• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Falcon...

Chip.

you know what to do
WARNING!

This information is clearly outdated and I have had much, much more Falcon experience than this as of today. So yeah this info is pretty much lame, but you can always ask me on my other thread if you want more solid advice from me and other players.

Have a good day, thank you :)

Old lame crap from nearly a year ago now-

Hey, everyone this is Chip :) and I would just like to say that last Saturday I went to a local tourney and got 2nd and lost to a Falcon player. But not any Falcon player, he was the best Falcon in Washington and is ranked 8th or so overall in the state. His name is R.C. and he was basically undefeated, although I did well in the Finals still almost beating him in my matches.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to talk about Falcon and how to fight him. Falcon is.... stupid. He's a good counter for Young Link and is a difficult matchup.

Basically, in this matchup, you can't make a single mistake or else Falcon will exploit your error and destroy you. Falcon can 0-death combo you if you fall directly in his deathly arials, if your not careful.

Falcon is a Fast-Faller, so that makes him even more dumber than he is already. This means you can't combo to save your life when he's at low %. Once you hit him with a good attack to start comboing, like using the famous Rang to start up a spark, he'll just lump to the ground, Tech, and get away from the rest of your combo.

At the beginning of the match...

Now, at your earlier stages in your %'s, Falcon likes to do a good deal of startup damage with arial->grab. Wheather this be Nair, Uair, or Fair -> grab they all work at low percents.

Arials

Falcon is an arial raving beast, everyone of them are quite effective in their own aspects against Young Link. It's safe to say that about 80% of all your deaths will be inflicted by the Knee. He has insane combos that will all follow up and into arials into a "Knee".

His nair is superb to SHFFL and start up combos. Expect this to be a very common SHFFL of his and that he'll do it quite a lot out of his shield.

His Uair is great to string combos together and finish oppononents off sometimes.

Bair is powerful and can easily kill you with it as an edgeguard if you are not paying much attention.

Dair is a sick attack. You'll see this attack used a lot out've Falcon's shield. He can also mindgame and Tech-chase you with it and, along with his u-throw, it's his best combo starter and the Dair easily leads to an auto-Fair.

Yes...Fair the almighty. His Knee is devastating when it hits you. Falcon's best finishing move expect it used mainly to finish combos, but is sometimes SHFFL'd at you or used as an edgeguard when you're recovering.

Combos

Rawr, throws and arials! DEATH!

His Defense game

Now I should mention some terrible things about his nair and dair especially. What's bad about it? The Dair has lag at the beginning before he juts out his feet for the attack to be in full force AND the Nair is a two point double hit. That means DON'T SPOTDODGE AFTER YOU SHFFL OR ATTACK A SHIELDING FALCON! Never approach Falcon with SHFFL's when he's shielding; spam back and wait for him to come out of his shield instead. If he does block you when you SHFFL a nair at him, then do an up smash after your nair. This will potentially neutralize his dair or nair out of his shield sometimes. Because it's an automatic hit if you do spot dodge.

Grab Game

You should also know that Falcon will probably 90% of the time u-throw you because of combo potential. An easy 0-death combo is uthrow->nair->uair->uair->FAIR=Death.
And at very high %'s he might then d-throw you to pop you up for a Knee.

Falcon likes to Jump-Cancel his grabs to reduce lag. JC Grabs are something Falcon's enjoy doing esp. when they mindgame you with a quick dash back-and-forth and then grab you. You should be able to predict that it's coming pretty easily when he turns his back on you and then instantly dashes back. To stop it, just SHFFL a nair.

How to fight him with Young Link!

At the beginning of the match...

So how to fight him? Well, your Spam game is vital in this battle. Falcon, can't do anything but shield your projectiles and wait. Great Spamming is key to victory, so space them well. But once he sees that the barrage may have slightly stopped, he might charge in for a nair->grab OR dash backwards then back twords you and Jump-Cancel Grab you.

When he does, I suggest you SHFFL or Full-hop Nair in the air which will almost surely hit him, depending if he's on the ground trying to JC grab you OR jump in the air and do an arial.

Arials

Nair will give Falcon a lot of trouble. Nair is great to keep Falcon away from you when he's up in your face. Although, don't randomly just run to him and SHFFL a nair at him, that could get you hurt quite a bit ;). Nair is also a great killer.

Bair is a great arial against Falcon too. Reverse Shield grabbing OR Bair->reverse up smash is good after bair to do.

Uair comboing ***** Falcon, when you start to get it on him, you can expect a lot of damage from it =D

Use random dairs if he follows you around too much.

Combos

Spam combo whenever you can against Falcon.

Bomb-rang-nair

Uair combos are really good.

Defense Game

Nair is also something very effective against Falcon for protection. Full hop-nairs shields good defense and keeps opponents back when they charge at you for an attack.

DI'ing is VERY IMPORTANT in this match. Those 0-death combos he has can easily be stopped if you have good DI. Whenever Falcon U-throws you, ALWAYS smash DI behind or forward from Falcon's direction because this will negate his super death combo but might instead just land a single Uair on you.

Grab game

One good thing about Falcon being a Fast Faller is that you can Sudo-Chain grab him from 0-30%. That's right, Young Link has a chain grab.... sorta :p.

U-throw->*wait for him to touch floor*->grab->U-throw->repeat. Make sure to stall your grab if he starts to catch on to your little game in case he sides step dodges.

When he's about the 100%ish zone, then try d-throws into tech chase grabs or tech chase boomerang.

Then, after you grab and d-throw, try to land a nair on him.

"Finish Him!"

You can actually kill Falcon pretty easily. D-smash his recovery upB. When he's recovering from FAR away, then edgehog him. If he happans to land on the stage, then ledgehop->Dair him. Also, if he tries to jump high up over your head, then Uair him or try and land a Dair. There is also a chance to land a Fire Spike on him. Since Falcon is a big target and he is completely vulnerable during his upB, the Fire Spike's hitbox has a good chance of nailing him if you dair when he's above. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then stick with hitting him with Uairs.

D-smash severely molests Falcon when you can hit him off the stage.

I reccomend good kill moves like, D-smash, Nair, U-air, F-tilt, and the Bomb Plant. Bomb Plant should kill at around 150% and is simple as pie to do.

Whoo, that felt good to get out of me :). I just hoped I can help everyone who's ever fought a nasty Falcon before XP.

Thanx everyone, hoped it helped ^_^

-Chip

JoyfulDoom

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this, this might actually help my Falcon a bit too. (I'm a Falcon player) But I do know your pain. I play Y.Link for fun in friendlies alot and it's a pain to fight a Falcon that runs circles around you and next thing you know your in the air all over the stage.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Pretty good info. The thing that I hate most when your facing a falcon is when you miss a shield grab which could lead to your death by the Knee.

JoyfulDoom

Smash Apprentice
I think there's time for 2 SHFFL'd knees from the hookshot animation and pulling it back. Might take a Raptor Boost if your lucky. It would suck BAD to miss a shield grab tho.

ThAtMoos3Guy

Smash Cadet
I pulled young link out on PC Chris at a tournament last weekend. He pulled out Falcon. He tooled on me for a few minutes. he did the 0-death combo of: uthrow->nair->uair->uair->FAIR=Death. It was awesome.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
man, ur lucky u even get to face any actual pros. everyone around my area isnt really competitive. and i have to travel like 1 hour drives to attend and real tournaments. but yea, last tournament i went to that had competitive smashers. i got owned while using young link. once by a CF and then the rest were peaches and falcos. i was quite disappointed at the peach matches, doh

captain falcon is really fast and because of that he can capitalize on most situations. i too, got KO'd by the uthrow-nair-uair-uair-knee combo lol i was amazed even if i lost the match.
</ramble>

anyway chip this is a really sweet little guide to playing Captain Falcons. u covered a good amount of info in this matchup, there prolly couldve been more to explain but u did a great job. hopefully i can use this info in the next local tourny

Laijin

Smash Hero
Also. N-air should be your main defense in close quarters. N-airs usually overide Falcon's knee for some reason. If he is chasing you and running in for a grab(meaning..not doing an aerial), then try bomb dropping. Falcons that are pure offensive will normally get hit by this, allowing you to space properly and such.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
I pulled young link out on PC Chris at a tournament last weekend. He pulled out Falcon. He tooled on me for a few minutes. he did the 0-death combo of: uthrow->nair->uair->uair->FAIR=Death. It was awesome.
Which tournt were you at because the one I'm thinking of is Vesticle. And if you were there then were you the one who kept spamming upB in the doubles match when your teamate was out of the match, when you were fighting a Bowser and DK?

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I remember those matches you had with R.C.,chip :) .those were some pretty close matches in the finals.Good guide BTW.I just hate falcon overall.I saw zeruo doing a combo on fumi,it was something like this: Uthrow+Uair+Uair+Fair=Death,But it was near the edge though.

ThAtMoos3Guy

Smash Cadet
Which tournt were you at because the one I'm thinking of is Vesticle. And if you were there then were you the one who kept spamming upB in the doubles match when your teamate was out of the match, when you were fighting a Bowser and DK?
I wasn't in the doubles tourney.

Chip.

you know what to do
On topic please people, or leave.

Thanks to everyone who thought of it helpful ^_^. It's not a Falcon guide.... just a thread on how to defeat Falcon XD. I'll update it more when I'm not lazy.

Anyway, welcome to people who found it useful ^_^.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
Fighting falcon with Y. Link is easy, provided you do one thing:

be flawless.

Being left with lag of any kind is a suicide note. A skilled falcon can always capitalize on this, regardless of percentage, they can and often will shuffle you to death. However, as long as you keep your cool (very difficult to do, as falcon's impressive speed can be very intimidating and can cause your defensive attempts to fall all over themselves) then just keep spamming your little Kokori heart out, repeatedly n-air his face and then defend against his terribly predictable recovery. Do that and don't screw it up frequently (you're bound to screw it up eventually though) and Falcon will fall.

Note: I realize typing Perfection is a lot easier then actually doing it, but that's what it takes.

This guide is, all in all, great. I appreciate the thouroughness of it.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Yea, that air combo of Falcon's is a terrible killer. I always have trouble against pro-falcons.

Zjiin

Smash Master
So i'm having trouble edgeguarding falcon. I thought it would be easy with the d-tilt since a lot of falcons try to sweet spot or go over to get back on, but i seem to have more problems with it than i expected. I uploaded a match just to give an example. (please ignore the sub-par playing from my end, this is just to show how i can't edgeguard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfTL4m-3jz8

Should i do more off-the-level nairs?

Laijin

Smash Hero
If they try and sweet spot, then the lai-fire should be beyond easy to use. At high %s, lai-fire d-air. At lower %s, lai-fire d-tilt spike. If they are recovering from the side, then jump off and n-air them.

Chip.

you know what to do
Just Dsmash >_>

Dsmash works better than dtilt since they can meteor cancel and Tech dtilts. Dsmash can only be Teched, which is much harder to do than meteor cancels. I find it far more reliable in Falcon sweetspot recoveries.

Yeah Nair ***** too.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Just Dsmash >_>

Dsmash works better than dtilt since they can meteor cancel and Tech dtilts. Dsmash can only be Teched, which is much harder to do than meteor cancels. I find it far more reliable in Falcon sweetspot recoveries.

Yeah Nair ***** too.
d-tilt spike combined with Lai-Fire just looks cooler :\
Besides, if they tech or cancel you can just keep doing it till they died. I remember playing a match with Green Mario and I Lai-Fire d-tilt spiked him repeatedly. He teched like 15 times in a row as I kept hitting him down until he messed up and died.

Chip.

you know what to do
d-tilt spike combined with Lai-Fire just looks cooler :\
Besides, if they tech or cancel you can just keep doing it till they died. I remember playing a match with Green Mario and I Lai-Fire d-tilt spiked him repeatedly. He teched like 15 times in a row as I kept hitting him down until he messed up and died.
Ya that works too

I like Dsmash since it's stronger/comes out faster/more knockback anyway

>_>;

Top Bottom