• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's worst matchup?

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I main Falco, and I haven't played him for a very long time, and I haven't been to any tournaments, but I feel like I have a terrible time with Link. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Hey Seagull :) I would say MK, Mewtwo, and Bowser are Falco's worst matchups. MK's strongest point imo is his gimping/offstage game. He is the best char at gimping Falco's subpar recovery. Mewtwo juggles spacies very well and his disjointed bair is good for gimping. Bowser's CC armor and super armor make it very difficult to approach him.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Hey Seagull :) I would say MK, Mewtwo, and Bowser are Falco's worst matchups. MK's strongest point imo is his gimping/offstage game. He is the best char at gimping Falco's subpar recovery. Mewtwo juggles spacies very well and his disjointed bair is good for gimping. Bowser's CC armor and super armor make it very difficult to approach him.
:bowser2:? Why would :falco: approach :bowser2: and how does :bowser2: get to :falco: lol?

:018:

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Mewtwo juggles spacies very well and his disjointed bair is good for gimping. Bowser's CC armor and super armor make it very difficult to approach him.
I have something else to add on to your comment about Mewtwo. If you utilize his hover, you can easily hit a bair/dair against Falco's predictable recovery. I don't agree with Bowser though. He is really easy to pillar, and his size makes him extremely easy to just dair spam. In addition, it's super easy to spike or dsmash bowser off the edge because of his terrible vertical recovery.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Falco is dumb.

Learn how to play around how dumb he is.

There is no hard counter to Falco, even nerfed as he is.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Why is Zelda not in this discussion? She did decent enough against Falkeezy in Melee even though she was trash. Now that she's, what, top 5?, shouldn't she at least be considered? I'm a bit illiterate in PM but Zelda, if the gist of her characteristics were kept the same, is harder than most of the cast for Falco to combo and she has a chaingrab on him.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
He super armor crawls the lasers?
I believe his crouch/crawl has light knockback armor, which is a less silly version of pure super armor, but yeah that's the idea.

I agree Mewtwo, Bowser, MK, and likely Zelda are worth considering. There's also Wolf. Supposedly Samus is effective too, especially thanks to crawl and Ice upSmash/fair. Maybe Diddy.

Last edited:

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
I'd say Zelda has a decent matchup against Falco, probably only a little bit worse than Marth. If the Marth matchup is 50-50 I'd say the Zelda matchup is 55-45 Falco, as ridiculous as that sounds. Zelda can put the heels on you out of getting hit by a dash attack. Falco can punish Nayru's, but you have to hit her in the ****ing neck, not that that's incredibly difficult with bair / dair, you just get punished hard if you mess it up. If Zelda is good with Din's placement you're basically forced to pull out an ariel to clank them, and that's a bait / setup in and of itself.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
try peach or something. i don't really think he has any hard counters so you'll have to do that ol' "better player" thing against him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zelda is pretty tough and most Falco's will lose to Zelda from getting grabbed or randomly Utilt/Usmashed into dat grab. MK is said to be pretty decent vs Falco, mostly the appeal of good tech chases and easy edgeguards. I don't recommend Brawl characters overall though, they don't seem very hot vs Spacies

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
peach definitely does well against falco. her MU was considered even with him in melee since she was one of few that could actually approach him and deal with his approaches (FC fairs and what not from above the lasers), but now you have an even easier time since peach recieved a few buffs while falco was nerfed very slgihtly. Shield grabbing his pillars is now one frame easier (loss of invincibility on shine), and approaching is slightly easier too with the additions of glide tossing and aerial glide tossing. you also gimp him harder with the added power and versatility to fsmash, and you even have a couple new options on the stage to try and kill him (a good read combined with a side b or DACUS are very viable options now). I think id actually say that this MU goes in peaches favor.

diddy is another one that i think falco loses too. hes small, far quicker than falco, and has projectiles that can be just as annoying as the lasers. also, almost all of diddys kill moves are horizontal kill moves that are very potent on falcos bad recovery. things like ftilt, dtilt, fair, bair, up b (OOS or as a gimp), and dsmash have the potential to kill falco very early. between diddys grab, up B, and upsmash OOS, he has a very good chance to be able to break pillars, and all of those OOS options can lead to set ups or kills.

GW is another. its harder to say that GW beats falco, but i think its very possible that they go even. its hard in neutral for GW because his mobility isnt too great, but the quality of his punishes are just way too good to ignore. simply being in neutral opens you up to filling your down b which can either help prevent an approach or give you yet another insanely early killing option. comboing to kill is like easier for you than it is for falco, and its pretty much a no brainer to finish the stock with an edge guard if your combo didnt just kill him off the bat.

MK and zelda are a couple others i would think of but i dont have enough experience with them to say definitely.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is the first character that comes to mind. Getting a grab on Falco usually means most of his stock is about be gone. Her weight makes her very hard to combo as well.

Marth, Puff, Bowser, and Peach all have a small advantage.

Meta Knight also seems to do well vs. Falco, but I think a lot of his advantage comes from certain stages heavily benefiting him, which a good Falco will typically ban in tourney. It seems pretty even on neutrals.

Honestly, I don't think any of these characters constitute a true counter, with the possible exception of Zelda (I don't have enough experience in the matchup to judge) although they would likely be a -1 matchup for him.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
GW is another. its harder to say that GW beats falco, but i think its very possible that they go even. its hard in neutral for GW because his mobility isnt too great, but the quality of his punishes are just way too good to ignore. simply being in neutral opens you up to filling your down b which can either help prevent an approach or give you yet another insanely early killing option. comboing to kill is like easier for you than it is for falco, and its pretty much a no brainer to finish the stock with an edge guard if your combo didnt just kill him off the bat
Just wanted to add that if a G&W fills his bucket with 3 of falco's lasers that it will do anywhere from 10-25% depending on a few factors and probably won't kill until higher percents due to the lasers' relatively low strength
Overall though its still a pretty good matchup

Wario isn't too bad either provided you're on a small stage such as yoshi's story

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have a hard time vs Link? It's extremely hard to get in Link's face because of all the projectiles he shoots out and he has a bunch of easy utilt chains on Falco, not to mention, it's really hard to get back on the ground if you get knocked up. It's not so much the shield grabs since they're trash but mostly the projectiles and all Link needs to reset the situation and start spamming projectiles again or get an easy 60% is land any hit on you, no matter how small.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have a hard time vs Link? It's extremely hard to get in Link's face because of all the projectiles he shoots out and he has a bunch of easy utilt chains on Falco, not to mention, it's really hard to get back on the ground if you get knocked up. It's not so much the shield grabs since they're trash but mostly the projectiles and all Link needs to reset the situation and start spamming projectiles again or get an easy 60% is land any hit on you, no matter how small.
I've never played a good Link, but from the one I have, quick shining projectiles puts pressure on them. Also you can combo link pretty hard to via pillaring. Respect the claw, and spotdodge to avoid it. Most importantly get in Link's face, he has a problem handling direct pressure. Staying at boomerang range sets you up for nasty combos, and if you ever are their, use Ftilt to clank it out. Lasers are hard to pelt Link with because of that darn shield, so an agro Falco is your best bet

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
Falco's "worst" matchups, though most of these are really closer to even if not slightly advantageous or just give falco a hard time: Meta Knight, Pit, Peach, Mewtwo, Marth and Samus. Maybe i could see Charizard, Yoshi, Kirby, Wolf, Lucario, Squirtle, and Icies doing decently.

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
GW is another. its harder to say that GW beats falco, but i think its very possible that they go even. its hard in neutral for GW because his mobility isnt too great, but the quality of his punishes are just way too good to ignore. simply being in neutral opens you up to filling your down b which can either help prevent an approach or give you yet another insanely early killing option. comboing to kill is like easier for you than it is for falco, and its pretty much a no brainer to finish the stock with an edge guard if your combo didnt just kill him off the bat.
GnW gets destroyed by Falco. Take it from the Best Gnw who seconds Falco. One of GnWs hardest Match ups

Top Bottom