• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Features of the Smash Bros Series

DaveyBird

Smash Cadet
Hey, here ore some of my list of Smash-specific favorites that you mostly can't find in the characters' native games.

Favorite gameplay features:
1. The rules can be changed a whole bunch, either resulting in a pro-style match, or an unpredictable slugfest.
2. Easy to pick up.
3. Cutest and silliest fighting game series ever!
4. Pretty much, you can do everything the CPU versions of the playable characters can do (except not having the arrow make that ticking sound when you're offscreen)
5. Great showcase of more realistic versions of the characters, while still making them cute, cartoony, and recognizable.
6. A bunch of people still play the older two releases (My main game is Melee)

Cutest Smash Bros versions of characters (I know I'm a guy, but when I see something I think is cute and cuddly, I just have to tell everybody):

1. Bowser (he reminds me of a dog the way he looks, sounds, and acts. And the scene where he gets pushed off the cliff, and how he gets up in his clown copter, and how he laughs when flying away).
2. Donkey Kong (he's always cute, he's actually cuter than Bowser, he doesn't have spikes)
3. Diddy Kong (cuddly little arrogant monkey)
4. Falco, Brawl version mainly (gotta love that spunky, arrogant, cool, wisecracking personality, squawky voice, birdface, and those extremely tight, butt-conforming red capris!)
5. Toon Link (awww!)
6. Sonic (loved him since I was a toddler. When I was 3, my family had a Sonic-themed birthday party, where I dressed up in a Sonic costume my mom made me and my birthday present was a Genesis with Sonic 2! And by the way, you're too sloooow!)
7. Every Pokemon in the game (Lucario, however, is more cool than cute)
8. The Excitebike assist trophy.
9. Yoshi, and how he dances and skips around in his taunts
10. Peach looks intricate in Smash Bros

What are some of your favorite Smash features?

cannedbread

Smash Lord
the freedom. my character doesn't have to look at yours all the time. i can turn around. i can run around. my character can jump really high. jumping isn't just for dodging crouch attacks.

tl;dr i hate tekken

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I have a lot of favorite features but I'll just mention that I love the fact that it's all different Nintendo worlds combined and I like that a LOT.

What are some of your favorite Smash features?
I forgot what I enjoyed about the series before I got my mind warped by competitive play, but I do recall I enjoyed it for its more comical approach to fighting. I forget which fighting game it was I saw, but one of them these days will stop the game only so you can see someone's neck breaking or something graphic like that.

Something I wouldn't come to realize until later was the idea of platforms and directional influence. Platforms add that extra layer to the game and the DI gives a bit more power to the person getting attacked.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I love the very basis of the game. Characters coming from different game universes joining together and fighting each other. I also like the damage percentage system. It's unique and interesting.

Asiansrule577

Smash Rookie
I love the fact that Smash Bros. is just all around different from fighting games. First, it's a platformer fighting games and most games out there are like Street Fighter. Smash Bros. just made the genre so much different. But my favorite aspect about it is that it brings all our favorite characters together.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
i used to love the fact that it was also a deep fighting game as well as a party game, but brawl took this aspect of the series away and left us with just the party game.

DaveyBird

Smash Cadet
I especially liked the Melee version of Bowser better than the Brawl one. In Melee, he looked like a badass bodybuilder. In Brawl he looks like a tubby mess. I hope they bring back his Superhero Muscles in SSB4! That was part of the reason I bought SSBM, cause he looked more human, yet still looked, sounded, and acted cute! BOWSER'S MELEE MUSCLES AND FALCO'S BRAWL BUTT CAPRIS FTW!! LMBO!!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The degree of character control, mostly. You don't have to ****ing dedicate yourself to static jump arcs and stuttery dash steps or slow walking, and even the blocking mechanic is analog, instead of simple high/low/sometimes air depending on game. Outside of Smash the only fighters I can really enjoy playing are ones that give me more analog and variable control of my character- Arcana Heart 3's homing, Hisoutensoku's Flight mechanic, and other airdash fighters if they have a run instead of a step and transfer momentum fluidly when using the more limited movement options compared to Smash.

The Analog nature really gives Smash its complex nature since nearly the only thing set in stone is the frame and animation data when grabbing a ledge.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I love how it's one of the few fighting series that you cannot blindly button mash and expect to do moderately well.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
tbh y'all most not of faced some very good players before than in those fighters.

when you face some decent people button mashing is gonna get you punished hard, very very very hard.....

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Unless you're Noel or Tsubaki. ****ing autocombos from any input to any other and completely random invincibility.

It comes down to the whole idea of aboyning: "To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him."

"The best swordsman in the world only needs to fear the worst, because he has no idea what that idiot will do with a blade."

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Button mashing in Street Fighter is never rewarding. Anyway....

.... I love Smash because all of Nintendo's biggest franchises are represented, games I have really enjoyed during my childhood. Also, the gameplay is flawless, especially the freedom.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
My favorite features has got to be the fact that there is aerial combat implemented to the game rather than just being grounded all the time. Also Meteor Smashes are very satisfying.

Mulecc

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1788-6477
I like the control and freedom which you are given to choose what to do with your character. I also like the fact it has many Nintendo characters who I like and have played in other games. I feel like in SSB there is such an element of the unknown. You could do any move and you have to react to what your opponent does. Also, the moves aren't ridiculously complicated to learn and I like the strategy you have to develop to try and defeat your opponent.

-----
Oh, and Metalbro you are correct, meteor smashes are EXTREMELY satisfying :D.

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
I like the control and freedom which you are given to choose what to do with your character. I also like the fact it has many Nintendo characters who I like and have played in other games. I feel like in SSB there is such an element of the unknown. You could do any move and you have to react to what your opponent does. Also, the moves aren't ridiculously complicated to learn and I like the strategy you have to develop to try and defeat your opponent.

-----
Oh, and Metalbro you are correct, meteor smashes are EXTREMELY satisfying :D.
you are so right, other fighting games has you combining weird button sequences and other stuff and if you miss a single button or blink you get so hard punished, specially in skullgirls where your opponent can land an over 100 hit combo on you, tough i love that game.

and yes, meteor smashes are really satisfiying, specially with snake or ike.

edit: hey mullec your signature kind of looks like a pokemon team but in brawl version, i like.

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
This was the first fighting game I played that had up to players at once. That's a huge bonus to the smash bros series in my opinion. Not to mention what many of you have said, I grew up on all of these characters.

KingJacob

Smash Apprentice
I love how the movement in smash feels so free. Also I love how as your percent goes up, the combos have to be adjusted accordingly. Not only that, but combos feel really natural unlike other fighting games. It is just the best competitive game I have ever played. My favorite competitive games in order are:

1. Project M
2. Melee
3. Persona 4 Arena
4. Brawl

Top Bottom