• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fierce Diety Link For SSBB

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
To all of you who are saying he'd be too god-like:

What exactly is going throught that brain of yours?

You do know that the game gets balanced before release, right? They design the moves to have some balance. I don't see Ganondorf being too god-like, or Mewtwo for that matter... or Bowser.

So... basically, please think before you spout propaganda people.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
2woShots said:
Hey, Oni Link is ********, and the thought of him getting into Brawl is ********.

You honestly want to put ANOTHER Link in this game? How ****ing stupid are you? Variety would be a better idea, instead of having 2-3 ****ing Links. I would rather see a ****ing GOOMBA in this game than Oni Link. You people come up with the ****tiest ****ing ideas ever, and if you made the game, nobody would buy it.
And I bet you think Olimar is a great fighter..... OHH BOY A GOOMBA????? YOU RATHER HAVE A GENERIC ENEMY THAT CAN BE KILLED BY STEPPING ON IT THAN A BAD@SS THAT CAN KILL MONSTERS 5 TIMES HIS SIZE?? I really hope your not serious.

Mic_Fox said:
This is stupid, do we really want Super Saiyan Link? No. He was too powerful, even in the game, being restricted to boss fights only. Simply put, there is absolutley NO CHANCE of him getting in.
Actually yes. We do need a Super Saiyan Link (Hey I like DBZ, deal wit it). And just because he is powerfull in MM doesn't mean he will be that powerfull in SSBB. Plus he has a two-handed sword, making him a semi-slow, heavy character.

Resting_Fox said:
The best way to do it is to make it Y.Link's Super Attack!
NNOOOO!!! Why have Y.Link return when you can have a completely original character?!?!

Mic_Fox said:
FD Mask was ONLY used in boss fights.
There are ways to play as Oni Link outside boss fights without gameshark.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJCKKr0MnS8&search=Oni Link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mea2MRFb0tA&search=Oni Link

Gamefaqs said:
FIERCE DEITY LINK IN TERMINA
(Note: Glitch does not work in European (P.A.L.) versions of the game.)

To perform this glitch, you must first enter Sakon's Hideout on the
third day. It doesn't matter whether you go through the sidequest or
use the glitch above, but the glitch method is preferred sinceit gives
you more time to take advantage of the glitch. Have Link put on any
non-transformation mask (except the Keaton Mask, should you use the
glitch method to enter the hideout). Make sure Fierce Deity's Mask is
NOT on a C button. When control switches to Kafei, pause the game and
assign FD's Mask to the same C button that had the mask Link was
wearing. When control returns to Link, he will put on the new mask and
transform into Fierce Deity Link (Oni Link)! From here, finish the
hideout so that you're back outside in Ikana Canyon. After Kafei runs
off, jump into the river and swim downstream (to your right). You
should end up in the Southern Swamp. From there, you can go on to
Termina Field and do whatever you want as Oni Link.
I've done it myself many times already.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I think the issue is that they should be God-like compared to the rest of the characters. I'd say especially Mewtwo. I'm not a big Pokemon fan, I played through the originals and that's about it for me. But Mewtwo was ****ing powerful, in no way shape or form should most of those characters be able to beat the **** out of him like they do. And likewise for Ganondorf and Bowser for that matter. At least they're closer, though, the only reason you can beat the **** out of them is because they're big and slow, but they don't do Mewtwo justice in that game at all, he probably shouldn't even be in it, really.

And you guys do know that DBZ is supposed to be a comedy, right? Think about it. How many other Japanese anime characters could match up to the DBZ characters? They're so powerful it's supposed to be funny. So take it with a grain of salt, comparing FDLink to DBZ is flattering, but supposed to be funny because it's overkill. I don't like the idea of it being a move, though, that's just gay.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chidosengan said:
There are ways to play as Oni Link outside boss fights without gameshark.
And do you think they'll do something in SSBB because you could do it in another game by using a gameshark or some other glitch? No.

Torilla

Smash Cadet
Oni Link would have huge reach, plus those discs he shoots from the sword when swinging it.

l33t IMO, but he should be tuned down if he'd be a separate character.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
NO! He shouldn't be in this game at all. I'm so tired of hearing 50 Link suggestions when 1 is enough!

Let's add Raccoon Mario, Metal Mario, Hammer Mario, Mini Mario, Giant Mario, Shell Mario, and Paper Mario while we're at it. The only reason that makes any sense I've seen to put him in is because he's "cool" and that is a weak reason.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Jesus Mic_Fox!! Why do you hate Oni Link so much?? HOW CAN YOU HATE THIS!?!?!?

I just don't get you, d@mn it!!

Torilla said:
Oni Link would have huge reach, plus those discs he shoots from the sword when swinging it.

l33t IMO, but he should be tuned down if he'd be a separate character.
My point exacly. He would be a perfect addition.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Don't be idiots, just because someone doesn't want a character in Brawl doesn't mean they hate him. I named at least 5 different Marios who I don't want in Brawl, but I still like them.

He wouldn't be the perfect addition at all. That's like adding Super Sonic AND Sonic in Brawl.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
But they had Link and Y.Link in SSBM! Whats wrong with substituting Y. Link with Oni Link? What's wrong with having characters with the same name and different attacks?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I say get rid of all Links except the original. I didn't see anyone who played Y.Link over Link. We need more original characters instead of a beefed up version of Link.

Like I said, there is something wrong with having characters with the same name and different attacks but then again that never happened did it? They were called clones for a reason. I'm not saying Oni Link would be a clone but he still shouldn't be in this.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Chidosengan said:
But they had Link and Y.Link in SSBM! Whats wrong with substituting Y. Link with Oni Link? What's wrong with having characters with the same name and different attacks?
Gotta go with this guy, everyone would prefer Oni Link instead of Y. Link, and he has one hell of a chance in brawl.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Since when did Oni Link have a good chance of being in Brawl? He wasn't on Sakurai's list I don't think so that automatically lowers his chances a lot.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Like mr game and watch had fans when melee was being made, that doesnt matter, there are only 2 characters that i can actually see in brawl from MM, thats Skull Kid and Oni link, if he IS gonna put any MM characters, who ever they are sooner or later hes gonna remember oni link, and thus having a chance, also he said he didnt want just popular characters, and Oni Link being mentioned just a few times in the list, he may considered him, besides he has a ton of fans over here in america and japan alike.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
You just said that Oni Link isn't that popular because he was only mentioned a few times but then you said he has a ton of fans here and in Japan alike.

We need more original characters(Mr. GAW was original) and Oni Link being included would be a dissapointment especially when they have plenty of good ORIGINAL candidates for Brawl from the LoZ series.

Like I said, it'd be like adding Sonic AND Super Sonic as different characters in Brawl. I still haven't even seen a reason why he should be in this other than that he's cool.

This is the only time I've seen Oni Link being suggested for Brawl so I don't see exactly how he has many fans, but I won't get into that because I didn't beat Majora's Mask.

Stryks

Smash Hero
True there are more guys out there that deserve a shot at brawl, some more than oni link, like Vaati, Skull Kid and others, just saying he kicks @$$, it was so cool beatin the **** out of MM with Oni Link, besides there not many characters from MM that can be in brawl, so Oni Link has a chance, its all Im sayin

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Ok, I guess that's fair to say he does have a chance...I just don't think he'll be in there in the end though.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Marshigio said:
You just said that Oni Link isn't that popular because he was only mentioned a few times but then you said he has a ton of fans here and in Japan alike.

We need more original characters(Mr. GAW was original) and Oni Link being included would be a dissapointment especially when they have plenty of good ORIGINAL candidates for Brawl from the LoZ series.

Like I said, it'd be like adding Sonic AND Super Sonic as different characters in Brawl. I still haven't even seen a reason why he should be in this other than that he's cool.

This is the only time I've seen Oni Link being suggested for Brawl so I don't see exactly how he has many fans, but I won't get into that because I didn't beat Majora's Mask.
Actually, I agree with you, Marshigio. I don't want to see any double characters when Nintendo is having enough trouble getting individual characters in the game.

Link is Link, and to ask for another version of him would be stupid. After all, if Oni-Link were put in the game as his own character, who would play as normal Link?

We need to focus on returning the Melee characters to the game, then individual newcomers. Clones and duplicates should only be seen as afterthoughts, especially after the dismal performances (IMO) of Y. Link and Dr. Mario in SSBM.

That being said however, I'm still for the Fierce Deity's mask being an item.

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
Destruction_King said:
Actually, I agree with you, Marshigio. I don't want to see any double characters when Nintendo is having enough trouble getting individual characters in the game.

Link is Link, and to ask for another version of him would be stupid. After all, if Oni-Link were put in the game as his own character, who would play as normal Link?

We need to focus on returning the Melee characters to the game, then individual newcomers. Clones and duplicates should only be seen as afterthoughts, especially after the dismal performances (IMO) of Y. Link and Dr. Mario in SSBM.

That being said however, I'm still for the Fierce Deity's mask being an item.
I notice that you complain about this, but do you complain about Zero Suit Samus?

Of course not. Because Zamus has a laser whip, making her different from Samus despite the fact that they are the same person. Oni Link is even farther off, being transformed into a godly Link, as opposed to a costume change. Above that, he would play completely differently, with a two-handed large sword and no items other than that.

Continue this debate, please.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
We don't complain about Zamus because she's already in(and I don't because I have her in my sig)

I'm saying I don't want Oni Link in because 1 Link is enough. I didn't expect Zamus at all to be included in Brawl so I didn't oppose it, and now that she's in, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun in camera mode.

Also, it would be lame to add a character who kills everything and then have him suck compared to the game that he was in. If you made him the way he was in MM, then he'd obviously be overpowered. It would be like adding Sephiroth and making him a short range fighter.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Master Puppet said:
I notice that you complain about this, but do you complain about Zero Suit Samus?

Of course not. Because Zamus has a laser whip, making her different from Samus despite the fact that they are the same person. Oni Link is even farther off, being transformed into a godly Link, as opposed to a costume change. Above that, he would play completely differently, with a two-handed large sword and no items other than that.

Continue this debate, please.
Dont forget the magical discs he throws

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Like him or not, you can't say he's the same character as Link. He would have a completely different moveset because he has completely different weapons. You don't wield a zweihänder the same way you wield a one handed sword and shield. His moveset would be slower, more powerful, with slightly longer reach. His B moves would include several specialized sword attacks (such as a Shield Breaker esque charge-up attack), and the ability to fire off magical projectiles while swinging (which would be a B move, not inherent). People would still use normal Link for his speed and wider range of projectiles to control space.

Of course, you could just as easily make Ganondorf use his big sword and leave Link out, but you can't deny Fierce Diety Link's badass-ness. I'd think Ganon using an appropriate moveset would be similar to Fierce Diety.

...Maybe an alternate costume for a redone Ganon?!

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
Stryks said:
Dont forget the magical discs he throws
Those aren't items, they are an extension of his magic.

But anyway, Marshigio brings up a few good points. The first and most notable involves Oni Link being the same person as Link. This is a tricky situation. Many people believe that the Fierce Deity Mask just gives godly power to its user, making Link the same person. I, on the other hand, look very deeply into this game, and believe through text that the Fierce Deity was an ancient god who was sealed in the mask. When Link wears it, he becomes the god.

Next, clearly you speak from experience with the great tragedy of Mewtwo. Well, rest assured, people who look very deeply into a character's gameplay, a professional, will probably be too caught up with statistics to worry about comparing him to his game. For a casual player (I hate the term n00b), adding a lot of flash and hype to his moves could easily solve this dilemma.

It looks like Paranoid Android has the rest covered.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Just because Fierce Diety Link has the power of badass-ness doesn't mean he deserves a spot in Brawl. He isn't exactly the most unique Nintendo character and those are what we should get in Brawl.

I wasn't talking about Mewtwo in general but I guess that fits. I don't care if a character sucks or not, I play as who I like because of what game they're from or if I like them as a character and try to be the best I can with them.

Basically the god you were referring too possesses Link and gives him his powers? It's still Link's body nonetheless, that'd be like adding Raccoon Mario since he has different powers than regular Mario.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Okay, I'm going to go and argue a few points that have been commonly brought up.

Fierce Deity Link is not original? True, but then think of how many doubles showed up in SSBM. We had two Links, two Marios, and two Pikachus. Now we have two Samuses. [Sami?]

'Being Super Cool alone doesn't merit a spot in brawl? Well, then on what premise was Sheik put into SSBM? It definitely wasn't because of her long legacy of recurrence as a Zelda character. It was because all the Zelda fans [and probably the SSBM developers] loved Sheik.

Fierce Deity Link would be imbalanced? Not necessarily. Oni-Link had one gigantic flaw in his play. He had no shield. So say they give Oni-Link a powerful offense but take away his ability to shield. Instead he would sidestep [with lag] at a touch of R, and roll with R+DI. Not only could this be balanced. It would make for a very unique style of play. And perhaps revive the M.C. Hammer hit "Can't touch this" on the video scene.

I still think he'd be best implemented as a transformation of Y.Link, though. just maybe not so ephemeral as I thought before.

And anyone who says "nerfing Oni-Link would be a disapointment" is wrong. The only disappointment would be to never play as Oni-Link again.
[here's praying for a return in TP]

Oni Andrew

Smash Apprentice
Follow the steps.
1: Delete Young Link.
2: Give Link the speed of Young Link.
3: Include Fierce Deity Link.
4: Give Fierce Deity Link slower speed than Link, but huge range and damage.
5: Publish the game.
6: Watch the looks on everyone's faces when they realise Fierce Deity Link is in the game.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
First of all, Zamus and Samus are the same character in the game. The official site specifically states that under certain conditions Samus will shed her space suit. Go ahead and go look at it if you think I'm making it up. If you're a member of this site, you should know how to get to the official smash brothers web site by now so I won't even include a link. Secondly, FD Link, if the world was fair would overpower the other characters. But then it's not fair for Smash Brothers because he would destroy everyone else in the game. I still think that the mask should be a rare item that pops up that any character could use and turn into a Fierce Diety version of themselves if it's put in at all. If Nintendo made the game so that the characters had a completely different moveset when they had the mask then it would add a lot more to the game (Fierce Diety mode, everyone fights as their FD self?). I don't wanna see another toned down character like Mewtwo either, personally. But, yes, I suppose he technically has a CHANCE of getting into the game. He WAS a Nintendo character in a popular game. But I don't think he'll make it, too many other original characters to be put in with no more than 50 characters, but probably more like 35 or 40

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Which is exactly why this rationale is sound.

Samus:Zamus :: Young Link:Oni-Link.

Under certain conditions, Young Link Becomes Oni-Link who has no shield, but strong offense.

The idea of a Fierce Deity Mask item, though is jsut absurd. Why would the developers program in a whole new moveset for each individual character? If they did that they wouldn't have time to design Pit, Metaknight and the others. Now Maybe if the mask turned all characters into Oni-Link temporarily, it could work [read Master Puppet's logic]. Though, Then it'd just be another super hammer.

[But I do approve of Oni-Andrew's ideas as well]

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Resting_Fox said:
Okay, I'm going to go and argue a few points that have been commonly brought up.

Fierce Deity Link is not original? True, but then think of how many doubles showed up in SSBM. We had two Links, two Marios, and two Pikachus. Now we have two Samuses. [Sami?]

'Being Super Cool alone doesn't merit a spot in brawl? Well, then on what premise was Sheik put into SSBM? It definitely wasn't because of her long legacy of recurrence as a Zelda character. It was because all the Zelda fans [and probably the SSBM developers] loved Sheik.

I still think he'd be best implemented as a transformation of Y.Link, though. just maybe not so ephemeral as I thought before.

And anyone who says "nerfing Oni-Link would be a disapointment" is wrong. The only disappointment would be to never play as Oni-Link again.
[here's praying for a return in TP]
Ok, well just because they added in characters who aren't original, means we should add unoriginal characters now that they have time? Clones were put in at the last minute to have more characters, so now they can replace some and give some their own movesets.

Super Cool doesn't merit a spot in Brawl? Sheik was also an original character. Fierce Diety Link is just a beefed up Link with dark eyes. Sheik also played an important role in Zelda's survival.

I agree with you that he would be Young Link's special, but not his own character.

Maybe you would be happy if he got in when he was nerfed, but if I had an awesome character I wanted in Brawl, I'd be upset if he wasn't as good as he was in the game he appeared.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it would take extra effort, but it would make it more interesting and open up more gameplay if they each had a fierce diety mode. It isn't likely, but I'd rather have that than have FD Link as a playable character separate from Link. I wouldn't mind if Y. Link could transform into him, either, even though he'd still be toned down to an embarressing point for him. But having all the characters turn to FD Link is stupid, why would they pick up the mask and then turn to FD Link? That's just stupid, definitely not as good as my idea.

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
Please read slowly, so as not to injure your brain.

The first and most notable involves Oni Link being the same person as Link. This is a tricky situation. Many people believe that the Fierce Deity Mask just gives godly power to its user, making Link the same person. I, on the other hand, look very deeply into this game, and believe through text that the Fierce Deity was an ancient god who was sealed in the mask. When Link wears it, he becomes the god.

Just like the Goron, Zora and Deku Masks, when Link wears one, he turns into whatever species it is, but with a hat on. Therefore, your idea involves all the Fierce Deities with different hats or hairstyles. Completely ridiculous.

There is no Fierce Deity Link. It's just the Fierce Deity that Link transforms into. The real one existed long ago. He's a separate character; that bit of logic is null and void.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
So what? We'll just use Resting Fox's idea on Young Link transforming into Fierce Diety Link for his special.

This seems like a good solution, but I know this is a debate, so continue with it if you still feel that he deserves to be his own character.

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
So what? The biggest argument against Oni Link in this thread stated "He's just another Link." No, he is a god whom Link transformed into to defeat the ultimate evil. With this solved, I have successfully countered at least 50% of the arguments in this thread.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yes but you haven't countered the other 50%.

Adding Fierce Diety Link and Link would be like adding Geno and his true form which is a tiny star. Either one is basically adding a character that shouldn't be in there, they should be replaced by characters who are unique.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fiercy Diety Link is a very nice and unique character yeah. But the problem is... Altough he isn't a clone of Link he is just still Link with a mask on. Same with Dr.Mario, hes just Mario with pills and a doctors outfit.

And I said it in another thread already but, people face it. Majora's Mask is an old game. If they really HAD to put cahracters from that game in Smash, they'd already add him in Melee.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Master Puppet said:
Please read slowly, so as not to injure your brain.

The first and most notable involves Oni Link being the same person as Link. This is a tricky situation. Many people believe that the Fierce Deity Mask just gives godly power to its user, making Link the same person. I, on the other hand, look very deeply into this game, and believe through text that the Fierce Deity was an ancient god who was sealed in the mask. When Link wears it, he becomes the god.

Just like the Goron, Zora and Deku Masks, when Link wears one, he turns into whatever species it is, but with a hat on. Therefore, your idea involves all the Fierce Deities with different hats or hairstyles. Completely ridiculous.

There is no Fierce Deity Link. It's just the Fierce Deity that Link transforms into. The real one existed long ago. He's a separate character; that bit of logic is null and void.
So you beleive like the Fierce Diety is an ancient god... Anyways, I think it should be an item. FD is going to be overpowered and HELLA people are going to as play him...

NukeA6

Smash Master
Diddy Kong said:
And I said it in another thread already but, people face it. Majora's Mask is an old game.
So is Kid Icarus and Ice Climber. Just because a game is old doesn't mean anything.

Top Bottom