• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon doesn't look right...

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
I know this is minor, but it irked me the moment I saw his post this morning.

Captain Falcon looks horribly out-of-proportion this time - at least in his DOJO pic. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy, but you can't tell me that the Captain doesn't look extremely stubby, short, and big-headed this time around when comparing to his official art or Melee model...

For those who don't believe me, take a look at the proportions in the images below - he's supposed to be macho/manly, tall, and buff. Now, he looks buff and manly, but awkwardly short and stubby. >_< (The size of his head and his SUPER short, not-as-muscular legs really ruin it for me)

Anyone else agree?

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
I noticed the same exact thing. It is minor, but yeah, they should have realized he was a little out of wack. I never noticed in vids though, so maybe its just this shot.

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
i didnt see it at first but now that you point it out....yes he is different ina variety of little things.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
It really is a shame that they made him shorter overall, which effectively squashed his features. Maybe they just wanted Snake to look cooler? :dizzy:

Fire4All

Smash Cadet
He looks like he changed from Hispanic to Asian...>.>
It doesn't matter so long as he plays well...but from what I hear, he's been downgraded horribly.

:034:

Smash Hero
The legs are too short. It makes him look awkward.

He looks good in the screenshots, though, so they probably just did it to spare the webpage a bit.

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
he looks like a pocket gay gym bunny :(
Lmao! Your post is ftw. XD

But yeah, I totally agree and his nose IS strange. They kinda...flattened it a bit too much..looks weird. That, and before it seemed like her had white eyes glowing THROUGH the visor...now it looks like construction-paper triangles glued ONTO his visor. Awkward, lol.

But whatever, the Captain's still hot in cutscenes. :)

Just for clarification, he never looked like that in Melee.

that model on the right was his F-Zero GX/AX model, created by Nintendo and Sega.

If you are going to do a comparison, do so with the Melee model:

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
yeah it's just the render that's out of proportion. i noticed that too. his legs are too short.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
Oh, that is because that's the NEW Captain Falcon from GP Legend or F-Zero Climax. That's Rick Wheeler as Young Captain Falcon.

lol The Captain Falcon from Melee died. j/k

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
That picture is really bad. I was about to make a thread about this actually but then I saw this one. Way too short, way too fat, and his face looks lame. Luckily he doesn't look terrible in-game.

Voice in-game is still not the best though...

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
He still has the Golden Nipples!.....****** Falcon is Winner. :D

Hong

The Strongest
Haha. Well.

Way, way back in 2005 I was talking to friends about how Sakurai, being another developer (albeit a game developer, where I'm only an animator) would want to greatly diversify and create more distance in how the characters from different worlds and franchises would appear. After all, the cast of characters will be bigger and everything being realistic is boring when you can be creative with top of the line artistic software, no?

So I thought among many things "Hey, perhaps they'll use pseudo cel-shading to make Captain Falcon look like a 70s comic super hero!". Of course I saw him a few weeks ago and that clearly wasn't the case (which comes as no surprise). But however it looks like they modeled him to look like he did before SEGA got their hands on him and made the art so realistic.

Falcon in F-Zero X:

Falcon in Super Smash Brothers (N64)

So yeah, I think the idea was to make him look cheesy and outlandishly exaggerated. Kind of like Samus looks a bit bulky like she did in Super Metroid, as opposed to how much slimmer her armor become in the recent years. I mean, it's Smash Brothers. Everything is going to look ridiculous in the end. :p

SparkElectro

Smash Rookie
I think Sakurai just squished his photo for the site. From the vids I've seen he looks just as normal as he did in Melee.

Top Bottom