• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

feinting with fair?

the red ranger

Smash Rookie
Hey all. Been lurking here a while and finally decided to join in. I'm an aspiring doc player from NJ and entered my first tournament a week ago and despite getting wrecked I'm only more driven to get better at the game.

So to the topic. Has anyone seen or tried to do a fake fair? As in, short hop to a fair but time it so when you land the punch doesn't go through because you landed too fast. If L-cancelled, I was wondering if it's plausible at all to follow this into a grab because most likely the opponent will try to shield.

Or is it too slow and still allows your opponent to grab/jab/whatever to you?

Gea

Smash Master
It could work on some off chance that they really thought it was going to hit their shield... but they can just kinda shield-grab you out of it I'm almost sure.

Dr. Science

Smash Apprentice
Gea, I think he means completely whiffing the move when you l cancel, making it so that the actual attack frames never come out.

Honestly instead of a Throw attempt following, I'd use two jabs followed by a downsmash, because a good player would try and sheild grab, you can try and poke them out and d smash.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah... but they can still just shieldgrab you I'm almost sure. You still have landing animation. Like I said, if they are waiting for the impact to their shield you might get it... but otherwise its pretty obvious to see you've hit the ground.

Basically what you're doing is just an empty SHFFL.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Seeing as how you'll have the same amount of landing lag frames if the attack actually comes out or not, I don't see why you wouldn't always have the fair finish.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
not a good feint methinks cos as ronin has said, you've still got the landing lag. Besides, well shffled fairs are just as off putting

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i find empty shuffles to grabs occasionally useful.

but the addition to a f.air is pretty pointless, people shield in response to the jump, not the attack. This game is too fast to rely on someone noticing a small animation within a chaos of attacks.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to agree with Cyphus. Also, in my experience (mostly accidental) with cancelling the Fair in a "feint" style movement, it has more of a downward, short-range sort of movement to it, so it looks more like a thrust straight into the ground. I cant see people responding to it in the way that you'd want them to for a faint. If you're still looking to fake something to get someone to shieldgrab, i'd try faking a running attack.. by that i mean charging straight in as if you were going to running attack, and either wavedashing slightly back or just straight into the ground to change your timing, then continue your charge after they've responded with the appropriate counter.

the red ranger

Smash Rookie
thanks for the replies guys. I tried it on my friend today instead of just computers are it's real easy to just shield grab even if the l-cancel is successful. I guess feint to grab mind games are stlill done best with wave dashing / dash dancing.

Gea

Smash Master
Ding ding ding. I was correct.

Also its pretty much only used (empty shffls) when you actually land in a waveland backwards. So they try to shieldgrab (or just let their shield down) and you abuse that.

Old trick PC made famous.

Top Bottom