• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

favorite kill strategies?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Ok so I'm getting really good at racking up damage with aerials and lyoids and stuff, but I'm having trouble committing to a kill. What do you guys do for setup and things? I usually just pester my opponent much longer than I should until they mess up and get it by something lethal. Like a tree or smash attack.

My focus on getting better in general is actually going for kills now; it seems like damage is the easy part.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Kill moves:
3 turnips
Timber
F-smash
Upsmash
d-smash into upsmash/f-smash
Ridden Lloyd
d-tilt

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I have problems hitting with dsmash because of the way it comes out. I usually don't try it unless my opponent keeps running around near me. I also never charge it, I don't think there's a reason to?

I feel like riding lyoid is safer than it looks. Playing with the trajectory really catches prone off-guard. So many times people roll or side-step and I just sit on top of them. I rarely get kills with it though. Usually launches them far enough to let me set up, though.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Down Smash is great as a punish especially to roll spammers as it comes out fast and hits both sides.
I remember Zee saying that you could empty fastfall D-smash to bait shield grabs

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Dsmash gets around shield? I'm not sure if I realized that.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Dsmash gets around shield? I'm not sure if I realized that.
Well its more that you are falling down and the opponent grabs you thinking you aerialed only for you to down smash

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
The axe is also a great killmove.
Don't forget that a missile getting hit by a strong attack will explode and do a very violent explosion (like if Mario do a fsmash on a missile you just spawned), that kills too.

Btw DON'T fmash after a dsmash : the knockback will be a LOT reduced. Do a Upsmash instead, so the opponent will be first get moved out and then the firework will do.... the work. :colorful:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
good tip. i found out that it's really easy to drop a bowling ball off the edge if you run to it, and after letting go of the control stick, you just tap to the side with the c-stick. much easier than trying to stop at the edge and re-tap the control stick in the same direction for your smash.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
I mainly kill with backthrow near the edge of the stage, axe, bowling ball off ledge, and b/fair. I've recently been using uptilt too, it's pretty good but the second hit will occasionally miss.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I feel this thread is severely lacking the mention of fair or bair.

Both of those, if hit close to the slingshot, can be deadly at 100%

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Mine are always severely stale though. They play a big part in my spacing and chipping game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Shield breaks with Villager are super satisfying. The tree and a ridden Lloid rocket do a good chunk while a good number of pocketed projectiles can practically destroy them in one go. I can't begin to tell you the number of matches I've won against Samuses and Megamans because of this.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Especially Samus, since they often start charging up right after, and most go into shield from charging up if you launch their blast back at them.

SerbianVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
StevoNaLevo
I haven't tried since im on vacation, but can you down throw to uptilt/upsmash with villager?

Last edited:

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Bowling ball off of a platform, platforms really aid villager eithe get them offstage and use lloid and grow a tree,chop it once and make them scarred to do anything other than roll back on stage when they get to the ledge, read the ledge roll and fsmash.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Bowling ball off of a platform, platforms really aid villager eithe get them offstage and use lloid and grow a tree,chop it once and make them scarred to do anything other than roll back on stage when they get to the ledge, read the ledge roll and fsmash.
And its now even easier, with the popularization of Perfect Pivoting, to position yourself well to drop it off the edge.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Also sometimes you can read your opponent and get a dsash to usmash, I usually kill opponents that way. Either the infamous dair offstage gimp, keep dair'ing they'll tack on a lot of damage and sometimes you can just outright kill them. Also just thought of it what if you could dsmash on a stage like delfino and the stage is rising and they got caught in the rising blast zones because they were still in the villagers dsmash? Might not work, but it doesn't hurt to mention it. Characters like jiggs and kirby who like to hover above characters especially DDD ae suspectible for an easy usmash by villager. Usmash also sharks platforms.

Nova The Silly One

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GamerNova
Ridden Lloid is phenomenal at high percents, just don't use it more than once or twice while facing the same player in multiple matches

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Anyone else do the offstage NAir gimp as well? It IS a kill move btw. I learned it from Zee and is one of VIllager's best tools. His NAir overall is phenomenal if you asked me.

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
This was formerly in the wrong thread, my apologies. But anyway.
For me, my favorite kills are launching them up and watering a tree. Let them fall and plant what might as well be a remote landmine.

Last edited:
Shield breaks with Villager are super satisfying. The tree and a ridden Lloid rocket do a good chunk while a good number of pocketed projectiles can practically destroy them in one go. I can't begin to tell you the number of matches I've won against Samuses and Megamans because of this.
Pocketed fully charged Charge Shot is a guaranteed shield break

It is indeed very satisfying

I usually KO with fair, uair, axe, dtilt, and utilt. USmash is also really good OoS and BThrow is excellent when you land the grab.

Lloid rocket fakeouts are always nice too

Last edited:

StayPuft

Smash Rookie
NNID
cellularsp
My favorite way to KO will always be a bowling ball off the stage ledge

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It varies big time. I mostly use what I can find my hands on to ensure kill. Pocket potent projectiles, Gimp hard with repeated F-Airs or N-Airs, Spam Turnips after Lloids, etc.

I could though say that Riding Lloid while messing around with speed (hold the Control Stick back to slow or press forward 2 go fast). Always messed around with foes and can time just right when they'd drop their shield for a kill. D-Smash to Up-Smash is very reliable too.

Axe has become unreliable after the "cue" goes off with me going out of the tree and trying to approach my foe instead of staying behind. Also the move lags hard.

I feel this thread is severely lacking the mention of fair or bair.

Both of those, if hit close to the slingshot, can be deadly at 100%
I once rode a Fox right off-Screen with constant F-Airs. Felt so satisfying.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It varies big time. I mostly use what I can find my hands on to ensure kill. Pocket potent projectiles, Gimp hard with repeated F-Airs or N-Airs, Spam Turnips after Lloids, etc.

I could though say that Riding Lloid while messing around with speed (hold the Control Stick back to slow or press forward 2 go fast). Always messed around with foes and can time just right when they'd drop their shield for a kill. D-Smash to Up-Smash is very reliable too.

Axe has become unreliable after the "cue" goes off with me going out of the tree and trying to approach my foe instead of staying behind. Also the move lags hard.

I once rode a Fox right off-Screen with constant F-Airs. Felt so satisfying.
You can do that, dude.

Fairs can just destroy.

I once was playing FFA against my friends, in a Villager 4-way mirror.

As soon as the game started, I started attacking my friend. In a single combo of lloid, dash attack, and fairs, I had gotten him from 0% to 34%.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As soon as the game started, I started attacking my friend. In a single combo of lloid, dash attack, and fairs, I had gotten him from 0% to 34%.
Yeah, I know that drill. Easier on big foes tho (Bowsers, DKs, etc), so I don't really try to commit to it unless the I find a good opportunity.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah, I know that drill. Easier on big foes tho (Bowsers, DKs, etc), so I don't really try to commit to it unless the I find a good opportunity.
I also 0-deathed my friend's Ike in the actual FIRST match we ever played.

Took him for a spin there.

If I could recreate those kind of things frequently I could die happy.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Villager has no problem killing.

1. Dsmash -> Usmash
Comes out quick. Punishing rolls will be it's best usage, but you can still try to catch people with it. Similar to ZSS' Dsmash, but better, since it hits both sides, and you don't have to charge it to be efficient. The higher the percent of the opponent, the longer he stays in the ground, so this becomes a true combo at mid percents. The reason Usmash is chosen to follow is because moves that put you in the ground reduce the knowckback and damage done on those in the ground. Usmash being a multi hit move, the hit that kills (the last) is not affected. You get better chances of killing as opposed to doing, for example, a Fsmash.
Oh, and it's a really funny move, too, since Villager players are all psychopaths; when it hits, both you and the other player know they're dead, even if you only kill them several seconds later.

2. Usmash
Mainly coupled with Dsmash. You can also get people standing on platforms above you. There's an advanced technique that lets you dash a little while performing the samsh, too. So while it's not as versatile as Fox's, you can get nice things out of it. You can find an explanation on how to do it here.

3. Fsmash
If you can get a read, this kills super early. The range is bad, but it is incredibly powerful. It's also amazing to punish low recoveries, and there's usually no coming back from getting hit by it.

4. Dtilt
Has amazing range. It kills a little later than most of his other moves, but it's always an option to keep in mind.

5. Utilt
Tilts in general are just weaker smashes that you can't charge. This one is like the Usmash, but with less knockback/damage/range. It does come out faster, though, so it can kill at really high percent.

6. Uair
If you can land it, the opponent is high enough, and you get the triple turnip, it kills. It's situational but safe, so you don't lose anything by going for it.
NOTE: Just be wary of air dodges. You can bait the air dodge and Uair a little later, or hope they don't air dodge at all. The move lasts pretty long (as long as the turnips are out), so it's not as hard to hit with it as it it with other characters' Uairs.

7. Dair
Same as Uair. It spikes hard, but it's also somewhat of a gamble. If the opponent still has jumps, this is preferred over Nair as a gimping tool.

8. Nair
With practice, it's fearly easy to get a couple of Nairs on someone trying to recover. It's usually best to go for it when they have no jumps left, and you can kill surprisingly early with a Nair string.

9. Fair
If the opponent recovers high and is past the ledge, this can kill. It's generally stale because you should always abuse it, but it has great killing power. The closer to villager, the better.

10. Bair
Same as Fair, but more powerful, and usually less stale. This is the one you should try to go for instead of Fair if you have the possibility to. The range is also pretty good; it's just a great move in general.

11. Pocket
The pocket becomes a great kill move versus Lucario (Aura Sphere), Samus (Charge Shot), Robin (Thoron), Duck Hunt (Can), other Villagers (you can pocket their tree), Ness (just steal their PK Thunder as they recover), Wario (if you steal his Bike he won't be able to recover horizontaly), Pacman (Key and Hydrant mainly, but also Apple, Lemon or Orange. The Bell won't kill, but you can use it to stun and work up from there.), Pikachu (Thunder), and certain characters whose smash can be stolen, like Megaman. Also, since the pocketed projectiles deal more damage than the originals (1,5x), it's a very good kill move. There's trickier things you can do, like pocketing Zero Suit's fully charged Paralyzing Shot. While not a kill move itself, it can set-up nicely into one.

12. Lloid
If ridden, can kill at higher percents. It's generally not safe, but if you can surprise them by recovering that way, say once in a set, it can catch them off guard and kill.

13. Tree
Probably the move that kills the earliest. Both its growth and fall kill, and have huge hitboxes. The opponent will usually respect the tree and not go anywhere near it; or at least that's what they should do. But a well placed tree (quickly planting and cutting one near the ledge on a recovering opponent, for example) can be deadly. And as soon as they let their guard down and approach a tree that has been cut once, or a sapling, you have a chance to kill. It's great for mindgames anyway and basic stage control, so you should always have one planted somewhere.

14. Axe
If you have a tree up, the axe itself can kill. The knockback is nice, but the range is bad, so use it carefully.

15. Bthrow
While not as good as Ness', Villager's Bthrow can kill at mild/high percents if you can get one near the ledge. Its his only throw that kills though, and it has a huge ending lag if you miss it, but if you think you can get a clean one, it kills, so go for it.

That's about all I can think of. Almost anything can kill with Villager, really. And not at ridiculous percent, you can actually get pretty early kills with any of its moves. You simply have to use the right moves at the right moment, so defenitely knowing the character by heart is a must. And a lot of his moves have ending lag (not as bad as his Bthrow, but still), so you should not be throwing random kill moves everywhere. Simply zone out, and if you see an oppening go for the kill.

I know most of these have already been mentionned in the thread, but I wanted to compile them and give my personnal opinion on each of them.

But yeah, he's not called Killager for nothing.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd add a healthy use of the water storing AT we have too. The rising tree is just too stronk
It catches people off guard, definitely.

Tho somehow, people sometimes fall for even me just normally setting up and cutting the tree...

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I'd add a healthy use of the water storing AT we have too. The rising tree is just too stronk
You're right, that's definitely a staple of Villager play. I did not include it because I thought it was pretty common knowledge.

You indeed always want to water it without making it grow, because not only does it surprise people because of how fast it is, but it also basically extands the tree's hitbox to the lenght the water can travel. Similar to how you can slinghot the Counter Timber from far away to hit opponents standing anywhere near it.

Tho somehow, people sometimes fall for even me just normally setting up and cutting the tree...
That's always funny when it happens! Usually better players will respect the sapling too much for it to work, though :'(

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Tree at the edge,
Tree growth
Watercan gimp

Fair plane off the edge

Dair spike, stage bounce into upair

Bowling ball roll read

B reverse pocket unleash (if pocketed something powerful.)

Ridden gyrroid hard read.

Back throw

Dsmash into upsmash or upair

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Getting the kill is annoying.
Fair and Bair are best used as edge guards for KO, even then they have to be close to you.
Fsmash has little horizontal range, and even if you manage to land it, your opponent should be smart enough to not fall for it once more.
Usmash also has small horizontal range, but can combo from Damash, but the Dsmash also has small range, so yea........
Turnips knockback depends on luck for it to be able to truly KO, but it is one of the better options I guess.
Nair mostly KOs offstage, but it's safe because of his insane recovery :p.
Cutting the tree, not very reliable for how predictable it is, but it's possible for a mix-up I guess.
Growing the tree, this is situations because they have to be in its path for them to be hit, but it's actually more reliable then cutting it down for how it can completely catch people off guard.
Axe is ok, it's a little lackluster in range, and considering it's ending lag, is punishable but it's there.
Lloid KOs in some cases, it's hard to explain, but I think when you first pop it out and someone hits it, the explosion deals much more knockback.
Pocket, is cool for some characters like Ness(maybe a few others) it can seriously interrupt and screw up their recovery because you can pocket their moves.
Bthrow is decent, it KOs at like 130-ish but that grab is slow and......it's range isn't as great as it should be.

Overall he has ALOT of KO options and can mix them up very well. But they are mostly short ranged, linear, or predictable and sometimes I do have trouble getting these KOs, so I think it's best to constantly mix up your options for when to KO, that's the best way to confuse your opponent.

Linkdude74

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite ways to get a KO is Short hoop D-Air, spike them into the air against the ground, then U-Air to finish them off

Top Bottom