• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Marth

Kirby's_Cake

Smash Rookie
I need help fighting aMarth of equal or slighly better skill than me.

I'm not all good at Brawl and after a long summer of being absent from it I've start playing again and I'm touching up at my WoP and spiking with Dair.

I've only been playing against computers for the past two days and can easily 2-3 stock a lvl 8 computer

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Well, playing against Marth requires patience. A good marth player is probably spacing his Fair pretty well and should be approaching on the ground with overB. (Marth's forwardB combo) to counter this style u should try and running shield into his Fair when he is landing. If he jumps b4 u can attack make sure to u shield again. Like i said Patience is key. Running A is a good way to approach especially when Marth does a jump to Fair. When Marth isn't using Fair or if ur in a good position when he is, use ur Utilt and immediately jump and Bair him. Then try and get in a position to Bair him again. Once u get Marth off the stage aggressively chase him. Its not safe for him to use many moves while trying to get back on the stage so being hyper aggressive with Bair when u've hit him off is a good way to get low percent kills. Dont try and Dair him. Its hard and and then u have to recover against Marth's Dair if u wiff ur own Dair. Which is hard if the Marth player is good at spiking

ron561

Smash Journeyman
playing marth requires you knowing when and not to shield...not rolling into him...and punishing his missed attacks.

other than that it takes patience like said earlier...i just play the game how it goes along.so i can't give any real game strats besides those.i'd have to show.

Vengeful

Smash Cadet
Try to make the Marth approach you, if you need to approach what I do is I shield his fair then SHFFbair. Once you hit marth off the stage you need to take that chance to WoP him to his death, take advantage of the low% kills when you see the opportunity. Try to avoid using attacks that have a lot of lag in this match up because he can punish you with a f smash or the dancing blade.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
dancing blade
AHHHH I hate that move...most Marths spam that, and sadly it seems hard to punish. I think one of my very hardest matchups is also against Marth, but I haven't played a good one in a while. I played Sasukebowser (Toon Link main) and his first fight was Marth vs my Kirby..and I 3-stocked him. :/ He was just warming up though, when he got to fighting more and using other characters, he won a lot of games.

So yeah...Dancing Blade is lame. And does hella damage, I once got hit by just the last poke of his downwards rapid attack part of that, and it did 3 damage by itself?

If anyone plays a great Marth feel free to challenge me to BATTLE!

Kirby's_Cake

Smash Rookie
I really need to work on my WoP I have pretty good timing with it but not perfect and school starts for me in about 2 1/2 weeks so I gotta be at the top of my game

something good though is if we have a team tourney we'll more than likely be partners

Ryos4

Smash Lord
i just picked up kirby recently. But ive found marth to be semi challenging. I found the best way to deal with one is to abuse all the tiny combos kirby can do into an fsmash. There are several.

Like umm. Kirbys grab combo to Fsmash, Dtilt to fsmash, dair to fsmash, fair cancel to fsmash, jab combo to fsmash. Some of them that i know of, there are probably more but it would get repetitive.

Kirby's_Cake

Smash Rookie
How would hit and run work?
and sucking them up and spitting them out under the stage then Bairing them farther under (on FD of course)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
hmm hit and run would work i guess. But it can get a lil predictable, especially with no real projectile. A good marth would pick up ur rhythm and probably throw an fsmash or something right into ur face as u charge in. And spitting people under the stage would work on marth, but u have to be careful he doesnt stage spike u too with his dolphin blow, its got some huge knock back even at low %.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
a good marth player wont stay that close to the stage and will try and bait u into using inhale off the ledge. Once u use it and he's out of range he'll Fsmash u.

U should only use inhale when Marth is recovering to spit him farther away from the edge.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Cant they jump again? wouldnt that just give them more of a chance to recover?

Kirby's_Cake

Smash Rookie
not if you can do WoP effectively
also I'm getting better at this is WoPing them under the stage.

and Dairing them to their death is so much fun

Top Bottom