• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Olimar and those annoying Pikmin

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I've had trouble against Olimar. He can just spam those pikmin into oblivion, which is incredibly annoying (and boring, IMO). Then whenever I try to approach, I get hit with a ridiculously long ranged usmash, dsmash, or grabbed... killing pikmin kind of works but I usually wind up taking some damage and then he can just pull out 6 more in less than a second... and they have resistances which makes them even more annoying.

I know his recover is pretty lame, but I can barely put any pressure on him through the pikmin spam to get him off the edge.

What are some good strategies for dealing with him?

usea

Smash Ace
Most normals go right through pikmin. For example, if you think he's going to fsmash or upsmash as you approach, just approach with an attack and yours will win out. I fight against fox and snake a lot, and if they come at me with a dash attack or dair, I have to just move out of the way or shield; counter-attacking with a pikmin just gets it killed and gets me hit.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Coming into him with an aerial that has either good range or priority would allow you to get through his pikmin barrage. Keep in mind that killing his pikmin when they're running around is a good idea for many reasons.

Whatever you do, don't turtle. It will allow his pikmin to grow stronger and he can arrange them by whistling.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
The evolution of the pikmin actually don't add any noticeable change to the pikmin (leaf->bud->flower). Try to stay close to Olimar and apply constant pressure with high priority attacks. As Olimar it's difficult to maintain a pikmin spam if your opponent is close to you, because any moderately powerful attack will go right through the pikmin and hit you. Just be smart about your positioning/pressuring, and don't let yourself get caught by an Usmash.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
you really have to counter pick with Olimar, because vses some characters, you just can't win. if you're a fox guy which i assume from your pic, just use your speed. also, make sure to use your laser/reflector as much as possible vses a throw spamming Olimar; i haven't had it happen to me, but apparently you can reflect pikmin back to Olimar and they will actually attack him, and if you want (i don't even see a lot of Olimar's do this) grab him and double team him with his own pikmin without throwing. reflecting a white pikmin back at him, grabbing him and then kneeing or w/e fox does will guarantee that you take 25-30%+ away as white pikmin do about 5% per latch attack and stay on 8-10 seconds.

basically just rush him, and if that doesn't really work then live in your reflector, or use your laser to do damage and when he throws, just rush under/over his throw depending on whether the pikmin is yellow or not and knock him away, then attack the pikmin kinda like what you do vs ice climbers and seperating nana. obviously it is not as easy as pikmin are super small, but it's worth trying if the opportunity presents itself.

it's probably worth noting that olimar does not have a very good aerial game if you manage to get under him and start juggling. i wouldn't jump after him and chase, but i am pretty sure most character's usmashes prioritize over his dair.

hope that helps, i main olimar, just trying to get people to understand that he's not completely broken.

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
He's not a candidate for Top Tier for naught.
Does Yuna ever actually help people here? Why would you post something as useless as that? Does that help the person's problem? No, it only agitates them.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, here's some tips that aren't about gimping his recovery.

1.) Olimar players don't like you getting too close. His smash attack do have lag on them. Also, while his throw is very long and has little lag at the end, it will not win versus a regular attack from a very close opponent.

2.) You can kill tossed pikmin with an attack. If your Marth, or Meta, or anyone with a fast ground attack, you can just swipe them away. This will kill them, forcing him to spend time plucking more.

3.) Keep track of his pikmin. While pluck is fast, its not fast enough that he can safely pluck when an opponent is near him. If you can kill a couple pikmin and seperate him from a few more (by them being attached to you, or being used by his throw or f-smash) he might find himself in a scenario where he's either low on pikmin or has the wrong ones.

Olimar is very vulnerable if he's either low or stuck with certain types (like say, 2 whites, which aren't going to help him knock an opponent back very far). This is a double strike against Oli, since not only can he not defend himself... but without pikmin he has virtually no recovery option.

4.) Spam him with projectiles.

Olimar players want you to either be A.) Very far away so they can toss pikmin and rack up damage or B.) just far enough away where they can hit you with an F-smash or dashing sheild grab.

Characters like Pit can for Olimar to play less defensive by arrow spamming. Olimar's want to play defensive most of the time, so make them come to you.

5.) Don't stand on platforms above him or attack from directly above him.

His upsmash is probably his most powerful move. Its a KOer too. Not to mention it doesn't seperate the thrown pikmin from him for more than a split second. This is one of Olimar's safest and most powerful moves, so don't put yourself in a situation to get hit by it.

As we get better I'm sure more detailed and character specific strats will come in. This isn't supposed to be an end-all way of countering olimar, just some things to keep in mind. I'm sure Oli tactics will evolve dramatically in the next month or so.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I haven't had any trouble fighting Olimar yet. Here's some character specific recommendations:

Ike: Use his standard a-moves. They come out just quick enough to hit and have enough range to hit other oncoming Pikmin. If you want to approach, try using his side-b or aerials.

Pit: Spam the arrows. Make him come to you. Use either Mirror Shield or his Side-B (No idea what it's called) They should either A) Reflect them back or B) Destroy them

Zelda: Spam Din's Fire. Make him come to you. Once he approaches you, use Nayru's Love to reflect the Pikmin. I'm not sure if that works, but it probably should.

I dunno'. He's relatively easy for me, 'cuz I play Lucas.

If you have other questions, I'll check back on this thread.

Top Bottom