• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco is Too good against Yoshi

EggZavier

Smash Rookie
Ok I know Yoshi has a chain against Falco but his lasers, approach, and aerials are
really good against Yoshi. Help or Discuss.

pirate087

Smash Rookie
I find that Uair has a lot of priority and if done right you can do a rising triple Uair to keep him controlled.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
You can beat falco's by abusing the CG throughout the match and using a lot of Nairs and Bairs and Uairs.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
To begin with, Falco forces you to approach from the air with his lasers. Secondly, he doesn't let you approach from in front because of his reflector. So basically you have to approach from above, which is something no Yoshi likes to do. Dair is probably your best bet, but do remember that nair has a pretty basic hitbox beneath it as well. Once you actually land a hit, you'll be able to land quite a few more, since Flacko is pretty easily comboed.
A few other notes: You beat him in every direction but above him in the air, and your tilts pretty much outrange him on the ground. Like I said, it's getting him out of campville that's the real problem. From then on, it should be smooth sailing.

pirate087

Smash Rookie
I agree kiwi but I think that Dair is too weak, it is easily punishable because it doesnt have a kickback if you manage to hit him with every kick. I find Bair much more effective

SOVAman

Smash Hero
To begin with, Falco forces you to approach from the air with his lasers. Secondly, he doesn't let you approach from in front because of his reflector. So basically you have to approach from above, which is something no Yoshi likes to do. Dair is probably your best bet, but do remember that nair has a pretty basic hitbox beneath it as well. Once you actually land a hit, you'll be able to land quite a few more, since Flacko is pretty easily comboed.
A few other notes: You beat him in every direction but above him in the air, and your tilts pretty much outrange him on the ground. Like I said, it's getting him out of campville that's the real problem. From then on, it should be smooth sailing.
Dair is not the best bet because it has punishable end lag and it can't be comboed in to other moves easily. Your best bet is to approach with Bairs and KO with a edge guard or a Uair.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Dair is not the best bet because it has punishable end lag and it can't be comboed in to other moves easily. Your best bet is to approach with Bairs and KO with a edge guard or a Uair.
No, see, what I was saying is that you CAN'T approach with bair. He'll just reflect you out of it. That goes for nair and any ground approaches as well. So downB and dair are your only options (maybe a falling fair if you want to go that way), and dair is the better of those two.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Falco's Shine isn't that effective, it is easy to shield, and yoshi doesn't have THAT much lag out of shield so you can either grab him or nair him probably. Also, if they aren't standing on the ground and lasering, you can crawl under it, which can lead to some interesting mindgames.

Sharky

Smash Master
No, see, what I was saying is that you CAN'T approach with bair. He'll just reflect you out of it. That goes for nair and any ground approaches as well. So downB and dair are your only options (maybe a falling fair if you want to go that way), and dair is the better of those two.

Not if the bair is landed behind falco =)

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
well if you ask me... i say that falco is to good in general...

he is like the melee version of fox with a retractable shield and a heavy damage blaster...

not to mention his grab combos can possibly be infinite to heavyweight chars (90% by grabbing opponent throwing him directly bellow me and repeat...)

he still also has that halospeed thing...

but heres a trick....

none of his attacks truly focus on things from above.

but when you do approach him watch his grab!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Even though Yoshi is a Heavy Character, he doesn't have the same properties as one. Yoshi can break out of his CG at 40% with a Nair. I thought many Falco users this valuable lesson ;)

And I don't think you can crawl under them lasers with Yoshi

Gindler

Smash Champion
Isn't Falco easy to edgeguard? That's how I usually finish them, or the all mighty Uair since he's so light.

And once I get to over 140 against a falco I'll just take the lasers to kinda taunt him (works well in tournies because the people watching start to laugh so that's fun =P)

All in all I don't really have trouble with falcos just have to be really really agressive so he can't use his lasers. and try to keep your eye open for that reflector animation so you have dodge and punish accordingly.

yoshihybrid

Smash Rookie
Best thing you can do in this match is make him not wanna use the reflector, but it requires reflexes of steel. Your looking to do one of two things, and the more the better, as he'll maybe start to catch on. You can VERY shot hop and airdodge his reflect and land into an upsmash or upair very quickly, or you can go slightly higher and go for a n-air or b-air. Once he realizes that you have 4 different methods of punishing the reflector, you can really start to maul him when he lets up on it.

The lazer's aren't too bad, just remember that your eggs out damage them 12 to 6. You can shot hop, throw and egg, eat a lazer, and have him try and reflect it. If he hits it, your not any worse. If he misses, he might eat 12 damage. Either way, you can close the distance a pretty good bit this way if you able to land and run almost immidiately after you finish your up+b. Best case scenario is he misses the reflect, and your at mid range, because against even a very slightly hesitant falco, you might be able to get in close enough to start your chaingrab. Just make sure to spit him up or down when you know he'll escape, he doesn't have a reliable answer to your uair.

Top Bottom