• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Auto-cancellable aerials

J4pu

Smash Champion
Well I just found out that my former interpretation of an auto-cancelled aerial was wrong. I used to think it meant when you start an aerial early enough in your jump so that it ends before you touch the ground so that you receive no lag, but apparently there are windows before the move ends for certain aerials where if you land you still receive no lag.
I heard that Bair, Nair, and Dair are all auto-cancellable aerials for Falco after the hitbox comes out (which makes it useful), but it was not specified as to what the window of opportunity was for them ie. right after hitbox appears, in the middle somewhere, or almost at the end, so I thought i would bring this topic to the Falco mainers who probably have a more in depth insight on Falco's moves and could help me with this.
When are Nair, Dair, and Bair auto-cancellable?

The thread that originally explained these things to me can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169171

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Nair has no lag, anywhere. Bair, I'm not sure. Never land with it. Dair, always noticed it to have some lag but its only slight-haven't found that window yet.

B-Mon

Smash Journeyman
I believe that the Dair can be cancelled at an easier rate during its weakbox than its strongbox.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Nair has no lag, anywhere. Bair, I'm not sure. Never land with it. Dair, always noticed it to have some lag but its only slight-haven't found that window yet.
Although the difference may be small Nair does have some lag if not auto-cancelled
they talked about this in the thread i linked to in OP, not specifically for Falco but for any moves that barely give lag regardless.

I wish Fair had an auto-cancel window, that would be an awesome surprise against your opponent.

D

Deleted member

Nair, Bair, and Dair have little to no landing lag. There are no windows of opportunity, just land the aerials. You will notice there is almost no lag afterwards. With this method, you simply land on the ground while still performing the aerial. (Landing on the ground cancels out the rest of the animation).

You can also SH immediate Nair, Bair, or Dair and have no landing lag at all. This simply completes the moves before you even reach the ground, so the animation for the attacks has already ended. This just requires you to be really quick on the fingers (but it is not hard at all to do, though). The only problem with this method is that sometimes you want to fastfall the aerial or only hit with a certain part of it, which you can't really do with this method.

A basic Falco combo using these two techniques would be: Dthrow => SH Immediate Dair => Tech Read to SH Bair.

The reason this works is that the SH Immediate Dair has no landing lag afterward, which allows you to quickly techread and get off the Bair when they get up.

J4pu

Smash Champion
DNA did you even read the OP in the thread I linked to?
I'm aware that they all have minimal lag anyways, I was just curious as to the specifics of their status as auto-cancellable aerials.

Top Bottom