• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting vs. Opportunist Samus

Colonel_Panic

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I know my opponent's game down to a T, which *should* give me the advantage. But I often lose because of a lost Nana.

I often know

Here's how it goes:
- His close combat is terrible, but existant. I've practiced the d-throw d-air, so a grab for me usually means one less stock for him.
- To compensate for his lack of skills for close combat (he doesn't spot dodge or missle cancel or up-B out of shield... thank God he doesn't even know of these), he usually runs away spamming missles at me as he goes.
- When Nana's far away, he'll smash Popo away and spam missles to keep Nana at bay.
- This may make the solution easier when I say that his blasts tend to be spamming missles on top of an obstacle (like the top of Peach's Castle), leap back, and blast the charge shot. This results in it being difficult to follow him. Very predictable, but Nana's as dumb as a rock.
--> On FD, he tends to just fall from the sky and blast his shot. He never shoots the charge shot while standing unless I'm really close to him.

I've just learned from the forums to f-tilt the missles, ice block them, etc. What do I do vs the charge shot? Shield? Light shield? If I jump to dodge, he just gets under me and up-smashes or something similar. I'm not pro, but my wavedashing/landing is pretty good and I know how to pull off all the standard chainthrows (except the wobble :ohwell:).

Also, I've noticed that my Popo and Nana tend to be desynched for most of the match where Nana would rather attack the opponent than come back to Popo. I know of WDing in place to resynch instantly, but she's always so far away! How can I change this?

I play FFAs a lot and I main ICs now since my Marth got me teamed, my Falco got me teamed, my Fox got me teamed, and even my Pikachu got me teamed! It's a rough world, but it let's me get better with new characters. ;)

Let me know, guys. And thanks in advance!

Binx

Smash Master
waveshield against missiles, you can always airdodge or block a charged shot, I like to block them, one thing is, if he has a charge shot dont shoot any iceblocks its asking to be shot in the face (twice)

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
you really shouldn't be able to get a grab > stock on samus unless you are wobbling >_> just be hapy your friend doesn't know how to get out of chain grabs yet.

Colonel_Panic

Smash Rookie
Well, he does get out frequently (I usually d-air chain once, then d-throw u-smash him), but I can usually combo him after a grab, which results in a stock.

Thanks Binx, that should help a lot. So waveshield into missles, ice block missles if he doesn't have a charged (or unfull charged) shot and shield charged or unfull charged shots. I call shots that are just split-seconds away from being fully charged that she's not blinking "unfull".

A few more questions that come to mind... as long as I know these, I can make up my own combos (I have the bad habit of usually going wavedash > 3D, so I need to train myself out of that).

Is u-tilt, u-air, or u-smash best against her d-air when she's right above you?
Is it better to attack into her d-air with the above or WD backwards, then forwards, and grab?
Is it generally a better idea to waveshield missles than to f-tilt them?
What's the best way to edgeguard Samus? (Currently I get within WD distance from the edge and WD d-smash if she sweetspots, WD f-smash if she lands on the level, and WD to the edge if she grapples the side to d-smash her when she comes up.)

Sorry for so many questions ahead of time, I just really want to get the ICs down pat so that I can start helping others learn their potential. :)

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
you really cant ledge samus safely, you are better off trying to kill her with dthrow to u smash, but by all means mess with her bombs by throwing icicles at her and then just do what you would do when she is closer. she should really be using grapple mostly, though and you can't really mess too much with that.

Binx

Smash Master
Waveshielding is safer and easier to time and it closes the distance between you and samus so she can't camp as well. The one time I would forward tilt is if Nana isnt with me and I need to protect her from a missile barrage. Even in that situation I would rather light shield. When samus is above you, you should mix up usmash and uair, I would go for uairs more because its easier to time and has more range, at certain times Samus may bomb to mess up your uair and you can sometimes predict this and uair late or upsmash.

Watch the chu match on FD vs Hugs I think it was (or wes) thats a very varied match and you can see a TON of anti samus techniques in that match. A good tip is to try and realize where she is going to bomb to avoid being hit and be patient and wait for it so you can continue your assault.

Top Bottom