• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

False Swipe Gaming Releases Video on Fox's Competitive History

Fox_Competitive_History.png

Fox McCloud from the Star Fox franchise made his Super Smash Bros. series début in the original Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 and has had perfect attendance ever since, so it shouldn’t come as a shock that Fox has a rich competitive Smash history.

Fox has played a role in every Smash Bros. game’s competitive scene, although the extent to which he has affected each game is different. While he’s generally seen as a high tier in Smash 64, it’s a little up in the air just how good Fox is in the meta. There’s no question about the space animal’s might in Super Smash Bros. Melee however, given that he’s the most influential character in Melee’s meta with more than 10 players on the 2018 Summer SSBMRank maining him. Afterwards, our vulpine hero experiences a noticeable decline in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and, similar to his experience in Smash 64, it’s debatable just how good Fox is in this meta, although this time it’s mostly due to a very polarizing match-up spread. Finally, in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Fox returns yet again to being a top tier threat.

In False Swipe Gaming’s most recent Smash Bros.-focused video, they cover the history of Fox within the competitive scenes for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and Smash 3DS and Wii U in greater detail. If you want to see a more in-depth take on Fox’s competitive Smash Bros. history, do yourself a favor and watch the video below!

Author’s Note: Do you agree or disagree with the video and general consensus on Fox’s viability (or lack thereof) in the various Smash games? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

That was a nice video from him. I actually didn't know about the Brawl Fox rise at the end of competitive Brawl, so that was a treat!

A little thing I noticed is that he did get the number of Fox mains in the Melee 2017 Top 100 Rankings incorrect. There is actually about 35 of them who mains him, and about 11 uses him as a strong secondary. That is not even counting the ones who has a pocket Fox.

I also counted the number of Fox mains in the Summer 2018 Rankings, and there is about 20 who main him and about 5 of them uses him as a strong secondary.

That was a nice video from him. I actually didn't know about the Brawl Fox rise at the end of competitive Brawl, so that was a treat!

A little thing I noticed is that he did get the number of Fox mains in the Melee 2017 Top 100 Rankings incorrect. There is actually about 35 of them who mains him, and about 11 uses him as a strong secondary. That is not even counting the ones who has a pocket Fox.

I also counted the number of Fox mains in the Summer 2018 Rankings, and there is about 20 who main him and about 5 of them uses him as a strong secondary.
Yeah, I didn't count any of the co-mains (So I ended up with 11 Foxes, probably should have said solo-mained) but yeah, I guess doing that kind of understates how vast his influence is haha.
FIRE! *REFLECTOR NOISES*
I can hear the HAAAAIIIIYYYAAAAHHHH!!! and *blip* *blip* *blip* *blip*s in my head, Fox has some really memorable noises attached to him lol.

This is quite true. After I made that comment, I decided to research the topic, and found that dogs are in the family canidae, as are foxes, but foxes are in the genus vulpes, while dogs are in the genus canis. The significance of this merely is that dogs and foxes are not genetically compatible. Interestingly, domestic cats and wild lions are both called considered feline, but cannot breed. This is because lions, tigers, and other large cats are in the genus panthera, but in the family felidae and therefore are genetically incompatible. So, by this logic, foxes are indeed canines.

(ALSO interesting; if you watch the video, they actually call fox "vulpine" within about the first minute. Lol )

Edit; This is an interesting science, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit again; I realized I made a few typos in this, so, of course, I fixed them. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom