• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fandoms you hate being associated with

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
(Please, try to not go full Rambo talking about this.)

So, we've all probably have gotten into a game/anime/manga/show/what have ye before, where once you enter the fandom you want to GTFO as soon as possible.
Which fandoms have had you facepalm and walk out the door? Feel free to share your experiences here!

For me, off the top of my head, it's probably the Hetalia fandom. My boyfriend is the ONLY sane fan I've come across, and he's the only one who's still keeping me in this mess. Everyone shoves their opinions down your throat, and if you don't agree with them on something, you're a "baka". Did I forget to mention I've had a death threat or two thrown at me for my opinion? Oi vey.:ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Some Attack on Titan fans are way too crazy it almost makes me regret watching the anime. I'm looking at you Tumblr.
I wouldn't say I'm in that fandom though even though I like the anime and still reblog Attack on Titan content. But when I come across the weird posts I can't help but shake my head.

Edit: Yea, the Hetalia fandom is whack, even worse than Attack on Titan xD I haven't watched the anime but I've seen how some fans act.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Supernatural.

The fandom went full ****** and labeled Jensen Ackles a homophobe for not wanting to answer a question regarding "Destiel" for the millionth time. This is exactly why I do not associate myself with any fandom at all.

D

Deleted member

There are too many for me to list and not one fanbase stands out to me as the absolute worst. Most, if not all of these groups have their share of fanboys and fangirls who I don't like associating myself with.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't really feel any sense of connection to any fandom of stuff I'm interested in. Not very keen in gamers in general though, not because of the whole nerd thing (although that doesn't help), but more because they're a bunch of marks who are too ignorant to actually be expressing the opinions they do.

Oh well

Chinaux

Smash Ace
I mean if you're interested in it then you shouldn't be ashamed of being associated with it.

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
Supernatural.

The fandom went full ****** and labeled Jensen Ackles a homophobe for not wanting to answer a question regarding "Destiel" for the millionth time. This is exactly why I do not associate myself with any fandom at all.
I hate to admit this, but I feel for this guy. I've been called a homophobe just because I don't really like yaoi that much. And with a series (Hetalia) mostly containing men, it's not easy saying your thoughts.

No offense to those who like yaoi, but you guys aren't really on my good side with all that I've put up with.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I hate to admit this, but I feel for this guy. I've been called a homophobe just because I don't really like yaoi that much. And with a series (Hetalia) mostly containing men, it's not easy saying your thoughts.

No offense to those who like yaoi, but you guys aren't really on my good side with all that I've put up with.
You're supposed to like that stuff these days? This is coming from a guy guy. Don't worry there's nothing wrong with how you feel lol

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
You're supposed to like that stuff these days? This is coming from a guy guy. Don't worry there's nothing wrong with how you feel lol
But I'm a giiiiiirl! I MUST love it! I'm unnatural if I dooooon't!
Yeah, this is how it normally goes down when I say that.
The homophobic part doesn't make any sense to me cause of my sexuality. But apparently i'm "lying" so that people will get off my back. Logic? what be that.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Anime Fandom: Especially Dub vs Sub people (I watch the dub because the text is often distracting and not always accurate)

Battlefield Fans: Some of the biggest pricks I have ever met online

FPS fandom in general: They are assholes

Those are the main trio

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

There isn't much yaoi I've seen with a good enough story, so I don't care for it at all ("Gravitation" was only mildly decent). If that makes the likes of me, a member of the LGBT community in a same-sex relationship with my girlfriend and a pansexual, a homophobe, then I'd like to know what makes the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
I hate being associated with the speedrunning community. Every time someone asks me what I do in my free time, I explain to them "I play through decades old games in an attempt to finish them as fast as possible, with no restrictions. This means I exploit the games' natural mechanics and several particular glitches to enhance my movement and speed to an almost frame perfect level."

I then usually specify some games run at 30FPS (frames per second) and some at 60FPS. I make sure to let them know of PAL limitations (occasionally mentioning SECAM) and the oddities that are the N64 Zelda games with their 20FPS gameplay, 30FPS pause menu, and 60FPS file select. Then I add, "Once I've beaten the game, I do it again the next day in hope that I can do it faster. It's exhilarating. I'm very good at the games I speedrun. I have world records. Do you want to know what games I speedrun? I used to speedrun The Wind Waker but have more recently taken up only running classic N64 games like Bomberman Hero and Mystical Ninja starring Goemon. They have great soundtracks. Do you watch Cosmo? You can follow me on twitch at-" and that's when they cut me off with either an angry or disgusted look on their face; usually accompanying this rudeness is some idiotic, asinine remark.

They've told me a large variety of things, from claims that I'm a no-life loser to even statements that I should consider a different hobby. One particular girl actually called the police on me once, and boy let me tell you... You don't know frustration until you've tried to explain speedrunning to a bunch of stupid middle age pigs. LOL! Anyway, I can't stand the ignorance of some people, belittling me for simply describing the intricacies of my trade. This disrespect is encountered far too frequently. Though I hate my association with speedrunning for these near daily atrocities, I will not waver in my quest to find someone who listens to me. N64 controller in hand, I swear my allegiance to speedy completion. Mark my words: someday, I won't have to waste my precious time arguing with strangers. Someday, someone will recognize the brilliance of speedrunning and will accept me for who I am. Someday, I will be happy.

Last edited:

TaylorTotFTW

Smash Rookie
Honestly, those doors should be closed, and there should be a crawling entrance from tunnel to mid2B, they then open at 5 seconds, that way T can't shoot CT every single round so B is weaker.

DDDchu

Smash Cadet
NNID
DDDchu96
3DS FC
4098-2457-6801
CSGO sometimes because of the whole "clutch or kick" crap.
FNaF because so many fanfiction writing 12 year olds

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I hate being associated with the speedrunning community. Every time someone asks me what I do in my free time, I explain to them "I play through decades old games in an attempt to finish it as fast as possible, with no restrictions. This means I exploit the games' natural mechanics and several particular glitches to enhance my movement and speed to an almost frame perfect level."

I then usually specify some games run at 30FPS (frames per second) and some at 60FPS. I make sure to let them know of PAL limitations (occasionally mentioning SECAM) and the oddities that are the N64 Zelda games with their 20FPS gameplay, 30FPS pause menu, and 60FPS file select. Then I add, "Once I've beaten the game, I do it again the next day in hope that I can do it faster. It's exhilarating. I'm very good at the games I speedrun. I have world records. Do you want to know what games I speedrun? I used to speedrun The Wind Waker but have more recently taken up only running classic N64 games like Bomberman Hero and Mystical Ninja starring Goemon. They have great soundtracks. Do you watch Cosmo? You can follow me on twitch at-" and that's when they cut me off with either an angry or disgusted look on their face; usually accompanying this rudeness is some idiotic, asinine remark.

They've told me a large variety of things, from claims that I'm a no-life loser to even statements that I should consider a different hobby. One particular girl actually called the police on me once, and boy let me tell you... You don't know frustration until you've tried to explain speedrunning to a bunch of stupid middle age pigs. LOL! Anyway, I can't stand the ignorance of some people, belittling me for simply describing the intricacies of my trade. This disrespect is encountered far too frequently. Though I hate my association with speedrunning for these near daily atrocities, I will not waver in my quest to find someone who listens to me. N64 controller in hand, I swear my allegiance to speedy completion. Mark my words: someday, I won't have to waste my precious time arguing with strangers. Someday, someone will recognize the brilliance of speedrunning and will accept me for who I am. Someday, I will be happy.
For what it's worth, I absolutely love speedrunning videos, and though I'm no speedrunner, I really appreaciate game-breaking speedruns, especially of retro games.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
This is it. It's happened. I can finally die happy. Good bye, everyone.

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
For what it's worth, I absolutely love speedrunning videos, and though I'm no speedrunner, I really appreaciate game-breaking speedruns, especially of retro games.
I second this. I'm not the best speedrunner myself (and probably never will be), but I've always loved seeing people exploit shortcuts/glitches in games I thought I knew everything about.

I'm still waiting for someone to speedrun Xenoblade. I'm 100 hours in and I STILL haven't beat it. (Possibly my faut for trying to 100% first playthrough, but whatever)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, I can relate with being called falsely homophobic over yaoi. In a video game fandom I'm in that's relatively small, I got called homophobic because I didn't like one yaoi pairing in particular, and that pairing wasn't even canon. They threatened to dox and hack me afterwards. No joke.

But anyway, on topic I'd say most JRPG fan bases are crap. Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy (especially with those two's rampant shipping wars and female character bashing), Persona, and even though it's not a JRPG, Danganronpa's fan base can be terrible too.

And Naruto. Oh my lord, NARUTO. And Bleach. I GTFO'd those fandoms as fast I could. I could go on...

GuiltyBadguy

Smash Cadet
Sometimes the Pokemon fandom whenever topics like "which generation is the best" are brought up, especially when genwunners get involved. >_>

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
My Little Pony. I swear.
The show itself is decent; it's cute, has good lessons; obviously a kids' show, but I digress. I haven't looked at what the fandom has done to inflict on itself the kind of hatred I met with the phrase, "yeah, MLP is nice." I'd like to create a stone wall between the idea of a "fandom" and that show, because the intents of either thing is completely different, yet they are treated exactly the same.

Yu-Gi-Oh. The fanbase deserves a little more flack, due to the truth of the stereotypes.... Not saying all Yugi players are like this, but taking a shower is generally a thing that most people do daily; not to be mean, it's just gotten to that point.... It's quite frustrating.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Oh, this so much.
The Koopalings are amazing, and there are a ton of people who enjoy them. There are fans who don't go overboard with everything.
But then there are the others who make 23145343215 OCs who aren't exactly well written and/or alter the Koopalings in some ways and/or have some rather... fetish-y fantasies with them. I usually wouldn't have a problem with this, if it wasn't for the fact that I feel like characters are throughly bastardized because of this.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFCJzGZcg
Aw, what a cute picture. *yeahs*
Annie Fox: *Lemmy licks me with his tongue*
[...]
Annie Fox: Lick me, please!
Uh... what? o_o

Speaking of Koopalings, some parts the Mario fanbase usually has the annoying habit of constantly complaining about everything. The GameFAQs boards of Mario Kart 8 and Mario Party 10 are cancerous. The Smash fanbase can get quite toxic at times as well.

The Minecraft fanbase is still probably the worst out of everything, and it completely ruined the game for me.
There are it's great people who achieve and do great stuff with the game system and act friendly and helpful, sharing their experiences with everyone, like maps, mods and textures, which is amazing and enhances the gameplay of this game that would probably get old quickly otherwise. But then there's the part of the fanbase that just acts like braindead meme zombies (Pretty much the entire Skydoesminecraft fanbase, for instance, the entire Herobrine stuff, too) who try to force those memes onto you and worship them like a cult or something, the part that constantly takes issue with how you play and the part that acts insanely dirty in Multiplayer servers, especially in servers with minigames like Trouble in Mineville, Minecraft Hunger Games etc., and even aside from all of that, the general attitude in the fanbase seems amateurish and unfriendly. Harassment and toxicity is a completely usual and normal thing. I cannot play Minecraft multiplayer without getting annoyed anymore. It's sad, because you can do so much with this game. But the community completely and utterly ruined it. And the aforementioned people who do all those great contributions? They are always forced to push out new content on a constant basis or they will get flamed down. People like to take their time and not rush everything? Not possible.

Yu-Gi-Oh. The fanbase deserves a little more flack, due to the truth of the stereotypes.... Not saying all Yugi players are like this, but taking a shower is generally a thing that most people do daily; not to be mean, it's just gotten to that point.... It's quite frustrating.
I've played in Yugi tournaments before and I didn't have such issues. But I've heard a lot of reports that big tournaments can get rather stinky. Maybe it depends on the region? I dunno. I actually quite liked the fanbase, I just stopped playing Yugi because it got less interesting for me to spend money on the cards over time.

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
Oh god, Minecraft. That's one fandom I'd never touch with a 100 foot pole.

I put up with the fans of Sky everyday, thinking they're so "clever" referring to gold as butter. *sigh* And some of them bash me for not liking MC. Sorry, I just couldn't get into it.

Some parts of the MOTHER fandom is pretty bad. Not all of it, of course. Those who think "Nintendo hates us!" make me sick. They just don't want to risk having another incident similar to EarthBound, so they're not releasing 1 or 3 YET. I think they will, but just don't know WHEN.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
  • MLP:FiM – Even though it wasn't just the fandom that made me swear off the show (It was mostly the declining quality over the seasons), but it still played a pretty damn big part.
  • Pokémon: Why don't I play the games anymore? Because all this talk of EVs and IVs and Übers and **** makes me feel like I'm trying to walk around broken glass if I want to do ANYTHING. I tried to purchase AlphaSapphire to force myself back into the series, but I quickly started to consider it wasted money. That's how much I've been turned away.
  • Dragon Ball: I love, LOVE the franchise. But I hate, HATE the sheer fanboyism it attracts. I hardly ever talk to other DB fans because they get irritating very quickly.
  • Doctor Who; One word: Superwholock. When it became clear that people loved to lump those shows together only because of a shared demographic of David Tennant, Misha Collins, and Benedict Cumberbatch, I started to get turned away. It got even worse when my mother went into it full force and tried to drag me into Sherlock, which I honestly think is just plain a bad show.
  • Super. Smash. Bros. This is by far the single most outright TOXIC fandom that I've ever had the misfortune to meet, and it's dragged out all the worst in me as well. Super Smash Bros. has made me a worse person.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
  • Super. Smash. Bros. This is by far the single most outright TOXIC fandom that I've ever had the misfortune to meet, and it's dragged out all the worst in me as well. Super Smash Bros. has made me a worse person.

Btw don't take this the wrong way but like, if you hate the Smash community and Smash in general so much, why are you still here?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Btw don't take this the wrong way but like, if you hate the Smash community and Smash in general so much, why are you still here?
Because it's the only thing I know how to do anymore. I grew up with the series, so then when I started going deeper into it, I became trapped.

I despise the community.
I despise the games.
But I'm chained to both forever.

Yeah, my life is empty enough to where the only thing that defines me anymore is a ****ing video game. GO AHEAD! POINT AND LAUGH AT THE PATHETIC LITTLE ****PILE! Everyone else already does.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Because it's the only thing I know how to do anymore. I grew up with the series, so then when I started going deeper into it, I became trapped.

I despise the community.
I despise the games.
But I'm chained to both forever.

Yeah, my life is empty enough to where the only thing that defines me anymore is a ****ing video game. GO AHEAD! POINT AND LAUGH AT THE PATHETIC LITTLE ****PILE! Everyone else already does.
Maybe you should try broadening your horizons, you're still a teenager so there's plenty of time to find new things that make you tick.

You'll probably even like Smash again when it doesn't consume your life anymore.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I don't really consider myself part of any fandom, but I really dislike the TF2 and Steven Universe fandoms lately. TF2's just full of Lenny face spamming "lol rekt" kids who enjoy their dank memes too much, and Steven Universe is a whole other dimension of cringe.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Any community once it becomes plagued by "progressive" people shoving their socio-political trash into things it has no place in, forcing quotas, trying to employ thought control and generally shoving their twisted views into other people's business. Key example: indie game developer scene. What a train wreck it has become almost single handedly by these people's actions. I refuse to be associated with it.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I'm a massive Homestuck fan. I think that's all that needs to be said.
well....
I'm a part of this fandom,I know a number of people in the fandom, and its not THAT bad....
(after reading this post goes to hang out on tumblr with #homestuck)
ohh
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
Top Bottom