• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon tech roll

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Why do people say falcon's tech roll sucks?

The only thing that I agree with is that after the tech roll he has a slow spot dodge, but he has a good dash and can still shield as options.

From http://smashboards.com/threads/detailed-throws-techs-and-getups-frame-data.206469/

This is his Falcon's teching data. Tech in place is the same for almost all high tiers

Tech-Roll Forward
Total: 40
Horizontal Movement At: 11
Distance: 16.6 ft
Invincible: 1-20

Tech-Roll Backward

Horizontal Movement At: 8
Distance: 13.6 ft

Total time and invincible time is the same for most characters so we can discount that. Let's compare with fox's frame data...

Tech-Roll Forward
Horizontal Movement At: 9
Distance: 12.6 ft

Tech-Roll Backward
Horizontal Movement At: 6
Distance: 12.6 ft

Falcon's tech roll is longer in both directions which makes it harder for the other character to chase down.

I'm looking at http://smashboards.com/threads/why-is-falcons-tech-roll-so-bad.391233/

for the first post, one guy posted

1) it covers very little distance which means that characters with low speed don't have to worry about trekking the whole stage, as well as making the "leeway" for reacting to a specific tech option a bit greater.

^this is wrong as shown above

2) Captain Falcon throws a "tell" revealing which way he is going sooner in the animation sooner than other characters. I do not have the data in front of me, but i believe it is about 5 or 6 frames sooner than the space animals offer a similar tell. This means that you have an extra 10th of a second or so to react. A tenth of a second, in this case, is the difference between being very challenging (Tech chasing spacies on reaction) and mildly challenging (tech chasing falcon on reaction.

^is this actually true? falcon's horizontal movement doesn't start until much later, so isn't it harder to tell he's going to roll?

Am I missing something here? I don't see anything that makes Falcon's tech roll that bad if at all.

Magus420

Smash Master
I wasn't aware of it at the time, but CF and Ganon in particular have inflated distances on that list because the animations move in the opposite direction slightly before going the other way. The way I got the numbers back then was from the ground distance travelled stat on a nametag which gives the total distance and not net distance, so it's inaccurate for animations with that oddity.

Should go through and update that thread using numbers from TopN display at some point as I've been meaning to do that for a long time, but here are CF, Fox, and Falco's F/B tech rolls. Besides readability, options on getup, etc you also have to consider how big the character is btw. You can reach a larger character sooner than a smaller one that goes the same distance on the roll.
Code:
.	F	B
CF	41.790	38.800
Fox	38.400	38.398
Falco	44.000	43.997

Top Bottom