• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feature Idea : Replays

alphameric

Smash Ace
Replays

I don't know if this has already been suggested (couldn't find it), but I hugely suggest instant replays as well as replay saving.

Think about it.
You just had a kick *** match with a buddy but no capture equipment, so you save the replay so you can capture it later, or send it to someone with capture equipment.

Top replays could be dispersed online for others to download to their Wii, so they could watch them.

This feature would take very little space because it Wouldn't actually capture the footage, just the actions that were performed.

edit: to clarify, i don't mean saving replays in wmv/avi/whatever format.
i mean recording actions, similar to how starcraft, war3, cstrike handle them.

Anyways, thats just my idea. I thought SSBM was missing this feature, so I hope brawl gets it.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
thats a great idea for when you want to make a combo video and you should be able to send the replays to the internet via OPERA

good idea man

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I think this idea was suggested a while ago, but it never really go discussed. I love this idea, and really want to see it in brawl. The unpredictability of the game has produced a great many moments over the years that I would love to watch again. This is a feature in Halo 3, which brings up the question of file size. I don't know that this is possible without just recording video. While a list of button presses and control movement may cut file size, I don't know that it's possible to replay a game with that information.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Sounds awesome. Heh, there might even be a function that allows you to instantly replay a certain KO or combo or so, like in some Worms games.. but that would be a tiny bit exaggerated.

Banks

Smash Hero
wow speaking of that, what if they did it like other fighting games, the final k.o. of every game they play a replay of in slowmo, just like tekken etc.

that would mad awesomish

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
I had really wished this was in Melee, but it wasn't. But it seems like one of the best ideas out there and I doubt Nintendo would ignore the feature.

Banks

Smash Hero
if u could save replays onto the memory cards, it would be easy as hell to put them on your computer. too good

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
I think this idea was suggested a while ago, but it never really go discussed. I love this idea, and really want to see it in brawl. The unpredictability of the game has produced a great many moments over the years that I would love to watch again. This is a feature in Halo 3, which brings up the question of file size. I don't know that this is possible without just recording video. While a list of button presses and control movement may cut file size, I don't know that it's possible to replay a game with that information.
For watching the replays with a file that just records the actions, you could simply run it in the SSBB game (Kinda like they had in warcraft 3) because all the graphics and physics are already programmed in it. The beauty of this is you'll be able to watch the matches without sacrificing any quality. And i guess if you really want to put it on youtube or something, just get out the digicam while the replay is running.

Banks

Smash Hero
but even if they did take up space, you could just transfer it to your pc via an sd memory card

alphameric

Smash Ace
to clarify, i don't mean saving replays in wmv/avi/whatever format.
i mean recording actions, similar to how starcraft, war3, cstrike handle them.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Sounds amazing, email them let them to know to do this, even though its PROBABLY been discussed one would hope.

Banks

Smash Hero
is nintendo allowed to use ideas they get in the email. i would think they wouldnt so they wouldnt get sued.

alphameric

Smash Ace
if someone sends an idea regarding one of their upcoming products, it becomes their intellectual property should they decide to use it.
why, you ask? because the person sending the email isn't under any obligation or contract.

but if someone wants to post their email, i'll gladly email my suggestion in utmost detail

Andromeda

Smash Lord
It's a very good idea, but I'm not sure about recording the actions. If it's in-game (as I suggest it is) then maybe only the actions of the characters are recorded. Then they can still be affected by random things like enviromental changes in the level, or maybe hostile objects that appear at random like the carts on the Mario Kart-level. The very same happened to me when I recorded a video from my SNES emulator. Only the actions of the player were recorded but everything else was random, so the character just jumped around like mad and couldn't do anything as I had told it to do. So maybe this feature has to be recording the whole thing and not just the actions.

Banks

Smash Hero
well i think he just means all the raw data of the match, which could be converted into video.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Totally practical idea. I've had lots of moments where I would experience something incredible in a match that I regret not being able to watch again. This way, you would just know, "Whoa, I'm totally saving this replay- that combo was awesome." The problem here is this might result in overproduction of videos. You know, they might become too popular and frequently posted. I imagine that a video would take a huge amount of blocks. Pictures themselves on Melee are quite data consuming and I recall that if you saved the replay of one play on Madden 04, it would take up more than half of the memory card's blocks. Data storage might be a problem with this idea.

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
That is actually a really good idea. Although SSBB might be too frantic for the recording of actions (unless they remove all unused items, and whatnot). But, I can see there being a save replay feature where it actually does save them as video files which can be shared in the online component. Then, they could incorporate an "Everybody Votes" type feature, and you can have top rated videos.

They had snapshots available for Super Smash Bros. Melee. Having video does not seem to be too much of a stretch, provided you have the space. The only problem is that they would probably have to cut you off occasionally mid match. And then what do you do?

Top Bottom