• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Nintendo controller

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Pictures will be added when I get on my Wii U, as my iPad often refreshes whenever I switch tabs (moreso now that I am on iOS 8). Please note that I am not including the "special controllers", such as the DDR pad or the DK Bongos. I am not including the Color TV-Game or Game & Watch (the former due to the fact that it is only for Pong, and the latter due to the fact that it varies depending on the game). I am not listing any third party controllers, either. I am including variations that change shape, size, or button layout. If I am missing any, please tell me.
*NES controller
*Super NES controller
*Nintendo 64 controller
*Nintendo GameCube controller
*Wii Remote
*Classic Controller
*Wii Remote + Nunchuk
*Wii U GamePad
*Wii U Pro Controller
*Game Boy (Light/Color)
*Game Boy Pocket
*Virtual Boy
*Game Boy Advance
*Game Boy Advance SP
*Game Boy Micro
*Nintendo DS
*Nintendo DS Lite
*Nintendo DSi
*Nintendo DSi XL
*Nintendo 3DS
*Nintendo 3DS XL
The following are currently not released.
*New Nintendo 3DS
*New Nintendo 3DS XL

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Gamecube controller ftw!

:GCA::GCB::GCX::GCY::GCLT::GCRT::GCZ::GCDpad::GCStart::GCN::GCCN:

D

Deleted member

The GameCube controller hands down.
The buttons are conveniently close to each other and it feels comfortable to hold. It's just about perfect for almost every game it can be used with.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Gamecube controller is easily one of the best ever made, let alone that it is perfect for smash bros.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'll agree with the majority. Gamecube controllers are great.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
My most hated controller of all time is the N64 controller... My favorite controller is the gamecube... It was so good it inspired microsoft to make it even better.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Gotta go with the majority on this one and say the Gamecube controller. It was just way too comfortably not to be happy with it. Everything was so conveniently placed and it could fit into pretty much everyone's hands with no complaints!

Though, I will say that the N64 controller seems to get more slack than it deserves from the general public. So many see the three grip design as odd and, admittedly, it is, but the good games on the console knew how to make it so the controls felt right and you didn't have to constantly switch back and forth, it usually consisted of you holding the middle grip for the analog stick, and either the left or right one, but never both. Just an additional comment I wanted to throw in.

Da_Silver98

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafsfan98
3DS FC
3437-3194-6404
Definitely the game cube controller, the button layout is odd but it works and its very comfortable, but the 3ds xl is most comfortable handheld by far.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
If I'm playing a tile-based RPG, the GBA or NES will always be best for me. If it is any other type of game, GameCube controller wins hands down. The only exception is if I was playing with someone who had never laid eyes on a N64, the shock on the person's face is absolutely priceless while they try to figure out how to hold their three-pronged controller.

the8thark

Smash Lord
If I am missing any, please tell me.
You are missing some. The NES dogbone controller. I used to own it back in the day. And it was so much better than the old square controller.

Also you only say "classic controller" but for the Wii there were a few you need to mention them I think.

Wii Classic Controller

Wii Classic Controller Pro

If you are talking portable systems you need to add in the game and watch consoles as well like these.

Mario Paint SNES mouse

And lastly the Nintendo Power glove technically counts as it is a control method even if it was a failure.

Also you need to separate the Wiimote + motion add on as it feels very different to the Wiimote standard/motion plus inside model. Using the add on for the old Wiimote model gives the Wiimote a lot more weight. Some people like this, others do not.

If I can think of any more you've missed I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, would the Jungle Beat drums technically count?

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
@ the8thark the8thark
Please note that I am not including the "special controllers", such as the DDR pad or the DK Bongos. I am not including the Color TV-Game or Game & Watch (the former due to the fact that it is only for Pong, and the latter due to the fact that it varies depending on the game). I am not listing any third party controllers, either.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Sorry, I didn't read the whole comment... Anyways, the you forgot the Wavebird.

kyokencl

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyokencl
3DS FC
3969-3699-8305
because i almost never i used to get a gamecube before i technically never play melee before and when i got my Wii i played Brawl with a Classic Controller Pro

but for me

my favorite controller is the N64 one

thats all

cptnOlimar

Smash Rookie
The Gamecube controller, no doubt about that. Just the most perfect controller I ever held in my hands.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I listed all the ones I saw he missed. They count as some people do like those controllers. If the original poster wants to (on purpose) miss out some Nintendo controllers, when he's just killing and point he is trying to make.List all the official Nintendo controllers and let us choose. That simple.Also he forgot the NES Zapper gun and SNES Super Scope controllers.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Classic Controller for days!! Love that thing. GameCube and SNES controllers also get shoutouts.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
The GameCube controller will forever be the best in my book. Nothing Nintendo has come up with since then has been able to even match it, especially the Wii U Pro controllers.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
I've been using the Gamecube controller for so long that I almost can't help but say it's my favorite, and I really love it's appearance with the variety of colors on the buttons.

Though, I actually really like the Wii U gamepad? It's far more comfortable than I ever expected and the buttons are all in pretty intuitive locations, so by the end of this generation of consoles the gamepad might actually dethrone the Gamecube controller for me.

Top Bottom