• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Destination and Ganon

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Ever since I entered the tournament scene, I've absolutely hated playing on FD with Ganon. I don't mind playing on it with other characters, but I really loathe the lack of platforms when I'm Ganon.

However, yesterday at Seasons Beatings, an increasingly popular Ohio tournament, after having Yoshi story banned and Poke stadium being randomed (my favorite ganon stages), I realized that FD would have been a nice choice to take some characters to, as opposed to Dreamland. Unfortunately, I banned it, like almost always.

So, I've decided to make a thread where us Ganon players can both share our opinions and debate on the positives and negatives of FD for Ganon.

I personally think that I should get my Marth and/or Falco "tournament worthy" so I can ban a different stage. Anyway, to kick off the discussion, here is what comes to my mind immediately in terms of positives and negatives of FD.

Positives off the top of my head include the stages size, it's hard to kill Ganon if you DI well enough on FD. The lack of platforms makes edge guarding a bit easier

However, I think that the same aspects of the stage also work against Ganon. The lack of platforms makes Ganons already limited movement even weaker. Tech chasing is also weakened a little bit, although not enough for it to really matter. Platforms can be helpful for tech chasing, but in the end you can do it just as efficiently without them. The stages size makes it easy for characters like fox to camp. Projectiles become an even greater inconvenience.

Really all that comes to mind at this moment, there has to be more though so let's continue this. Later I"ll edit this post to include a bullet list of pros and cons for ease of reading.

Also, along with everyones contributions, I think we should include the suggestion of a different stage to ban for popular tournament characters (fox, falco, peach, cfalcon, marth, samus)

Linguini

Smash Master
For me, final D is one of my favorite stages, open for techasing, and space to setup your approaches.
I usually counterpick falco, sheik, and marth to FD.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I can see playing a falco / marth there not being too troublesome, but whenever a sheik takes me there it seems all they have to do is get one grab on me and I'm dead.

Part of my hatred for FD comes from having my doubles partner maining Falcon. While it doesn't put ganon at the greatest disadvantage, it seems almost impossible to escape his combos on such a flat level.

Linguini

Smash Master
I can see playing a falco / marth there not being too troublesome, but whenever a sheik takes me there it seems all they have to do is get one grab on me and I'm dead.

Part of my hatred for FD comes from having my doubles partner maining Falcon. While it doesn't put ganon at the greatest disadvantage, it seems almost impossible to escape his combos on such a flat level.
For Ganon vs. falcon,do not go to FD, not a good idea.
Against sheik what I like is once you get a grab the same applies for the sheiks stock.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
FD is horrible verses a fox. All they have to do is attack, run away, projectile spam, repeat. I got 4 stocked by a fox at FD, then counterpicked Yoshi's Island (not really a great counterpick) and 2 stocked him. It's best to counterpick Brinstar for the fast fallers.

Never take Falcon to Dreamland or FD either. Dreamland sets him up perfectly for those knee combos, because of the space, and the level of the platforms. He can chaingrab quite easily there too.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
I don't like FD in general, but I don't mind playing Ganon there. Gives him a lot of room to employ Waveland setups/approaches/general mindgames. Don't see how Linguini can possibly rationalize counterpicking that stage versus Marth/Falco/Sheik though. Hopefully, he'd care to elaborate on that.

-SynikaL

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i like to CP it against a sheik because of the lack of platforms. techchasin there is also really easy. it isnt so bad when you get used to it.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
FD vs falco and sheik is a great idea, it eliminates the camping aspect of falco's game, and makes hiim more of a retreating laser spammer, which will often end up getting him Fair'd when he gets to the end of the stage.

It also allows ganon to chain grab sheik to its full potential, sheik can chain grab ganon to about 85% on platform levels, while ganon can only do it to about 50% on sheik, so either way ganon gets chained. Also the reason why it works so well on sheik is that is really hurts her recovery because she won't have the option of landing on a platform, she has to land on the level., which equals death for sheik.

I've found that ganon/marth matches are pretty even on every level.

so why do you prefer it against marth Linguini?

Top Bottom