• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final 39 Characters Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
let me start by saying that i say 39 characters because Pokemon Trainer is 3 characters in 1, while Zelda and Samus are each 2 in 1.

anyway, the point of this thread is to get everyones opinion of the final 39 characters in SSBB.

did your favorite veteran/newcomer make it in?
are you happy/disappointed with the final roster?
could it have been better or is pretty much what you expected?

my 2 cents, im happy with what we have (Wolf is a big +), but it seems as though Sakurai didnt really listen to what we fans wanted. of all the characters that were being asked for, what did we actually get? seriously,

no Dark Samus
no Ridley
no Mewtwo
no Roy
no Krystal
no Bowser jr/Shadow Mario
no Megaman
no Black Shadow
no K. Rool
no Geno

-there have only been 3 Mother games ever, one of which was Japan only, but it gets 2 reps in likely clones Lucas and Ness, while Metroid and F-Zero get just one each? wouldnt Dark Samus have been a perfect fit for those players who didnt want to deal with Samus' forced FS transformation to ZSS? and Dark Samus likely wont appear in any future Metroid games, so her/its popularity can only go down. SSBB was the last chance for her/it to make an appearance.
-Ridley was #4 on Sakurais poll and hes made into a boss?! wheres the logic in that?
-once Lucario was confirmed, many were hoping to be able to pit him against Mewtwo, but alas, it will never happen. i know how popular Jigglypuff is in Japan, but Mewtwo (along with Pikachu) is an American icon to those who have played the Pokemon series since Red/Blue. hes the first real legendary and deserved to return.
-again, Wolf was a huge addition for me, but instead of leaving Falco out (hes just a clone anyway) and replacing him with Krystal (who could have a sweet staff-based moveset) Sakurai decided three clones would be a good idea.
-Bowser jr should have made it in to start with, but giving him a Shadow Mario transformation as his Down B move (like Zelda/Sheik) would have made him even more unique and exciting to play.
-Megaman... i thought Sakurai stated that he wanted at least three 3rd party characters? many people wanted Megaman, so what happened?
-Black Shadow and K. Rool would have served as the villain reps for their respective franchises, but instead, we get only 'good guys'.

would this roster not have been much better?

again, im not unhappy with the final 39 characters, but it obviously could have been so much better. oh well, see you all on the 9th.

please post your opinions, thanks.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai said there'd be 1 or 2 third party characters other than snake. We got the 1.

I'll edit my thoughts in later, I've got to get to lectures.

Edit:

Okay, so, I think I'm starting to sound like a broken record now (I say this quite a lot on other boards i visit).

Anyhow, I always say that I am not entirely happy with the roster. Yes, it is very large for a party fighting game, yes it is much more diverse than other fighting games too, but it still isn't as satisfying as it could have been.

I feel as though it could have been better, had more resources been spent on creating a larger roster, rather than a larger single player game (SSE) which nobody will be playing 6 months after they've bought the game. Whereas additional characters will be used for years to come, after all, multiplayer has always been Smash's forté, not single player. It would have enriched the gameplay much more than a side scrolling beat em up with the mechanics of Smash Bros.

I'd have much rather had a slightly enlarged roster and a few more events for a significantly shortened SSE and without all the extras (such as masterpieces, I'm never going to play them since I've either got a copy still, played, or played/completed it before).

I also think that some places in the roster were not deserved and could have easily been substituted for more suited characters (say ROB for *insert superior character here*). With the number of Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Dan type "clones" - which i say in the lightest sense - in the game, I'd have loved to have seen some of the older "clones" such as Roy return and "Luigified".

But, you don't always get what you want, and for a lot of people this time around, that was the case. I've delt with it, I'm not entirely happy, but I know come Brawl, I will be playing my little heart out until I've exhausted my as yet, still to buy Wii because Brawl is going to be a fantastic game, regardless of who is or isn't on the roster.

I'd have loved something like the fake roster though. It would have been a sweet thing indeed.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Stop with these threads please...we are ALL aware of the mother/metroid/starfox issue. 39 characters! get over it so we have space in General Brawl Discussion for more imperative things

we have all expressed our opinions on this matter. Im sorry you were late for the bus. Find a one of 40 threads already started on this same matter and vent there

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Of course it would have been better, with the exception of Ashley who could be replaced by an awesome character like Knuckles XD

But it's hardly worth thinking about, I am now content with the current roster and can't wait to use lots of the characters.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
But it's hardly worth thinking about, I am now content with the current roster and can't wait to use lots of the characters.
The thing is, even with a large roster, at the end of the day, once everyone has dabbled with a few different characters, they'll just play their mains all the time.

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
The thing is, even with a large roster, at the end of the day, once everyone has dabbled with a few different characters, they'll just play their mains all the time.
most players would probably have even more mains if some of the more requested characters had made it in.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
The roster is great, Sakurai did the best he could, anyone who hates the roster is an clueless moron who doesn't deserve to own the game, the end.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if you want to complain about the roster you're entitled to that but could you quit stating the roster size as 35 as it is 37 with transformations. There are also 39 movesets total.

Bowser Junior Nutt

Smash Apprentice
Is it a fact that there are only 35 available spots? I've never heard that notion. Toon link and the robot...what was Sakurai thinking!?!?

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
Is it a fact that there are only 35 available spots? I've never heard that notion. Toon link and the robot...what was Sakurai thinking!?!?
There are 35 character slots to choose from, however Sheik and ZSS are not included here. People are complaining about 35 being too small and they don't even know the true roster size. It's quite sad. Everyone said Melee had 26, not 25 because of Zelda/Sheik.

DA

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Overall, the roster surprised me more than it disappointed. R.O.B? I really thought Sakurai would give the fans what we wanted, but as I said, not everything he does will please us. He did leave out some popular character choices that would've been better than some of the characters he chose to put in. Also, the fact the some of the characters are still clones or clone-like bothers me. I figured Sakurai would be getting away from them but I guess he wasn't. Overall, the roster brought a lot of good newcomers, it's just that the movesets could've been a little bit more original for the clone and clone-like characters. No one wants 3 Landmasters, etc.

jmandrummer123

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I actually do like the roster, I just have some comments/questions I would like to make.

1) I really hope you can choose ZSS from the select screen somehow

2) Why is Ganondorf still a C. Falcon clone?!?!

3) Why is Wolf ANOTHER Fox Clone?!?! With ANOTHER LANDMASTER

4) Why are Ness AND Lucas in?

5) Why did they take out Y. Link to put in WW Link when he is still a clone? They should have at least made a new move set!!!

6) ROB is pretty cool!!!

Lastly, I will state the characters that I think should have been in.

Ridley
Paper Mario
K. Rool
Issac
Krystal

If they added even any of these characters, it would make the game even better

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
Overall, the roster surprised me more than it disappointed. R.O.B? I really thought Sakurai would give the fans what we wanted, but as I said, not everything he does will please us. He did leave out some popular character choices that would've been better than some of the characters he chose to put in. Also, the fact the some of the characters are still clones or clone-like bothers me. I figured Sakurai would be getting away from them but I guess he wasn't. Overall, the roster brought a lot of good newcomers, it's just that the movesets could've been a little bit more original for the clone and clone-like characters. No one wants 3 Landmasters, etc.
exactly, well said.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
Like has been said before, while there defiantly could of been more characters, the amount and quality of all the characters is quite high overall. There's a lot of variation too. And most people will settle on 1 or 2 people. I am disappointed the likes of Mega Man and Paper Mario didn't make it in for game play sake , but even so, I'm very excited to try the new characters.
Oh and I say there are 39 characters because PT can be played with several ways like switching relatively rapidly, switching every 2 min, and maining just 2 of them (and all the combos thereof).

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
no Dark Samus
-clone
no Ridley
-too big
no Mewtwo
-agreed
no Roy
-we have ike now
no Krystal
-could have been interesting, but i also dont care.
-o god no
no Megaman
-may not have been sakurais fault
no Black Shadow
-no
no K. Rool
-no
no Geno
-no

quite frankly, im quite fine with brawl and im starting to get irritated with people complaining about it. if anyone here thought we were gonna get a roster of 40+ characters, balanced, and no clones, you were out of your mind.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
no Dark Samus
-clone
Play Metroid Prime 2/3 before you say then. Once you play them you will know that they are more than different enough to be totally unique characters.

no Ridley
-too big
Yet Olimar who is about the size of a quarter can get in. Go figure.

no Roy
-we have ike now
That is like the ridiculous arguments saying Ike also replaced Marth, although I am glad Roy didn't return, as there are much better and more unique FE reps.

no Black Shadow
-no
no K. Rool
-no
no Geno
-no
No reasons for those? I am not a huge fan of Black Shadow or K Rool but both franchises certainly deserve a bit more love if a franchise like STARFOX can get three playable characters. And Geno was "maybe not Sakurai's fault" either, even though that article is a pretty big load of crap. Regardless, he has insane popularity for a character that has only starred in one game, especially as long ago as that game was.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people are complaining that we didn't get what we wanted. We DID. Just nt everything, that'd be impossible. We got Sonic, we got King Dedede, we got Meta Knight, we got Wario (Even in his classic outfit), we even got characters like Snake. You shouldn't expect every single character to be your hopes and dreams and more.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
finally...someone with a brain
I like you. ^_^

no Dark Samus
-clone
no Ridley
-too big
no Mewtwo
-agreed
no Roy
-we have ike now
no Krystal
-o god no
no Megaman
no Black Shadow
-no
no K. Rool
-no
no Geno
-no

quite frankly, im quite fine with brawl and im starting to get irritated with people complaining about it. if anyone here thought we were gonna get a roster of 40+ characters, balanced, and no clones, you were out of your mind.
You too.

It's great to see intelligent posting among all of this crap on these forums. It'll be a glorious day if mankind survives long enough to weed all idiotic people out of the gene pool and forums can finally serve the purpose they were originally meant to.

DA

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Ehh, it'll do. Smash is Smash, after all.

Wolf is still amazing though. Can't imagine why I didn't want him in...I mean, his theme music is so incredibly awesome...

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
Play Metroid Prime 2/3 before you say then. Once you play them you will know that they are more than different enough to be totally unique characters.

Yet Olimar who is about the size of a quarter can get in. Go figure.

That is like the ridiculous arguments saying Ike also replaced Marth, although I am glad Roy didn't return, as there are much better and more unique FE reps.

No reasons for those? I am not a huge fan of Black Shadow or K Rool but both franchises certainly deserve a bit more love if a franchise like STARFOX can get three playable characters. And Geno was "maybe not Sakurai's fault" either, even though that article is a pretty big load of crap. Regardless, he has insane popularity for a character that has only starred in one game, especially as long ago as that game was.
i have played them. i still dont think dark samus deserves the spot.

olimar is in a different game world. ridley is in the same world as samus. feel free to point out bowser and how big he is and ill point to the original game where he ISNT that big.

i personally never thought ike replaced marth. but in melee, roy was power (was supposed to be at least) and marth was speed. if we had roy AND ike, it would have just been silly. kinda like how people were going nuts about wolf being ANOTHER clone (turns out hes not...but people were still going nuts).

no reason, i dont think they needed one. all 3 of those characters could never be in a game again and i wouldnt care at all.

i would much rather see this current roster cut in HALF to have no clones and well balanced. 20 characters is plenty. face it, the competitive community uses all of like 6 characters in serious tournaments. fox, falco, marth, shiek, and then there is usually a "lose end" character that someone can do good with. sure, ive seen amaing captain falcons...but there are only a hand full of them that can compete with the high tiers.

thank you Digital Angel.

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
Yes, you can select ZSS by holding down R. This was confirmed a while ago. She's effectively a separate character.
yes, but shes not a separate character in the sense that players who wish to use Samus' FS are now forced to also use ZSS.

S2

Smash Lord
Can we lock this thing?

If your not happy with the roster, go complain somewhere else. As in, on a different message board. We don't need tons of topics about what people didn't like.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
yes, but shes not a separate character in the sense that players who wish to use Samus' FS are now forced to also use ZSS.
This logic is horrible, she has a completely different moveset, different look. The fact is you CAN still use her seperately and you aren't forced to use her Final Smash. The PT is different to this rule as you are forced to use the other pokemon because of stamina and the automatic switches after a KO. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, the final roster is 37 and will eventually be known as such as soon as all the complainers take their heads out of their ***** and realize the roster is 2 slots bigger than the roster they are whining about.

MysticJon

Smash Cadet
Can we lock this thing?

If your not happy with the roster, go complain somewhere else. As in, on a different message board. We don't need tons of topics about what people didn't like.
dont like the topic, then dont come in. simple solution. im just wondering what other people think of the final roster. if you like it, then just say so and leave it at that.

courte

Smash Lord
who the hell is black shadow??
i know of black bull and blood falcon from f-zero

and in regards to post 21... just wow--i hope you swallow a rusty can on platinum thumbtacks

Igneous42

Smash Ace
meh it's not perfect but I don't mind it. If it had Lyn, Ridley, Krystal and Issac I would love it.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
This logic is horrible, she has a completely different moveset, different look. The fact is you CAN still use her seperately and you aren't forced to use her Final Smash. The PT is different to this rule as you are forced to use the other pokemon because of stamina and the automatic switches after a KO. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, the final roster is 37 and will eventually be known as such as soon as all the complainers take their heads out of their ***** and realize the roster is 2 slots bigger than the roster they are whining about.
ahh have to disagree with you there....

3 different movesets, weakness, strengths, weights, attributes

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
???
Doesn't that argue against your point?
how so? im bowser, he isnt always huge. thus, it makes sense that he isnt huge in brawl. however, ridley IS always huge. thus, it would be awkward to shrink him down. i dont think it has anything to do with a move set...i just think the model would be awkward.

and in regards to post 21... just wow--i hope you swallow a rusty can on platinum thumbtacks
love you too babe!

the only character out of that whole list even worth CONSIDERING is megaman. and i stand by the fact that we dont know all of the details on why he isnt in the game. we could still remove 10 characters from brawl and id be fine with that as long as they were all different enough.

btw, get used to it. people in this world have different opinions than you.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
*Inserts 2 cents*

The roster is good, but not great. It lacks in quality and quantity. Quality because Sakurai did little effort to declone characters, and in the end made "Luigified" versions characters. Quantity because 40 characters would have made a better number, this is in my opinion of course. In which the characters left to fill the roster to make it up to 40 would be Isaac, Ridley, Krystal, Geno and King. K Rool. Then I think we would have fewer people complaining about the roster.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
As far as characters go, I would have loved Krystal, K. Rool, Isaac and a few others, bit we didn't get them, so let's stop complaining, this game is going to be amazing anyway.

The problem I have with the roster is not the size, it's not what characters were included vs which ones weren't, it's these following things:

1. Fox and Falco having the same Final Smash is fine, but Wolf having it is way too much.

2. Toon Link has the same EXACT moveset as Link, yeah his boomerang is like Link's in Melee, big deal. They made Young Link faster and gave him a new look, they really could have done a better job with his moves/final smash.

Other then these things I see little wrong with the roster, especially when they give us:

-SSE (!!!)
-Stage builder
-Online play
-Online multiman
-Online home run contests
-Spectator mode and gambling
-Really great stages
-Amazing music
-Much more

Remember, these guys who made the game are only human.

S2

Smash Lord
i know of black bull and blood falcon from f-zero

Black Shadow is the character. The Black Bull is the name of his car. Yeah, its confusing since the names are so close.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
no Dark Samus
-clone
no Ridley
-too big
no Mewtwo
-agreed
no Roy
-we have ike now
no Krystal
-o god no
no Megaman
no Black Shadow
-no
no K. Rool
-no
no Geno
-no

1) Fail, I haven't played Metroid Prime games but I know enough to know Dark Samus isn't a clone.

2) Fail. Olimar was the size of a quarter. You failed even harder bringing up Bowser due to the fact he has been resized numerous times in the canon and non-canon Mario games.

3) Series need villain reps Mario=Bowser, Link=Ganondorf, Kirby-DeDeDe, Fox=Wofl. Taking out Mewtwo was a big mistake imo, but w/e.

4) This argument could be applied to Marth, but whoops! He's in.

5) "I don't care", you might not, but others do. Opinion, w/e.

6) Agreed

7) Agreed to an extent. Sakurai does have a say in which 3rd parties can join like he did with Sega and Konami.

8) Fail. See 3, series need more villain representation

9) Fail. See 3 and 8

10) Opinion, w/e.

Yes, we're out of our minds because Sakurai said he was going to cut down on clones since he disliked them, and because we got our hopes up when we he released his poll for character suggestions, giving the impression he might have a bigger roster. /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom