• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Destination approaching tips:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Any other Ganondorf mains who do a lot of For Glory mode will tell you: His approaching on FD is crap. On most stages for approaches he takes advanteges of platforms, but on FD, where there aren't platforms, being the slowest in the game is not good for approaching, particularly when against projectile spammers like Sheik, Falco and Pit. So, got any tips? I'v tried his forward and down specials, but they each have approach problems. Down B is slow and has a good bit of ending lag, so its not ideal for approaching, and side B needs close range, so you need to already have approached a lot to use it. Got any tips?

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Run, shield if they use a projectile, then dash attack through them or nair if they jump

Against projectile spammers you just gotta take your time and roll through their shots, then punish their rolls with sparta kick

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Unfortunately, the only grace Ganon has in this regard is to have acute foresight. In other words, there're no direct answers. For Sheik, for example, the idea on FD is to be patient. She can out-everything you there while she has ground to cover. So try to push her to the corner, slowly, but surely.

Generally, the idea as Ganon is to master second-order planning. That is, if you play someone who never approaches and makes smart choices, you have to think two steps ahead to their one step. Even if this means powershielding twice in a row then reading a roll. Jump over projectiles, powershield them, etc. Your approach doesn't have to be lightning speed - just make your way to them deliberately with powershields, reads and good spacing.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Perfect spacing. I'd say you wants to powershield, maintain middle stage, and pressure them. They might opt to roll behind you if you get too close instead of jumping. Just punish with a pivot choke. Up air clips some of those who jump. You need to be very cautious and articulate with your spacing to approach.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Run, shield if they use a projectile, then dash attack through them or nair if they jump

Against projectile spammers you just gotta take your time and roll through their shots, then punish their rolls with sparta kick
Yes, but a problem is that even when you get to them through all the projectile spam, they'l be in a good position to just use a forward smash and send you back where you started.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but a problem is that even when you get to them through all the projectile spam, they'l be in a good position to just use a forward smash and send you back where you started.
When you get close to them, you can start walking and spot-dodge to jab if they F-smash, or full jump and fast fall fair.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Powershield is a must for certain MUs.

I know wizkick cancels out a good chunk of projectiles, although that stops the wizkick and gives you lag. If they don't know of this it may have a one time use in a match or something lol.

I wouldn't suggest rolling too much.

I usually roll away from them when knocked down as it gives me a chance to shield projectiles and avoid a potential punish.

Against physical attackers I use a good amount of dtilt for range, as well as some mind games like full hop Fair->Wizkick/Choke buffered out of the landing.

Empty jumps are good, they give a sense of unpredictability and can bait into some great punishes.

This will be hard but try and mix it up so they don't punish you for the same approach.

It depends a lot on you and the opponent though, like any dorf match.

TheKingOfThings

Smash Rookie
I'm going to say exactly the same thing that helped me in this position. Be patient. Power shielding is your best friend but you can also mix it up with jumping, spot dodging, and rolling around projectiles. Ganon is somewhat hard to actually get off stage if you plan ahead (ex.some people have already mentioned trying to stay on the inside of the stage, but another one regardless of where you are is shielding and making them think they can get a grab, or jumping towards them and jumping back so they come at you). The psychological decision behind a lot of projectile users is to bombard the opponent with projectiles until you get close, or until they see an easy attack, and then use one sweeping move to knock us back, where we would need to start our journey up the stage all over again. Focus on that one piece; make it their weakness. Bait that one attack out of them, and if that's not enough, bait another one. For example Link loves his Fmash and Dsmash in this position. Samus loves her Fair. If you can get near them, they will have to do something; run away or fight. You NEED to understand what Ganon AND the opponent can do in every situation, and decide whether or not it's worth making the attack, or if you can make them do something. Ganon shouldn't really make an attack unless he knows it will hit. Sometimes I'll take a hit just to put myself in a position favourable to me, but only if I know the attack that he will probably use WILL put me into a good position. In conclusion, Ganondorf is all about capitalizing on your opponents mistakes and playing defensive, but if you look at it in an offensive mindset, you can out think the opponent and they will always be doing things you want them to do. They know you are slow, they WANT to abuse that.

Top Bottom