• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Punching after A Falcon Dive: lolmindgamez?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
The last couple weeks playing friendlies and going to a few small tournaments in the NoVa region, i couldn't help but notice that...at mid percents...people tend to DI back towards you after falcon diving them.

After noticing this I tried throwing out a falcon punch as soon as the dive connected, and fairly often the opponent (already DIing towards me) air dodged too early and got punished, or ended up spacing themselves wrong and in turn...got paunched.

Anyone else try this out?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The people who try to punish a Falcon Punch before it happens don't scare me at all, since I usually have it spaced so they'll get hit. It's the ones that actually know the timing and dodge it so they can punish you in the ending lag that will kill you. Or they jump over it sometimes if they have the time and are afraid of timing the dodge wrong.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
lol after watching a match, i absorbed a mind game that is quite handy, simply run towards them, tilt back , immediately sh, b. Falcon will jump with his back towards the opponent and paunch in the direction he jumped from.... why is this usefull? well some people tend to try and roll towards your back to punish slow moves, and the paunch is no exeption.... while doing this, they think you are going to sh paunch them, but when they notice that you're facing backwards, it's too late., they have already rolled xD
i did this against a dude online, he was diddy, and we were both down to our last stocks and with about 120% or more, none of us would land kill moves so i was like, it's now or never, PAUNCHHHH! :3

Wogrim

Smash Lord
lol after watching a match, i absorbed a mind game that is quite handy, simply run towards them, tilt back , immediately sh, b. Falcon will jump with his back towards the opponent and paunch in the direction he jumped from.... why is this usefull? well some people tend to try and roll towards your back to punish slow moves, and the paunch is no exeption.... while doing this, they think you are going to sh paunch them, but when they notice that you're facing backwards, it's too late., they have already rolled xD
i did this against a dude online, he was diddy, and we were both down to our last stocks and with about 120% or more, none of us would land kill moves so i was like, it's now or never, PAUNCHHHH! :3
In my experience, people never roll backwards when you Falcon Punch because they are afraid of the reversed one. 360 Punch is more useful, because if they didn't notice it's a 360 punch they can spot dodge too early since the reversed punch has a longer windup.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
In my experience, people never roll backwards when you Falcon Punch because they are afraid of the reversed one. 360 Punch is more useful, because if they didn't notice it's a 360 punch they can spot dodge too early since the reversed punch has a longer windup.
I actually had a question....I tried doing that for a little bit today (360 falcon punching), and I couldn't figure out how to do the full spin. Is it as easy as it should be? Like press B>>>turn control stick left>>>turn control stick right?

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Wait....Falcon has a 360 PAWNCH? O_O

I only knew of Ganon's and that's a move I've never been able to pull off. :/

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
^

yes, 360 punch is stronger than regular, but takes a little longer to hit. To do it, press the special button, then smash the control stick in the opposite direction while he's charging up.
thats a 180, a 360 would be rotating in a full circle and punching back at the starting position, which to my knowledge can't be done.

@Wogrim, yeah that is true, but if you short hop falcon punch, then they wont expect a 180 punch, i mean its pretty dumb if you run towards your opponent and short hop reverse falcon punch, cuz it takes a long time for falcon to turn, so he'll land before the punch is released, but if you do it like i posted, it should be fast and unpredictable

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I actually had a question....I tried doing that for a little bit today (360 falcon punching), and I couldn't figure out how to do the full spin. Is it as easy as it should be? Like press B>>>turn control stick left>>>turn control stick right?
360 Punch has to be done by running, turning around, and jumping right away (that whole part is called Reverse Aerial Rush or RAR because you are now flying towards your opponent facing backwards) then doing a reverse Falcon Punch, so that you end up facing forwards again.

In other words, if going from left to right, dash right, pivot(tap left), jump quickly, hold right a bit if needed, do a Falcon Punch, reverse it right away by holding right again right after you hit B.

You can also do it by just doing a B reversal in air (run forward, jump, flick back, B, reverse the punch by flicking forward again) but doing a B reversal will be slower that RARing it.

I supposed if you RAR, B reversal, then reverse the punch you could do a 540 punch, but I've never seen one done and havn't tried it.

thats a 180, a 360 would be rotating in a full circle and punching back at the starting position, which to my knowledge can't be done.

@Wogrim, yeah that is true, but if you short hop falcon punch, then they wont expect a 180 punch, i mean its pretty dumb if you run towards your opponent and short hop reverse falcon punch, cuz it takes a long time for falcon to turn, so he'll land before the punch is released, but if you do it like i posted, it should be fast and unpredictable
I still don't see people rolling unless they roll before they realize it's a Falcon Punch instead of a Knee or something.

thecarnitarian

Smash Rookie
I prefer the 180 aerial punch. True, you are facing away from your opponent, but you get such good DI after reversing that you can place the punch exactly where you need it.

Ace55

Smash Lord
As far as I know Ganon's 360 punch (I'm sure actually because I use it, mostly for recovery) is nothing more that a reversed B move (in the air you press the other direction, then use B, you must have known about it) followed by a reverse punch.

So when in the air facing right, tap left on the control stick, press B, press right on the control stick to reverse it and there you have it folks, a 360 falcon/warlock punch.

You guys did know about reverse b moves right, because you should have.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
As far as I know Ganon's 360 punch (I'm sure actually because I use it, mostly for recovery) is nothing more that a reversed B move (in the air you press the other direction, then use B, you must have known about it) followed by a reverse punch.

So when in the air facing right, tap left on the control stick, press B, press right on the control stick to reverse it and there you have it folks, a 360 falcon/warlock punch.

You guys did know about reverse b moves right, because you should have.
My post didn't describe it well enough?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I should probably clarify the fact that once you start a Falcon Punch you can only reverse it once, so for a 360 punch or a 540 punch you have to do the extra turns before you press B.

Ace55

Smash Lord
My post didn't describe it well enough?
Somehow I missed that part. The RAR 540 punch sound pretty sexy though. Didn't think about that one yet.

Did anyone try the 360 punch from a ledgejump (not hop, just jump on the ledge). With Ganon you fly forwards quite a bit but the punch is still too slow to really suprise them. Might work better with falcon punch.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Somehow I missed that part. The RAR 540 punch sound pretty sexy though. Didn't think about that one yet.

Did anyone try the 360 punch from a ledgejump (not hop, just jump on the ledge). With Ganon you fly forwards quite a bit but the punch is still too slow to really suprise them. Might work better with falcon punch.
no i havent yet,i'll probably try later

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
360 Punch has to be done by running, turning around, and jumping right away (that whole part is called Reverse Aerial Rush or RAR because you are now flying towards your opponent facing backwards) then doing a reverse Falcon Punch, so that you end up facing forwards again.
Wait, so it's essentially just RARing a falcon punch?
lol, I'll try it out then :p.

Wogrim

Smash Lord

540 Punch is kinda pointless though because if you do it fast enough to be worthwhile it'll just look like a 180 Punch to the opponent.

360 Punch from ledgejump sounds too slow to be useful, but it reminds me I should make a video for the Forsaken Recovery.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
540 Punch is kinda pointless though because if you do it fast enough to be worthwhile it'll just look like a 180 Punch to the opponent.

360 Punch from ledgejump sounds too slow to be useful, but it reminds me I should make a video for the Forsaken Recovery.
yeah its kind of slow,if they know what you are doing then they can just hit you in the air.
i thought ayaz made a video of the forsaken recovery already too

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Haha I hit with a 360 PAWNCH today after trying to learn it on the Sandbag. :D It was a FFA(might have been 2v2...played a lot today) but the match was under 3:00 so I'll put it on YT sometime tomorrow. :)

Top Bottom