• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Dodging: A new technique/gameplay... MAYBE

xigon

Smash Apprentice
I played a vs. against kirby and did somethingthat canceled his Final Smash. I tried it with other characters and it seemed to work.

Final Dodging

When a opponent has consumed the smash ball, do a ledgehog to get invicibility frames and dodge/avoid the final smash .
Correct me if this is not considered a technique.

Now, I checked the forum 7 times, with 7 different search phrase and found no such post. Now the point is to edgehog when the foe doesthe final smash. This might not apply for every Final Smash.

The ones that can be Final dodged:

Ganon
Link
Kirby
Meta-Knight
Mario
Pit(if done at each soldier)
Zelda
Capt. Falcon
Ike
Marth
Peach

moonym

Smash Rookie
it's a good strategy for characters who have a short final smash (ike, marth, etc.) but can't you just avoid those by keeping a good amount of space between you and them?

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Bowser has it the worst. As far as my friends and I could find, as long as you're hanging on to the edge, he can't hit you at all in his final smash form. I can occasionally get this to work against Wario, too by repeatedly grabbing the edge, falling and grabbing again. Once he got me. The other time he died trying.

A lot of them you can just sidestep, though.

My friend has sidestepped my Final Smash both when I used Pit and Meta Knight.

I can sidestep Pikachu's with 100% accuracy because it's slow.

I tried sidestepping super sonic, but he's really fast.

I've also sidestepped Ness/Lucases final smashes, but it's a lot harder to do and getting hit once usually screws you. (Since I mostly play pit, I usually just fly off stage when I can since it doesn't affect areas without platform)

For those that don't know, you can also sidestep the ship thing that you collect the parts, too. You can occasionally roll out of the way, too, but the best way to avoid it to air dodge, imo.

I still need to test sidestepping Shiek/Zelda's along with a few others.

legoexpo

Smash Cadet
you can sidestep link's and shiek/zelda's for sure.

lucario's though is impossible to dodge in a 1v1. if you can find a dodge for that, you let me know.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's called... dodging.

Do we need to name everything, even when it's simply a use of an established technique? What, are we too lazy to say "Dodging Final Smashes"?

"Dsmash dodging", "Fsmash dodging", "Laserdodging", "Missiledodging", "Shieldbreaker dodging", "Toad dodging"...

Traceur Assassin

Smash Cadet
maybe with ike and kirby but marth will hit at the edge. i did it to one of my friends yesterday. i was surprised but i killed them with marths f smash!

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Giving it a name is silly, but going about doing it is something some people may have missed.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ganon
Link
Kirby
Meta-Knight
Mario
Pit(if done at each soldier)
Zelda
Capt. Falcon
Ike
Marth
Peach
Upon further inspection, this threads needs a deeper reply:
Of course invincibility frames will let you dodge FS:es. It's not a very reliable way of doing it, though since invicinbility also runs out and once you're on the ledge, you'll have to get up sometime (and when you do, you'll be open).

All FS:es that aren't continous can be edgehogged for invincibility frames. You can also use Super Armor attacks to go through them, but that's pretty bad, too.

I see you called in Pit. Then I say Sonic and Pikachu can be "Final Dodged" as well. Not to mention Snake. Just Final Dodge each hit.

Peach's cannot be completely Final Dodged. Because you don't have continous invincibility and her FS lasts for quite some time. And even if you don't fall asleep from it, you still take damage from it (unless you're both standing on a different end of Hyrule Temple).

Mario's Fire Ball also has a continous hitbox that last for quite some time and I do believe the hitbox extends below the ledge.

Also, what kind of players are you basing this off? Who the heck would use Zelda's/Sheik's, Link's/Toon Link's, Marth's or Ike's FS:es when the opponent is ledgehogging (because even when you're on the way down, they can hit you). You can combo into them. Or just wait for an opening.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
All FS:es that aren't continous can be edgehogged for invincibility frames. You can also use Super Armor attacks to go through them, but that's pretty bad, too.
Squirtle can use his Forward B (Withdraw?) to "counter" Sonic/Pika's, Squirtle just gets knocked back a little, still sliding in his forward B.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, I think the only one that you can reliably dodge by edgehogging is Bowsers. My friends and I tested it and we couldn't even get his breath attack to hit someone hanging on the edge. It was funny, but kinda unfair lol

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
you can sidestep link's and shiek/zelda's for sure.

lucario's though is impossible to dodge in a 1v1. if you can find a dodge for that, you let me know.
You can easily dodge that with peach or g&w just by using up-b and floating above and around lucario. dont know about other character though.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
It's called... dodging.

Do we need to name everything, even when it's simply a use of an established technique? What, are we too lazy to say "Dodging Final Smashes"?

"Dsmash dodging", "Fsmash dodging", "Laserdodging", "Missiledodging", "Shieldbreaker dodging", "Toad dodging"...
How about "troll dodging"?:)

Top Bottom