• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Chapter: How to Brawl

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
There’s a lot to complain about in regards to the tournament. In fact, one can complain about a perfectly run tournament. Complaining is only natural for many of us. It’s what we do when we feel we’re powerless to do anything else. After all, why complain about what’s on TV when you’re holding the remote.<!--more-->

Like I said before, I’ve been fighting a losing batter ever since Melee was released. I picked one of the worst characters in the game and for some reason decided to stick with him while playing no other characters. But it wasn’t so bad before. Back in the day I had strategies centered around items that would give me the edge over my opponents. Back in the day, I could also pick levels that my opponent weren’t unaccustomed to ensuring that all their moves would be timid ones.

Unfortunately, as the years rolled on, the rules became more and more restricted. The first to go were the items. The “very low” setting wasn’t enough to prevent random explosions, so the tournaments eventually let go of them all together. But it was never about the random explosions. Some people just didn’t want to deal with them; so they go rid of them. This was perhaps the biggest deduction to Kirby’s strength.

Next, the majority of my levels were removed from tournament play. Even then, I could still pick some of the more unique stages for my counter pick if I lost in a set of three. Now, all my levels have been completely removed, and I have to deal with playing on levels that give all the advantages to my opponents. At one point in the tournament, there were only three stages to play on. Final Destination. Dreamland. And Pokemon Stadium. All of these stages are fairly large, making Kirby’s weak attacks ineffectual.

I feel like everything has been taken away from me. Some Smashers (namely the casuals) don’t appreciate it when their “style” or “way of playing” isn’t respected by their fellow smashers (namely the competitives). I understand what it’s like on both sides. Everything about the way I play has been demolished. Now, I can’t play with the competitives, and I’m too good for the casuals. So what am I left with? The same thing I started with.

A fighting spirit! The reason Smash means so much to me today is because I had something to prove, something to show the world. As always, in these situations, there’s something to learn along the way. Everything that I’ve gain I had to fight for.

So I recommend it all. Complaining, fighting, and learning. Its a formula for success I like to call Brawling. Remember when I suggested that you can learn something about life? Here it is. As long as you don’t disrespect anyone along the way, feel free to voice your opinion and fight the power. Whether you’re right, wrong, or crushed in the end, you’ll come out better for it.

In life we must fight. But if we’re going to fight, then we might as well Brawl.

Thanks to everyone for their support over the years. My Melee story is nearly concluded. It has a sad ending, but I guarantee it is one of the greatest stories of all time.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If I ever need a lawyer, I want you to write the summation for my defence :p

S

Sneaky 2.0

Do not let your Melee story end there. Let it continue further.

F

falcofuku69

Kirby, why do you keep banning me. I apoligyzed for cursing to you and everyone else. I said i wouldnt do it again and its not cool to exclude people. Its not good for my self esteem. STOP BANNING ME. If i get banned again im sending Chris Hanson from dateline to your house and im telling him who you keep talking to online.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven’t been banning you or editing your comments recently.

I’m not sure what’s been happening to your comments. Just let me know if something is still up.

In the meantime, keep posting about the topics at hand and there won’t be a problem hopefully.

H

homelessvagrant

So that’s how it ends. You know if that’s ever the case then Brawl has no chance. It’s not the game that’s uneven but the people who play it. People are so weak in their own mind that must manipulate the game for only themselves.

How is a course like Yoshi’s island or DK jungle broken. The courses are uneven but so are the characters. Shouldn’t the best smasher be able to get past a slight weakness to prove themselves better and in the end make the game better?

F

falcofuku69

Hey Kirby…i still cant post comments on my computer. I try to post them and it acts like i am but nothing comes up. I appriciate your concern for me being banned but can you please fix it. Im osrry one again and i promise not to curse. And you are still the man Kirbykid. If they have online i cant wait to play you

S

Someone

When adding a hierarchy of characters, there are much more factors to be considered. In theory, this should give each character a strenth, and a weakness.

Even root factors like height and width can give a character an advantage. And the biggest factor is a unique, effective move, like Jigglypuff’s down+B spike is the only thing that keeps it off the bottom tier.

Thankfully, clones have been removed, so there aren’t any cheap ripoffs which are the same except for a different sprite and different move attack-power.

S

Sneaky 2.0

I want to see the link to that journal. I never really perused it in depth.

D

Dastardly_V

Took me way to long to register to this site.
Anyway….

I think when people start to over-analyse the games they play, either sports or video games, they also start missing out on the reason they started to play in the first place: because it’s fun. On one hand it’s cool to disect a game, get to know it’s quirks and workings, and get really good at it because of that hard work. And taking it to that level of competiveness can also be challenging fun, but I have seen people who take it WAY to seriously, to the point where to them it’s no longer about challenging people and having fun with it, but trying way to hard to prove themselves, and putting too much emotional stake into it.

The same thing happened when I played Twisted Metal in for-money tornaments. Spectre was banned, the Amazon was banned as a level in TM2. People started MATHMATICALLY planning the trajectory of the homing missles vs. fire missles. They would get pissed and break stuff when they lost, and just not have any FUN.

There’s definitly a balance between competition and fun.

Just warning you guys now, I tend to RAMBLE ON., as seen here Feel free to send me a “shut…UP!” at any time ;P

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Good article, hopefully it isn’t the end [for Melee]. Hopefulyl you will have one asa deep and awsome for Brawl [minus the ending]. =D

It’s sad that so many stages are banned, the DK ones should definitely stay. I don’t see the brokeness in them, they are small to average size relatively speaking. People are often out for their own backs over a fair fight, and that is shameless. Look out for your own back while keeping the fight fair is the way to fight.

K

kirbykirbykirby

You can’t give up you can find a way to make kirby work……
I have. Kirby happens to be my favorite brawler.

H

homelessvagrant

It’s not the stages or weapons that are broke, it’s the player.

Destardly V: Nah none of it’s ramble, it’s all cool. I think each person should define the line between competetiveness and fun. I find it amusing to get worked up over a loss (adrenanline flow). It just depends how you exert it.

Throwing the controller down and cursing = bad.

Comedically strangling your friend with wiimote ( Not for real, they agree on it) = good.

Top Bottom