• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feb 16th-Grandpa Games Melee Biweeklies! Irving, TX

Oracle

Smash Master
Facebook Event

Announcing the new Bi Weekly melee only series at EPIK, the same venue as the Play a real game series! With only one game to manage, this tournament should be a bit more laid back than PaRG, so more room for friendlies and whatnot. This doesn't mean yall can mess around, we've still got a tournament to run!!!

Location: EPIK CARDS & GAMES 1735 N. Story Road Suite#116, Irving, TX 75061.

Entry Fees

Venue: $5

Melee Singles: $5

Melee Doubles: $10 per team

Schedule

10:30- Store Opens
11:30- Sign ups Start
12:00- Signups End, Melee Doubles bracket begins
1:30- Melee Swiss Rounds/Pools Begin
6:00- Swiss/Pools ends, Top Cut begins
12:00/Whenever- Leave

We can stay as long as we need to, but I want to get out by midnight, and will do everything I can to make the tournament run quickly and smoothly.

Note: There is no lunch break because you can find your own time to eat with the sign out sheet. There are a handful of restaurants very close to the venue, including a KFC within walking distance.

Explanation of Swiss system:
Instead of a traditional pools into bracket, I will be running rounds of swiss into a top 16 cut. What this means is that in each round, every player will be paired with a player that has the same record as them. IE if you lose your first round, your round 2 opponent will also have a 0-1 record. This continues until there is a clear cut top 16, which will be seeded into a bracket based on their records. My goal is to fit in six rounds for each game

This system is advantageous over pools/bracket because everyone gets to play more matches and its generally faster. No matter what your record is, you get to play a match every round in swiss, whereas in a bracket you're out after two losses.

Swiss will only be run if we have enough setups. We need the number of setups to be at least one quarter of the number of entrants. Since there is only one game, this shouldn't be a problem, but if there aren't enough setups we will simply do pools. If we have 32 or fewer entrants we will just go straight to bracket in either case.

Rules:
All matches will be played 2/3, except for top 3 (Losers/Winners/Grand Finals)
8 Minute Timer, 4 Stock games
1. First round will be played on a neutral stage, struck in an alternating fashion (1-1-1-1)
Neutral Stages- Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only), Yoshi's Story, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)
2. After the first match, winning player/team select stages to ban from all legal stages. One ban, zero bans in 3/5 sets
3. Losing team/player then picks stage
4. Winner picks character
5. Loser picks character.
Counterpicks- Pokemon Stadium (Singles), KJ64 (Doubles)
Mr. Wizard's Stupid Rule- no stage may be played on more than once per set, unless agreed upon by both players

Payout:

Melee Singles :
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Melee Doubles:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Other Rules- applies to all attendees
- don't trash the venue. The owner is a friend of mine and he was nice enough to lend us his store, so don't be a jerk.
- you can be loud and whatnot, hype is always appreciated
- food and drink is fine as long as you don't spill. venue has snacks and sodas as well, so buy some there to show your support!

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Won't be in attendance for this one, but I hope to make plenty of future to the follow ups in this new series. New Melee Biweekly in Irving = doule-timing the hype train!

D

Deleted member

This is super short notice, I dunno if I can make it to this. I'll do everything I can and try to make this.

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
I'll be doing whatever i can to come to most of these tourneys, though i've never been to/beenpartof an actual one. Looking forward to it!

seeedy

Smash Rookie
I will hopefully be getting some good experience goin to this before DIME, so I'm lookin to play the tourney + hella friendlies.

Quiteballin

Smash Rookie
What do you think the latest I can get there will be if I want to get there just for singles?

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel obligated to go to this and rep all the grandpas out there but I need a teammate and a ride from Plano.

Maybe they could even be the same person!

qqwwrrmm

Smash Cadet
I feel obligated to go to this and rep all the grandpas out there but I need a teammate and a ride from Plano.

Maybe they could even be the same person!

Hey drew- this is tadeo I am thinking about going as well I could probably give you a ride.

Dunno if you'd be interested in teaming- lemme know either way

210stuna

Smash Lord
So if we want to do singles we have to sign up before 1? When it starts up after doubles?

I'll try to go to this as it's only 10 minutes away from a friend's house that I'm going to tomorrow, but I already told her I would help her with something and I am unsure how long that is going to take.

D

Deleted member

I'm not gonna be able to make it out to this, sorry guys.

NoxD

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2891-1990
I have a ride planned to the tournament. I just need one back.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Just a reminder, store opens at noon so show up then! Well start dubs around 1 and singles at 2, so keep that in mind. Let me know if youll be late!

Last edited:
Top Bottom