• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco falco falco!!!

j3ly

Smash Champion
im playing my mate deathgazer 2mo all day, and i want to **** him with a new character :D

i will be concentrating only on yoshi (i tend to give a whole day/2 days to chars i want good on a casual level), and need the BASIC essentials of the matchup.

ive learned the properties of uair, utilt and ftilt, and when to apply them.
ive learned egg cancelling in both forms.
ive made up some FUNKY platform combos on battlefield (his CP) which include uair->isai drop->uair (his di is way too good for that but meh i finally learned to isai drop)
ive learned how to uair juggle
ive learned the properties of his jumps.

Now, in my view there are 3 stages of learning something.
1 - understanding it to the point you COULD perform it with practise
2 - bein able to use on a CPU/friendlies
3 - being able to consistently perform under pressure.

I intend to get all of my yoshi techniques to level 3 tomo.

But i would really really appreciate some knowledge on the matchup!
I am concerned about lasers, and ofc bair - cos falco can bair anyone any time of day. its just not a problem for him!

so yes, matchup knowledge please :)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sounds like you have lots of the offensive stuff down.

For the defensive side, I recommend learning how to crouch powershield lasers. Wavedashing out of crouch powershield (or regular powershield or supershield) is a great way to close some distance and still be safe.

Crouch cancel isn't super amazing in this matchup, but learn to spot when you can CC into a down tilt for early gimp KOs and general space creation.

Finally, learn to DI the shine. Learning how to pull an angle off of that DI gets you out of lots of low percent combos.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
why would you pick yoshi as your new character to battle a falco? xD

jk aside, be prepared to get ***** up and down, it takes a long while before you can do stuff to falco's.
jab reset stuff from fair/utilt to juggling is really good against spacies. also try to follow his rolls with dashgrab to downthrow. also since its falco gimp every chance you ge, dtilt is a great tool for that (in general discussion I just wrote some stuff on edgeguarding spacies).

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol, just cause. i like the properties of his jump!
and how all of his aerials autocancel. if you can hit somebody with a late nair, no lagg and str8 into a combo. beautiful!

i main falco/mario, but its just no fun with them anymore. ive rune train on everybody so hard with my new falco i want a challenge for a month until the tournament.

prolly digging myself my own grave...
but i like ****** people with IC's in pools (FFers only) and i think yoshi would be a gr8 addition to me obtaining noob fans through ****** people they thought were good with a low tier.

but i dont think that they actually understand the mechanics of a tier list.. regardless! thanks for the info. ill actually edit this post with my thoughts on the matchup when i get home tonight. hopefully i am able to purchase some **** sauce, in a figurative manner.

ps, whats the difference in down angled ftilt/up/neutral? isit just the area that he hitbox covers?

i lookforward to edgeguarding falco with DAFT -> nair/egg for jokes.

should be able to get some vids online tonight aswell with a little commentary... i dont think that i will win too many, and we only really ever record the first 4/5 sets.

tune back into this thread for matches of my yoshi vs deathgazers n unreals falco :D

ps. i am not inbred, my keyboad is just very messed up :s so sorry for the content.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
lol i like this guy. As far as the match up goes. like they said you want to gimp falco as early as possible. You also want to stay close up on him. Be able to punish predictable lasers. If you can avoid his shield pressure, lasers, and grab then you'll be fine. This is a hard match up but not as bad vs fox. Good luck to ya.

j3ly

Smash Champion
got ***** and switched to IC's! lol

there just comes a point in the night.. youve been hitting falco on falco for 8 hours now, somebodys gonna get smash fatigue

and it was me, so IC's are the way to go in that situation. however im on on my way to go and play my scrub friends, so i can **** a little falcon for a while :)

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Haha ... yeah ...
Yoshi's not really one of those 'a day or two to learn' characters.
Sure, you get the basics more or less down, but yoshi's mechanics are radically different,
and his tech requirements are a bit on the high side.

Still, good luck.
Hope ya get him to where he's at least fun to play against those higher-up characters.

Top Bottom