• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Matchup #15 - Luigi

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Match-Up Thread #15
Luigi

In this thread, post any contribution you have regarding the Luigi matchup.

Keep these in mind when posting:
- What do we have against him?
- What to watch out for?
- Certain do's & don'ts
- Any additional information or data necessary.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i'll just say right off the bat that i lose to falcos sometimes, but i'll try to help anyway.
if all he's doing is running around and shielding at the beginning of the stock looking for the grab, then if you feel confident that you will land the grab when you try it and he's not spot dodging too much, do it. then if he's in said mindset, he will almost surely air dodge after you dthrow, so you can get another grab. then you can do w/e mixups and stuff.

if you're not confident you can get the grab and he's spotdodging too much, utilts are your friend. usually after he gets that chaingrab to spike, he changes, so read his playstyle.

if he's zooming back and forth and lasering, crawl, nado, and roll utilt. if he's basing the playstyle on random air moves, you can shield or spotdodge and just trade some random hits (or maybe something else since I'm not good against this playstyle).

as for the kill game, you can always spot dodge him when he runs up for an upsmash and upb him. as for the fsmash, just be patient and don't always try to punish it.

to punish the phantasm, the green missile ALWAYS hits him out of it as long as he's not above you. the nair is good too, as long as you're a bit above him and he can't hit your upper body.

get some other input on this because i'm not particularly good at this mu.
just in case we do Falco, this will help anyone.

It is really the matchup of great jabs, in this matchup, expect jabs and large grab/aerial combos.

I have possibly the most experience vs Falco of anyone here except for BigLou since I think Kismet still uses Falco mostly.

Outside of facing Metaknights, the majority of characters I play vs are Falco's, I have faced all of the top Falco's in NJ outside of possibly Atomsk's Falco.

Luigi+ (overall)
IF Luigi can get in close, Luigi can kill VERY easily
Up tilt is great for combos.
Falco's side b is out prioritized by most of Luigi's moves preventing him from Phantasm camping
Luigi can crawl beneath lasers.
Luigi's n-air can out prioritize non grab combos.
If Falco does not know how to chain grab perfectly, Luigi can get out of it.
Luigi has an overall better recovery, just don't down b too highly, save it.
Better Aerials overall
Jab combos help.
Back air/down air helps a lot.
Pick Yoshi's or BF, followed by PS1/LC.

Falco + (overall)
Better on low platform stages and overall not bad on BF either due to camping abilities
Falco's jab is Dumb, almost if not more dumb than Luigi's.
If Luigi is grabbed, expect 60 damage.
Lasers are annoying regardless, especially Laser to boosted up smash for kill.
Falco can back air our non-charged side b and down air both other recoveires
DACUS is a pain
Boosted up smash is great vs Luigi
Back air helps well vs Luigi.
Down b prevents fireball camping
FD, SV, and any flat stages is easily 60-40 and 65-35 possibly for Falco due to his camping ability.

Falco is a really annoying matchup for Luigi, DACUS moves luigi far away to prevent punishing, down air chain grabs work and so does down throw to down air.

if you get grabbed in other words vs. a Good falco, expect 60 damage or possibly more with reads.

Back air Falco's recovery, down b or back air Falco's side b (Down b is GREAT in this matchup is it prevents Falco from Side b camping).
I couldn't have said it better, this is exactly what I think of the matchup. I think falco wins it 6/4 at worst, depending on the stage.

You can't jab grab falco or do any jab combos to him 100 percent since he is a fast faller and has a frame 2 jab
This is all the info the Luigi's have for falco.

I guess if I had to contribute to this it would be that Luigi can only do up b on Falco with a jab to up b only if
1. the falco player isn't paying attention
2. Luigi didn't let falco get rid of his RCO from side b or up b
3. you SDI into us
So we basically have to sneak it in. I hope this info helps.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
This match up is annoying. Don't over commit to strings for Luigi can break them at low percents and start combos.

That's all I got.

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Conversely, Luigi can string you along all he likes. Be careful with your air dodge as I've been UpB'd out of trying to psychic dodge aerials, or Utilt/smash.

Taking words from BigLou (who needs to go to tournaments in the summer), Luigi wins when people approach him. NO ONE should approach Luigi and he'll stop winning matches. Seriously, camp->camp->camp->camp->space tilts/jabs->reset->camp->camp->Bair/Usmash/timeout.

Top Bottom