• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Falco's D Throw/CG Options- A Guide***

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
...are freaking unbelievable. Here's just a short list of some of the stuff I do with the D Throw and there explanation.

The Chaingrab

See Blad01's Chaingrab Project thread for information on percentages. This is simply D Throwing, moving forward and D Throwing, over and over until the character reaches there percentage threshold, at which point they can get out of it in some way. The amount you can move forward is very flexible. With certain characters you can move a very very small amount if you want, with others it has to be slightly bigger (but still small). If you're trying to move forward then you can tap the stick forward, doing a sort of singular foxtrot, covering a large forward distance. Around the same distance can be covered by simply walking with the stick pressed all the way to the side.

Attacks from D Throw

D Air- Using a SH FF D Air, you can spike your opponent to the floor and depending on percentage they will either stand on the ground or hit the ground, with the chance of a tech.

From the standing on the ground you can regrab. Whilst escapable, it happens very quickly and is difficult to avoid. When you land, you can basically do any attack to the opponent i.e. the gatling combo. Using this you can pseudo CG the unCGables (Peach, Lucario etc) to around 50% at which point they will hit the ground.

From them hitting the ground, given chance you can go into laser lock. You can also jab to regrab them, In the same way G&W does. If they tech to standing, it all becomes hypothetical, if you're still falling you can do a falling N Air, which (thanks to it's tiny landing lag) can allow you to do anything from it, even a regrab. If they tech to the sides, then I always found the best options to be a running grab, dash attack, shine, U Smash or DLX (my personal favourite).

And of course, this will spike your opponent if you're at the edge of the stage, sometimes causing an outright kill, sometimes leading to edgeguarding.

Dash attack, U Smash and DLX

All three moves are similar and are used in the same way, when your opponent is going to escape after the next grab or you're nearing the end of the stage and know you cant kill from a spike, these are your best options for pure damage. DLX is using the dash attack and then on impact U SMashing, executing both near simultaneously, easiest done by dashing, C Sticking down and C Sticking up.

IMO, you should always use the U Smash over the Dash attack as it does more damage, unless you wan't to keep your U Smash fresh. DLX will not hit with both the dash attack and U Smash depending on what percentage you do it and who your opponent is, so be prepared to end the CG early to get both hits in.

Misc

- Jab to grab is good to throw off spotdodges and gives you that little bit more damage.
- Be careful when jabbing in a grab, as you'd be surprised how easy people break out of grabs in Brawl. But when you can get away with it, do it.
- Falco is both a bird and a pilot, so why can he not glide like MK and Pit!?

If you have any suggestions or constructive criticism, please feel free to say and I will take that into account and edit my post accordingly.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Fair having so much landing lag would be risky when using it this close to the ground =/.

Nice guide. A bit short, but that's all we really know about Falco so far in the progressing metagame.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
id say good start. Although, there are MANY options. A guide probably wouldnt be best considering there are so many things that can be done out of the grab.

Top Bottom