• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's good stage and bad stage?

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I've been playing smash for a bit but i noticed something. Since I always practised on FD I don't have much skill at stages that include Platforms within them. So even people that I can beat on FD I get owned at other stages. So if people can give me tips or advices on how to use Platforms against other characters (mainly Fox, Falco, Marth Sheik) will be greatly appreciated ^^

Adi

Smash Lord
There's not really any general strategies to using platforms against your opponents as a falco player. Just make sure you're prepared to use combos involving them, and know general wavelanding and platform falling. If it's Fountain of Dreams watch out for the low platform as that can screw up your SHL but provides for some nice d-air chains against certain chars.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Don't be afraid to go to the other person with Falco, especially on platform stages. Your SHL won't have as big an influence as in FD but it is still very useful. Most opponents against a Falco try to platform camp a little, so change up your style in attacking them. FoD with the varying platform height is usually easier for Falcos to play on and pillar.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Just watch vids of pros playing and notice how they move around platforms, forward is especially good at this.

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys!! ^^ I've been practising a lot on platforms lol but i make sure i play FD every once in a while

wonnage

Smash Rookie
Marth vs. falco on yoshi/FoD just plain sucks. You'll really want to get wavelanding down because if you can't get around the platforms quickly, marth can just stay on the bottom level and slap you around like you're his *****. If you get thrown onto a low platform, he'll try to utilt/fsmash, and you just have to be really unpredictable with your teching to avoid it.

You'll also have to practice shorthopping and getting through the platforms, nothing sucks more than starting a nice shine combo and then getting stuck on a platform doing downsmash on the shyguys instead of a useful move.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Even though its not often used Jungle Japes is Side-b Heaven if you locate the areas to sweetspot the ledges

SCOTU

Smash Hero
uh... only if you know the stage very well, it's actually just really good because you can cover the whole stage w/ lasers and is very horizontal. the side b **** is more just for flashyness and for an alternate escape route. You've been watching forward haven't you. actually Forward's Freakin' good.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
there's already a few threads like this, i'll link you to some so you can get some more information.

Anyways, as much as people say it, FoD is not a good falco stage. the end.

all the other stages are pretty good, FD is great for lasering and comboing but its bad against chaingrabbers (good fights on this stage: samus, ganon, sometimes fox, etc) (bad against: sometimes fox, sometimes marth, sometimes peach, basically chaingrabbers becuase there's no platform to save you) You can still fight the CGers on this stage of course, but you have to keep good spacing with lasers or good pressure. once you get grabbed, some stupid **** happens.

I like Yoshi's Story now. i used to hate it, but i personally like it. its not the best stage but its good. the close kill zones are pretty good against people that generally recover good, but its also an easy stage to die on for yourself unless you DI well, but even on other stages its hard to recover becuase of falco's limited recovery.

Pokemon stadium is probably the next best besides FD. its pretty flat and good for your lasering, but some of the changes are pretty ******** but usually people will stall with projectiles until the stage changes back lol

DL64 is pretty good, but i don't like it against floaties and people with amazing recovery like Peach, Marth, sometimes luigi, and sometimes CF and Ganon becuase of their down b bonus jump, but they're easier to edgegaurd compared to others.

battlefield is pretty ******** to me but its certainly not a bad stage. just stay on the stage, once you're off you're pretty screwed. you can't wall hug and its hard to sweetspot against good edgegaurders (like countering marths, gross)

that's my analysis about what stages i like and don't like. any constructive criticism on my views is welcome and would be appreciated. :) good luck and i'll hook you up with some other threads like this later on.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
FD is not that great against Ganondorf, you can barely combo him on that stage. Actually, FD only helps your lasering, but it's not very good for your comboing at all. I don't agree that FoD is a bad stage, I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

Repryx

Smash Champion
FoD screws up my SHL AND my RSHL AND alotof my combos due to the platforms changing AND my recoveries due to it being a small stage...but I can eliminate these problems soon enough.

uh... only if you know the stage very well, it's actually just really good because you can cover the whole stage w/ lasers and is very horizontal. the side b **** is more just for flashyness and for an alternate escape route. You've been watching forward haven't you. actually Forward's Freakin' good.
LOLZ How did YOU know Scotu? heh Yeah yeah I been watchin 'em but I wouldnt have said any thing if I hadnt tried it myself. I have to say its actually a great mindgame b/c of the escape route AND if any one tries to follow you and the setting is right....Side-B Spike lolz.
It also works well using the F-throw, U-throw(at low%) and B-throw against an opponent who happens to DI in that direction to avoid a combo!
(Personal Experience!!!!!)

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
when i SHd into a Peach dsmash on a platform and racked up 54% damage at the start of a match on FoD yesterday, i decided I was never playing that stage again as Falco

oh yeah and that stage ***** SHL and RSHL and etc.

Repryx

Smash Champion
I tell you its all about placement of the Lasers and improvising your location (theoretically) try it out!

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
Thanks ppl i've been practising and the outcomes are pretty good please keep posting you're opinions and such and btw, whats FoD? thanks

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
FoD = Fountain of Dreams. we tend to abbreviate stages by initials a lot lol. FD final destinatin, PS pokemon stadium etc. :)

A-Laon

Smash Master
This topic has been discussed so much I'm just gonna make a clean list. :ohwell:

FD: Helps lasers and recovery; hurts combos and escaping CGs.
FoD: Helps combos, recovery, and escaping CGs; may hurt lasering and shffling substantially. (I say this as it really just depends on how competent the player is on the level)
BF: Helps combos and escaping CGs; hurts lasering and recovery
YS: Helps combos, killing, and escaping CGs substantially; hurts lasering

DL64: Really no major costs or benefits. Still, it can hurt Falco's overall game as the far blast-lines help the many characters with superior recoveries but do nothing for Falco.
PS: In my opinion, the best all-around stage. Lasering is great, combos are good, you can escape CGs, and there's no outstanding impacts on recovery.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
FD craps on combos against certain characters, but agianst falco fox and CF it really helps with those ******** waveshine combos we love doing :)

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
lol HAKU i like your sig. falco w/ sniper. awesome
lol thanks!

GamerGuitarist7
FoD = Fountain of Dreams. we tend to abbreviate stages by initials a lot lol. FD final destinatin, PS pokemon stadium etc.

ok cool thanks!

ppl keep posting your opinions please!! thanks

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Against floaties YS is a fun stage, because sometimes you find yourself able to shine them off the top at low percents. BF is cool because the top platform is exactly falco's first jump height.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
I used to hate YS, but I love it now. It's so easy to combo people on that level it's silly, FD is overrated as a falco level though. People can do such mean things to him there, all he really has is a laser against floaties, and against ff's they can punish him just as hard.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I never thought I'd hear this from you zeus. I remember when I had that epiphany myself. For a while I hated FD, now I'm just gay when I play there.

HAKU

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I kinda hated YS but its starting to be more enjoyable every time i play it now. I hate FD when i vs falco dittos...

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Big Blue is one of my personal favorites as a Falco player. But for a Falco, I suggest Brinstar Depths, especially against a Ness. Reflecting his lightning attack gives you control over it, so it can totally screw up a Ness. And there isn't much room for screwing up on Brinstar Depths, whih makes it perfect for a high jumper like Fox or Falco. At least, that's my strategy.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
I find final destination to be a good Falco stage. I don't like the pokemon stage. Bad for SHL.

Top Bottom