• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Styles: The Art of Link

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
i guess my syle is mainly tank link, though i retreat with projectiles if necessary and if at percents i use the projectiles a little more. so basically ive read as much as i could about link and ive tried my best to incorporate everything.

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
I get caught alot with that shield grab thing when i trick them with a projectile then come in for an attack

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
That sig does burn the eyes a bit.

On topic: I will soon be attempting to ledge cancel the Air Hookshot, into another Air Hookshot, into a grab. Why? Because it will be amazingly epic to see.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
heh, mine is a very awkward style. Like every other character I use, I have great technical skill, but not too developed mindgames. Because of this I try not to stay back and spam (as it puts me offguard when people work through it). Instead I try to make him as mobile as possible (edge-canceling, WDing, moonwalking, etc) and usually try to get them to where I can get them above me. either on platforms or to be juggled.

I <3 up-tilt and up-air.

On the defensive I retreat more with f-airs than boomarang. I try to keep them in front (I don't turn my back when retreating, I jump back and WD as to avoid giving them a target) and above (because that makes it easy to turn tables, imo)

I Also get too aggressive though, which is punished hard as link (which is why I don't main him) and flashy (up cancels, d-airing people off of the stage, etc).

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
That sig does burn the eyes a bit.

On topic: I will soon be attempting to ledge cancel the Air Hookshot, into another Air Hookshot, into a grab. Why? Because it will be amazingly epic to see.
thats just the greatness of Green Link burning your eyes

Doomian

Smash Cadet
Well, at first I'm normally slow and unresponsive, when I go down I stock, I'm probably best described as the Tank link, although I still suck. V_V SHFFLed dairs and nairs ftw

Sliq

Smash Master
WTF IS THIS ****!? Everyone knows white Link is the best. He takes half damage for Christ's sake!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Mine is up+b spam. What's that called? Wammo link? (hidden reference to those who recognize >.>)

HiIH

Smash Lord
Don't use White Link in free for alls. "Kill Whitey" comes into play. He should instead be used in single player matches and be "the man".

Anyways, my current strategies with Link are based off of a lone Marth player who likes to play mind games, and let you come to him. It actually works as a fairly decent strategy against speedier players. First it's kind of like a moving projectile Link, short hopping and such towards him with boomerangs and bombs. Like pulling out a bomb, and then short hopping, throwing the boomerang, throwing the bomb, throwing the boomerang, etc etc. I then turn into reactionary Link... kind of. Depending on the damage, and actions, either a SHFFL or a Shield grab is in order. Link moves kind of slowly along the stage, racking up damage.

I'd prefer to be a tank or reactionary Link most of the time, but I dislike just wasting those projectiles that could be used so much more. What resulted is this. It's less effective when an opponent advances, but that lets me start using a tank/reaction approach more, which is what I wanted in the first place.

The truth is, Link's projectiles should be used if you want to get better. Though this was based as a Marth attacking strategy, I try to keep my playstyle neutral. Knowing your opponent is a two edged sword. While you can beat your opponent, you can't beat EVERYONE, and you'll just be thrown off by somone playing crazily. I have almost lost to a mediocre C. Falcon, because I started getting into the groove of some of the faster players around me who SHFFL, WD, and play competetively.

I wonder how effective the most under rated playstyle would be? Crazy? Similar to Aniki.... yet closer to newbish. Could intentionally leaving large openings possibly throw someone off enough, to suddenly switch to killer mode? Or is it just us Link's who seem to get messed up by the 'crazy' players?

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how effective the most under rated playstyle would be? Crazy? Similar to Aniki.... yet closer to newbish. Could intentionally leaving large openings possibly throw someone off enough, to suddenly switch to killer mode? Or is it just us Link's who seem to get messed up by the 'crazy' players?
I've always found random is best when going in as Link. He doesn't have a real hard-to-beat approach like Falco or Fox does, so our only option is to go unpredictable to our opponents. Aniki's style could be described as a combination of reactionary and "crazy", in that he mixes up new moves with the timing/reacting to his opponent's attacks.

Top Bottom