• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite And Least Favorite Gen 6 Starters?

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
For the 2nd Generation in a row, Grass is my favorite starter, and Fire is my least favorite (although Delphox has the best typing with Fire/Psychic), which is a far cry from the days that Fire was my favorite and Grass was my least favorite. Okay, I will admit, both Chespin and Quiladin suck major ass, and Froakie and Frogadier are my favorite 1st and 2nd stage Gen 6 Starter, but then Chesnaught came along and kicked an ungodly amount of ass. Seriously, look at him:

Chesnaught is not a Pokemon you want to mess with. He is pretty much the ultimate Grass Starter badass. Does he look like a Pokemon you want to cross? Does he look like a Pokemon that cares about your safety? No, Chesnaught can and will **** you up. Seriously, he will kick your pathetic ass. Chesnaught has to be my new favorite Grass Starter. Sorry, Sceptile.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I haven't got either game yet, but I'm very fond of the look of Froakie and his evolved forms. Chespin and Quilladin are okay, but they don't do anything for me especially. Chesnaught however looks fantastic. Fennekin and Braxien look magnificent, although I they lose that somewhat when they become Delphox.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
1st form: froakie, it's really close but i do like the other two forms better
2nd form: quilladin, not even close, the other 2 second forms are pretty badass and this is a round...thing?
3rd form: delphox, it's not bad, the other 2 are just way cooler

still way better than the 5th gen starters, only snivy holds up

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I actually like Quilladin, though he admittedly isn't my favorite. I actually think Braixen might be my favorite.

I still hate Greninja.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I chose Fennekin as my starter but tbh I think I'm liking Greninja way more than the other two now (coughproteancough). Delphox is alright and I've yet to train a Chesnaught but they're all pretty baller.
If I had to pick though, Greninja's my favorite and Chesnaught would go last, but again, I haven't trained one yet so I don't really have any opinions on it. It does look cool though but that's about it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Chespin's line has been my favorite since the group was first revealed. Almost hopped on the Fennekin train once Quilladin was revealed but the little guy really grew on me during my play-through.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I liked my Greninja and all, I was team Froakie from day 1

BUT my favorite starter in Gen 6 is Blastoise

Dark Pulse AND Aura Sphere, not to mention in his mega form Water Pulse does as much damage as Surf AND has a high chance of confusing the opponent

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
First stage:
All three were well done here. I have to give it to Chespin though. It's fundamentally the most creative of the three, if even that just means it is a chipmunk in a drugrug :p

Second stage:
I'm backing Quilladin on this one all way. In hindsight, he is utterly out of place and doesn't make much sense in connecting Chespin to Chestnaught, but in his own right he is pretty appealing. He reminds me of a friendlier looking Shiftry. Braxien is a close second, they started down the right track here, and conversely seeing Frogadier made me anxious. His long head in partular was a little off putting.

Third stage:
Yeah, I have to give this one to Greninja by a hair. Very naturally cool and aesthically minded design and character. Chestnaught is visually, might I say, not exaggerated enough, his stance is too nuetral and face is a little too cute for what the rest of him looks like. Delphox is just a hot mess of stupid, sorry :(

On a side note: Chespin's line got the best shiny

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Chespin is adorable and I have a soft spot for Grass starters, so he's easily my favorite. Chesnaught being a tank helps him out quite a bit.

Something about Fennekin has always seemed "off" to me. Maybe it's because it reminds me of Vulpix and Zorua too much, or maybe because I think it looks more like a midgame Pokemon than a Starter. It's evolutions are alright, but they're not as cool as Froakie's evolutions (Greninja being in Smash does help out quite a bit). I guess she's (he's?) my least favorite.

Hapless Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
haplesshero13
3DS FC
4957-3053-7055
Water. Not only is Greninja the best HM slave for in-game use, but with Protean, Greninja is the only serious competitive threat in the Gen 6 starters. To top it off, it's a ninja frog with a scarf. How much more awesome can you get? Top-tier starter right there.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Usually I go for grass type, but Fennekin is so lovely I had to make an exception this one time.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Favorite is Fennekin because it's the cutest one & I like its evolution stages. Least favorite is Chespin. Never was a fan of grass starters excluding Turtwig & Snivy.

D

Deleted member

All three of their first stages were adorable and I was finding it really hard to choose but I decided to go with Chespin.

Quilladin honestly caught me off guard. It's cute in someways, but I much prefer Chespin.
Braixen and Frogadier both look cool.

Delphox last evolutions just doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer Fennekin or Braixen.
Greninja and Chesnaugh look awesome!

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Greninja. He is cool. Quilladin looks atrocious, it's like Ken or however designed him gave up and just,.....drew that thing. Not to mention he is REALLY slow. Brawl Ganon slow.

Wes762

Smash Cadet
NNID
wes762
Favorite: Greninja because of obvious reasons. Least favorite: Chesnaught because he looks plain dumb.

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
Greninja was pretty sweet first time I did not go with a firetype for in game play. Not like it mattered since Zard is available from the start as well.

KoE

Smash Rookie
Greninja all the way. I love his design so much. When I first saw Frogadier I was skeptical, I wasn't a fan, but once I saw Greninja, I knew it would be based-god tier.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Chespin mustard race. I admit I was a bit skeptical at first, given it was the first time the Grass line has been mammals (or anything not reptiles for that matter), but it didn't take much time for me to warm up to them (I immediately loved Chesnaught).

Least favorite was Froakie line. Kinda the opposite situation, with me squeeing over Froakie itself at first, but progressively liking the line less and less as more was shown. I actually liked the fake "leaked" final form that resembled Frogadier more than Greninja.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I have a feeling I'm the only one that likes Delphox. Maybe I just have a habit of liking the least favorite pokemon or something... (coming from a person who also loves Oshawott and Jigglypuff) but honestly, its my favorite Final Evolution of any starter pokemon ever. It's just really cool looking and what not haha. I envy Fennekin's love and it kinda sucks that Fennekin is so popular that it rules out the possibility of Delphox ever getting any sort of recognition.

Makes me sad whenever I see anyone talk about how disappointing they were with Delphox :C

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Well, I don't want to invoke any hate, and I know that my opinion is unpopular, but I wasn't particularly fond of the starter lineup this generation. I picked froakie/greninja, and they were cool and all, but they weren't really enjoyable in pokémon amie, and they just didn't really give me that pride that made me want to tell people all about how my starter was the best. I still believe that froakie/greninja are the coolest of this generation, considering that the other two just aren't . . . appealing to me either aesthetically or statistically. I really can't explain what makes a pokémon asthetically appealing to me, but when I see one that I like, I just know it. Statistically however, I tend to favor defensively inclined pokémon, and while chespin was defensive, he just wasn't cool in my eyes. I have many favorites that are not defensive, but I've just noticed that very visible trend in pokémon I like. (here comes the unpopular part) It is my opinion that this generation's starters are the least intriguing to me out of all of them. I appreciate the theif, paladin, mage element, and their typings are pretty cool, but between the three, they just aren't as cool as past generations.

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
1. Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja
2. Chespin/Quilladin/Chesnaught
3. Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Felt like Gen 5 to me. Great Gen for the most part, lame as crap starters. I didn't get the Gen 6 games because I don't own a 3ds but if I did I'd probably go for Fennekin.

Chesnaut is cool but I prefer starters that are more offensive.

And Greninja is only fun with protean for me.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Favorite is Froakie.
Thanks to Protean and their usable offenses, the Froakie line make excellent attackers that get STAB off of everything. The design for Greninja also looks pretty dang cool; a tongue for a scarf is a pretty funny idea.

Least favorite is Fennekin.
I found the Fennekin line to be rather unappealing to me. I thought their designs were rather cutesy and not very threatening. Plus... Magician is just an ability I wasn't very fond in. I wish they got something better for their Hidden Abiity.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
Favorite: Froakie because it's adorable.

Least Favorite: Chespin. Its design does nothing for me.

Greninja and Delphox are tied for my favorite of the starter's final evolutions.

Top Bottom