• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Dang, best Falcon I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH04X3Bs2QY

Speaking of which, around 0:17 he dashes back and forth and he does it quite a bit. It looks like Fox-trotting to me. Is this true or is it something else?
Yeah that's correct it's Foxtrotting! The timing seems to be really strict though and personally i can just pull it off once every 4 tries or something but Fatality seems amazingly good at doing it.

Last edited:

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound

Speaking of which, around 0:17 he dashes back and forth and he does it quite a bit. It looks like Fox-trotting to me. Is this true or is it something else?
I've never actually seen that before. Looks like a Sm4sh dash dance.

And yeah, he's incredibly aggressive. He handled my Sheik and I switched to Captain Falcon later that day.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound

And yeah, he's incredibly aggressive. He handled my Sheik and I switched to Captain Falcon later that day.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
So does anyone know the difference between a regular sliding upsmash and a JCupsmash? It seems likely that the difference is very negligible but I'm so new to the game that it'd be nice to get some confirmation.

Is there a good way to practice using Falcon's dash grab? Because I feel like I miss or overshoot a lot. Is there a good way to practice using it?

Woker!

Smash Cadet
Hi! any good falcon player? I main fox and luigi, and I really have problems vs falcon, so I would like to play againts a really good falcon :D anyone?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

It is indeed like a dash dance. It's harder to perform and not as versatile, but it is a very strong option for Falcon's bait and punish game. I use it more and more and when done right it covers an incredibly high amount of space and thus creates lots of pressure.
So does anyone know the difference between a regular sliding upsmash and a JCupsmash? It seems likely that the difference is very negligible but I'm so new to the game that it'd be nice to get some confirmation.

Is there a good way to practice using Falcon's dash grab? Because I feel like I miss or overshoot a lot. Is there a good way to practice using it?
JC Usmash slides farther afaik, maybe you're doing the sliding Usmash with the analog stick while tap jump is on ? Try it with the Cstick and you'll see the difference.

And there's no particular training for dash grab, just try it again and again until you get the right spacing. If you feel like the opponent is too close and you're gonna whiff then go for pivot grab.

(HYES!)Bento

Smash Rookie
What are your guys ways of setting up for that amazing knee? I rarely land knees and its only when I do a falling U-air or a d-throw to a knee. Any tips?

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I don't have any offhand, but maybe someone else does. basically hit them up, pretend to followup, but instead wait for them to air dodge and punish the end frames. You can also bait an air dodge in edgeguard scenarios.

Kiba113

Smash Rookie
What are your guys ways of setting up for that amazing knee? I rarely land knees and its only when I do a falling U-air or a d-throw to a knee. Any tips?
IMHO knee is pretty bad, even if you are quite sure it will hit (grounded uair -> knee) theres always a chance it will miss. CF players don't need to search for a kill, we have so many kill moves.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
IMHO knee is pretty bad, even if you are quite sure it will hit (grounded uair -> knee) theres always a chance it will miss. CF players don't need to search for a kill, we have so many kill moves.
It isn't about searching for a kill, it's about showing them our moves.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Knees DESTROY bad air dodges, as has been said. Down-airs against grounded opponents also feed well into knees because the person tended to go straight up and down, this is how Zero landed his knee against M2K at Apex'15. I am a big fan of spending the whole game Gentleman-ing and then trying to finish the game with jab-jab-shorthop-knee. I'm very new to the character and I've already landed several jab-jab-SH knee combos and reliably set them up at other times only to mess up the combo.

I also strongly suggest using only the C-Stick to try and land the knee, I find my hit rate goes waaaay up when I start using the C-Stick midair for landing hits.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Jab jab SH knee has a name, it's called :

THE LEGEND

Because everyone that gets hit by it becomes part of your legend.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Knees DESTROY bad air dodges, as has been said. Down-airs against grounded opponents also feed well into knees because the person tended to go straight up and down, this is how Zero landed his knee against M2K at Apex'15. I am a big fan of spending the whole game Gentleman-ing and then trying to finish the game with jab-jab-shorthop-knee. I'm very new to the character and I've already landed several jab-jab-SH knee combos and reliably set them up at other times only to mess up the combo.

I also strongly suggest using only the C-Stick to try and land the knee, I find my hit rate goes waaaay up when I start using the C-Stick midair for landing hits.
What makes the c-stick easier with the knee?

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
What makes the c-stick easier with the knee?
I inevitably drift a little bit when I use the regular ->+A input for knee, using the C-Stick lets you stay perfectly in place. I find it makes the knee way more accurate. jab-jab-sh knee is much easier for me using the C-Stick.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Very new to the character here.

What are Falcon's kill moves, and what percentages should I start looking for them at?

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Very new to the character here.

What are Falcon's kill moves, and what percentages should I start looking for them at?
1. All of them.

2. Go into For Glory or Anther's Ladder friendlies and get a feel for when things kill, I'd say.

Dair and utilt can get spike kills absurdly early.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Falcon's best options for off-stage pressure?
Dair if they're recovering low enough and you can make it back.

Uair if they're up high and don't have a high-priority/range aerial like Rosalina.

Bair for low% kills off of the side or for stage-spiking.

Demitus

Smash Rookie
I have trouble landing the knee when it is supposed to be a true combo from grab. I seem to be a little too slow to pull of the dthrow to knee. When I see other people do it, they seem like they dash out of grab almost instantly. Is there a trick to this?

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
It's never* a true combo from grab unless they mess up DI, in which case you need to recognize the opportunity and go for it.

* I think Marth can't escape it at a very specific %? Still, not something to rely on.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Watching top Falcons I see them land nairs all the time, but I don't often connect with it in my gameplay. When/where should I be looking to nair? What exactly are its basic applications?

I've been watching Zero's videos of Falcon (since he's the reigning best player in the world and a big advocate of Falcon in general) and I was just wondering if Falcon mains think of his "a billion up-airs" approach?

Last edited:

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Watching top Falcons I see them land nairs all the time, but I don't often connect with it in my gameplay. When/where should I be looking to nair? What exactly are its basic applications?

I've been watching Zero's videos of Falcon (since he's the reigning best player in the world and a big advocate of Falcon in general) and I was just wondering if Falcon mains think of his "a billion up-airs" approach?
Nair is a great spacing tool, and can also be used to keep an opponent in hitstun if you're trying to combo.

It's mainly for spacing, though.

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
Expanding on the spacing bit.

What makes Nair good in this situation is that it autocancels out of SH, hits twice so it covers for a good time, and it tends to send people flying horizontally which lets you chase in a very good position (with them close to the ground). It is good for preemptively stuffing aerial approaches from chars with short range, safeish, and also helps pressure tall characters.

I'd avoid using it for landing air-to-ground, because even at max range it can be punished by the faster characters, and although it links into jab on hit, it's better to Uair because that has better follows ups, is 3 frames safer, and has slightly longer reach.

wingedwill

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time fighting against Captain Falcon. Can I get any tips in regards to beating the crusade warrior of justice?

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Any advice on the Rosalina matchup? Lost pretty bad to one at a local and got myself knocked out of the tournament.

Biggest issues are having zero aerial priority unless I'm below her and using uair, and being unable to space. Nair and dtilt are the biggest spacing options. Dtilt was beaten by just about everything, especially her dash attack, which went right through it and hit me.

Nair was frequently met with either a shield and counterattack or shield into grab, or with one of her aerials with greater range.

Grabs for some reason seemed more difficult to land on her, as if her grab box was smaller than most other characters.

Despite her being one of the lightest characters, uair still didn't kill off of the top from top platform until like 130%. In the meanwhile, she was using her aerial mobility and Falcon's weight to literally juggle me off of the top of the screen on Town and City, which I understand already has a low ceiling. DI didn't do much since her uair basically covered where I could DI to.

On top of all this, her aerial mobility trumps Falcon's recovery.

And then there's Luma, the thing that eats everything thrown at Luma. Grab? No, punched in the face or stopped by Luma. Jab combo? No, Luma is punching you faster. Recovering? Luma.

How the **** am I supposed to win this MU?

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Hello there, since i got to play for first time SSB4 falcon it had become a main, i really like his air game and speed, but ultimately i'm having some problems with some matchups, these are generally characters that depend on projectiles to use well (link & toon, ness, zelda,etc), but specially with sonic, the main trouble are his specials, the spin dash, i cant find a way to cancel it without sonic having zero endlag and escaping, also after the dash he unleashes many attacks (if he hits you with the dash is generally uair,upspecial & uair, and if not its generally upspecial, dair and then he starts charging dash again or fleeing) making him hard to get in the air, also his recovery makes him very difficult to edgeguard and i constantly get annoyed by his d-throw , any advice here?

PD: First post :D

Last edited:

BATMN

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pigcookies
3DS FC
1392-5020-4546
Any advice on the Rosalina matchup? Lost pretty bad to one at a local and got myself knocked out of the tournament.

Biggest issues are having zero aerial priority unless I'm below her and using uair, and being unable to space. Nair and dtilt are the biggest spacing options. Dtilt was beaten by just about everything, especially her dash attack, which went right through it and hit me.

Nair was frequently met with either a shield and counterattack or shield into grab, or with one of her aerials with greater range.

Grabs for some reason seemed more difficult to land on her, as if her grab box was smaller than most other characters.

Despite her being one of the lightest characters, uair still didn't kill off of the top from top platform until like 130%. In the meanwhile, she was using her aerial mobility and Falcon's weight to literally juggle me off of the top of the screen on Town and City, which I understand already has a low ceiling. DI didn't do much since her uair basically covered where I could DI to.

On top of all this, her aerial mobility trumps Falcon's recovery.

And then there's Luma, the thing that eats everything thrown at Luma. Grab? No, punched in the face or stopped by Luma. Jab combo? No, Luma is punching you faster. Recovering? Luma.

How the **** am I supposed to win this MU?
The strategy for rosalina is to get rid of the star as fast as you can, so keep that in mind. The best advice I can give you is to be more patient. If approaching isn't working, then wait for them to make a mistake and punish them. If you have to approach, I would focus on getting rid of the star, then go for the grabs and jab combos.
Hope this helps!

KoiWhite

Smash Rookie
any advice for getting out of combos of characters like luigi and mario? Does it make a difference if I continuously mash my upstick away, or is it the same if I just hold the stick to the direction I want to DI away from. Also, does the C-stick really add anything to the DI?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Can someone please explain to me if there is any niche benefit to Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch #3 (I think?) for customs? The one that says it leaves him vulnerable but is more powerful? Because from my testing it does 3% less damage and kills at higher % than the normal one.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Can someone please explain to me if there is any niche benefit to Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch #3 (I think?) for customs? The one that says it leaves him vulnerable but is more powerful? Because from my testing it does 3% less damage and kills at higher % than the normal one.
I honestly don't see the benefit to any of his customs. After messing with all of them, vanilla moves still seem like his best.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I honestly don't see the benefit to any of his customs. After messing with all of them, vanilla moves still seem like his best.
Nah, his one Falcon Punch should be taken all the time from what I saw. It has the benefit of going farther, but still KO's the same up close the way it normally would, so it's more likely to catch an opponent and can cross up on shield.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Nah, his one Falcon Punch should be taken all the time from what I saw. It has the benefit of going farther, but still KO's the same up close the way it normally would, so it's more likely to catch an opponent and can cross up on shield.
From what I've seen, it'll catch people who aren't aware of what customs you're using. Once people understand the possibilities, they're much less likely to fall for it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
From what I've seen, it'll catch people who aren't aware of what customs you're using. Once people understand the possibilities, they're much less likely to fall for it.
I'm not saying it's a competitively good move, just that there's no reason to not use it over the default.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Actually, if you're the absolute closest you can be to your target, the Falcon Dash Punch is still a weaker KO move than vanilla. The decay on the knockback is pretty horrendous, so if you actually use the boost you're just going to be doing damage. It's worth keeping vanilla FP just for style points.

Top Bottom