.

Last edited:

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
I am completely fine with the roster, but the one thing that bothers me the most is that Dr. Mario got in and Mewtwo didn't. Like, seriously? >.>

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Well it is more of a western wanted character and most of the newcomers sans DHD and the 3rd parties were big last gen- which game flopped last gen? Metroid: Other M. Maybe he thought the series was dying out/didn't need a 3rd character yet. People are still holding out for DLC or Wii U unlockables that transfer over, but we'll see.
Not to mention, as far as characters mostly wanted by Western fans, we still got Little Mac and Duck Hunt. I don't know, I assume Duck Hunt is a bigger deal in the States than Japan, though I have nothing to back that up.

And it's a stretch, but one could argue that the whole Western-organized "Project Rainfall" that got Xenoblade (and Last Story and Pandora's Tower) released in the States is was boosted Shulk from a "Japanese only" character to an international one turly worthy of Smash Hype. So it's hard to say Sakurai didn't cater to us just because we didn't get Ridley.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why people have been begging for Ridley for all these years. He wouldn't even make sense as a smash character.

The only exclusion that makes me sad is Ice Climbers...and a little bit for Mewtwo.

No one cares about Snake.

Shame, considering without him, characters like Megaman, Sonic and Pacman wouldn't even be possible. He deserves more recognition.
That's a pretty dumb statement. He was the first 3rd party. Nobody came before him, and he was possible. If Snake weren't in Brawl, these newcomers would still be in. They would just be the first.

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I don't understand why people have been begging for Ridley for all these years. He wouldn't even make sense as a smash character.
"I don't understand why people have been begging for Bowser all these years. He wouldn't even make sense as a smash character."

PeterJude

Smash Ace

The only exclusion that makes me sad is Ice Climbers...and a little bit for Mewtwo.
Because they want Ridley.

There are plenty of characters that people can't picture in the game, that work well in it. Just because you can't see how they'd fit doesn't mean they won't.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
why would the leak show that All Star mode was still locked if they unlocked every character???
The pic of All Star and the pic of the roster were likely taken either at separate times, or from separate cartridges.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Okay, I will not lie. I am slightly dissapointed. None of my wanted characters got in. None of the 4. Plus ****ing Dark Pit. Screw him.

But hey, rumors about connecting Wii U and 3DS will get more characters, so still have hope.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

Wii U version will definitely get Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Lucas. Chorus Kids has the highest chance in my book. Fire Emblem has enough characters and doesn't need another, same thing with Pokemon. Dixie Kong and King K Rool are obviously not coming, we dont need more Mario or Mario spinoff characters. Ridley is just too big. I'd say it's a tie between Chorus Kids and Bigley. Bigley has a great series and is very unique gameplay wise.

Thor

Smash Champion
Wii U version will definitely get Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Lucas. Chorus Kids has the highest chance in my book. Fire Emblem has enough characters and doesn't need another, same thing with Pokemon. Dixie Kong and King K Rool are obviously not coming, we dont need more Mario or Mario spinoff characters. Ridley is just too big. I'd say it's a tie between Chorus Kids and Bigley. Bigley has a great series and is very unique gameplay wise.
A better argument is that Ridley is a stage hazard, and it makes no sense to make the stage hazard also a character (fighting Ridley as Ridley???).

I don't think Wii U will have more characters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
How the hell can you say we can't get more DK characters because they are Mario spin-off characters. Donkey Kong has been his own entity for some time now with the DKC series and a number of spin-offs from the main line DK series. It's not even remotely fair to treat DK and Diddy as Mario characters, hell Donkey Kong is the only one to appear along side Mario in any game not Smash or Mario Kart, and even then it was technically Donkey Kong the game that came out first. DK series does not equal Mario series characters, or spin-off characters, they barely have any relation at all. Always irritates me when someone says they are because DK is incredibly far removed from Mario at this point besides their annual sporting events and Smash. Wario is to, but not quite to the same extent, but I'd argue he represents a series of his own anyway with all of the influence from WarioWare instead.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
How the hell can you say we can't get more DK characters because they are Mario spin-off characters. Donkey Kong has been his own entity for some time now with the DKC series and a number of spin-offs from the main line DK series. It's not even remotely fair to treat DK and Diddy as Mario characters, hell Donkey Kong is the only one to appear along side Mario in any game not Smash or Mario Kart, and even then it was technically Donkey Kong the game that came out first. DK series does not equal Mario series characters, or spin-off characters, they barely have any relation at all. Always irritates me when someone says they are because DK is incredibly far removed from Mario at this point besides their annual sporting events and Smash. Wario is to, but not quite to the same extent, but I'd argue he represents a series of his own anyway with all of the influence from WarioWare instead.
So you want three monkeys and a crocodile on crack? I'm not saying they're the same, but no more Mario spinoffs. Captain Syrup? Ashely? No side characters from spinoff games, maybe one from a spinoff that has really broken away from the main series, but no more.
A better argument is that Ridley is a stage hazard, and it makes no sense to make the stage hazard also a character (fighting Ridley as Ridley???).

I don't think Wii U will have more characters.
Maybe if we link the 3DS version to the Wii U we will get Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers. There is enough space on the character select to fit about three or four.

Each version will have the same characters, but you will need both versions to unlock them all. 3DS gets Duck Hunt Dog, Pittoo, Dr. Mario, and Bowser Junior. Dr. Mario could possibly be on both without the linking. 3DS gets newcomers and Wii U gets veterans.

I just copied and pasted this reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom