• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Falco Dair Cancel

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx
WHOA. Didn't expect to see something like this. This is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing man! Will start practicing this now!

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Quick question.
Does this tech only work if you hit the opponent with it?
This is a great find though.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Ok, can't wait to test this out great find.
I see this working most off the dthrow or maybe the fthrow at low percent.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh, this is some sick stuff. Incredible find, Izaw!

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Thanks for the find and well done video. Falco's competitiveness gets better in my eyes each day.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
This is absolutely a great punish for people who are below you and are open for an attack. Falco doesn't have a move to deal with people below him that are on stage besides the last hit of the fair and sometimes the nair, so this is a much better alternative.

Be warned at higher percents the dair can be teched, so against good opponents wait for the roll (if they tech it) and forward smash em if they have hardly any room to roll too.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
How do you do the running jump cancel Up smash???

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
I'm so confused and I can't seem to get the timing right.
Do you have to keep hitting Diddy in that same spot THEN FF?
That's so fast.
In the last hour I only got it once. ):

Izaw

Smash Ace
I practiced it for 3 hours and started getting it 5/10 times

Also, apparently all characters can do this, its just the more hitlag an attack has, the more it cancels or something (not sure yet), but you still need to hit the first frame and then land right after i think

Last edited:

HappyDad

Smash Rookie
Awesome discovery Izaw. Your videos are always great too. I'm having some trouble with this tech though, and I'm not sure where I'm making my mistake. How long into my short hop should I be waiting before inputting the dair? and should I be fast falling only AFTER it connects with my opponent? or right AS is connects? I just can't seem to get it to cancel.

Thanks

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Oh boy, double dips, Ganon fair tech chases, falcon dair tech chases, etc. we gettin hype

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I practiced it for 3 hours and started getting it 5/10 times

Also, apparently all characters can do this, its just the more hitlag an attack has, the more it cancels or something (not sure yet), but you still need to hit the first frame and then land right after i think
Wait so it's still not normal landing lag? I believe you said that in the video. Also, this still only applies to FF Dairs right?

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Wait so it's still not normal landing lag? I believe you said that in the video. Also, this still only applies to FF Dairs right?
You have to FF it to get it on the frame that Falco lands and the hitbox comes out at the same time, and that hitbox has to connect with your opponent at that same moment.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Awesome discovery Izaw. Your videos are always great too. I'm having some trouble with this tech though, and I'm not sure where I'm making my mistake. How long into my short hop should I be waiting before inputting the dair? and should I be fast falling only AFTER it connects with my opponent? or right AS is connects? I just can't seem to get it to cancel.

Thanks
In the video he says you need to FF AFTER the first frame hits, and I was trying that for hours but I realized that if you FF WHILE doing the dair you'll hit your target and get the cancel.

dizney

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdizney
Ok so I've been having trouble doing this consistently, and I wanted others opinions on a combo/string that seems to be working. People had been talking about how setting up the dair cancel would be too difficult, so I think I found a way to set it up.

Down Throw - Dair [cancel] - f-tilt [down, not middle or up] - jump into dair cancel

From there it can set up more, such as down tilt, grab, dash attack etc. The important part of it is the forward tilt, because this can lock the opponent into a neutral get up.

JustDan

Smash Cadet
NNID
JustDan10
3DS FC
0962-9892-9891
Wow. Awesome find. This could possibly be used to punish rolls too. Will take much practice though

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I never got the chance to check the competitive thread for this but what if the first FF frame of any aerial can do this? Or what if it's the first FF frame of any SPIKE? I think the latter is more likely than it being a Dair, because the game engine really shouldn't care if the input is dair, spikes make more sense.

JustDan

Smash Cadet
NNID
JustDan10
3DS FC
0962-9892-9891
I never got the chance to check the competitive thread for this but what if the first FF frame of any aerial can do this? Or what if it's the first FF frame of any SPIKE? I think the latter is more likely than it being a Dair, because the game engine really shouldn't care if the input is dair, spikes make more sense.
I don't think it has to be a spike because Bowser Jr. can also cancel his Dair under the same conditions.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
I finally played Falco again today after officially abandoning him for Megaman a couple months ago. This tech reminded me why I loved him so much. Great find, but it can be tricky to pull off against a defensive opponent. However, I think this is something he needed to help his kit.

Izaw

Smash Ace
I simply short hop, dair with a certain timing, FF twice, kinda like a double FF input, before and after it hits

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
Mmm, I have issues with this. But I have issues perfect pivoting anything for ftilts at normal speed (without setting c-stick to tilts).

If I slow down, I can pivot jab, but getting much else like d-smash is aggravating. I just lack the tech skill. :D

diglett

Smash Rookie
Hypothetically speaking, if you could pull off lagless dairs 100%, how would you go about using it? Does it turn into an approach option? Or is it strictly for extending combos?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Punishes and setting up another Dair from the ledge to the blast zone. Ganondorf can combo frame canceled Dairs and his "combos" can just be Dair + another move like Up Smash which does a total of 43% if I remember right. It's not going to be an approach, but it's one hell of a punish since Falco's Dair does 13% and with a jump canceled Up Smash that if fully connects does 16% which means 29% with two moves.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Punishes and setting up another Dair from the ledge to the blast zone. Ganondorf can combo frame canceled Dairs and his "combos" can just be Dair + another move like Up Smash which does a total of 43% if I remember right. It's not going to be an approach, but it's one hell of a punish since Falco's Dair does 13% and with a jump canceled Up Smash that if fully connects does 16% which means 29% with two moves.
Ganon has them? That's sick! So Falcon too right? Where is there a list of every character that can do it?

OtterDragon

Smash Rookie
I watched Izaw's video on Falco's Dair cancel, and have been trying to do it in practice mode at 1/4th speed for about a half hour now, but I can't seem to get it, the hit just never connects. I even hear Falco do his "Hyeh" before I hit the ground, and I see the shine from the hit coming out, but no matter how I time it, it just doesn't connect, unless I connect well above the ground, in which case, I have the 11 frames of landing lag when I hit the ground.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.. I've tried Short hop > Fast fall at the peak and immedietly Dair, then tap down again. Also tried Short hop, Dair, wait till it connects then fast fall, but this doesn't work either. Can someone please explain the timing in depth? Thank you in advance!

P.S. While typing this out, I tried it at normal speed, it got it to work 1 out of 10 attempts, but I still can't get it to work at 1/4th speed

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I watched Izaw's video on Falco's Dair cancel, and have been trying to do it in practice mode at 1/4th speed for about a half hour now, but I can't seem to get it, the hit just never connects. I even hear Falco do his "Hyeh" before I hit the ground, and I see the shine from the hit coming out, but no matter how I time it, it just doesn't connect, unless I connect well above the ground, in which case, I have the 11 frames of landing lag when I hit the ground.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.. I've tried Short hop > Fast fall at the peak and immedietly Dair, then tap down again. Also tried Short hop, Dair, wait till it connects then fast fall, but this doesn't work either. Can someone please explain the timing in depth? Thank you in advance!

P.S. While typing this out, I tried it at normal speed, it got it to work 1 out of 10 attempts, but I still can't get it to work at 1/4th speed
I merged your thread with Izaw's thread on Falco's Dair cancel. First thing of note: please try to search for whatever your topic is with the search bar and try asking here in the general discussion and Q&A thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/, instead of making a thread specifically to ask for something. If there is completely no information about something, so a new, but perhaps undocumented discovery, then sure, make a thread, but for questions, please try and search for a topic related to it and if there isn't one, then ask in the general discussion and Q&A thread.

Second thing of note: Falco's Dair has 23 landing frames not 11. The closest Falco's Dair had to 11 landing frames was in Brawl where it was 12 and in Melee where L-canceled Dair had 9. I can't explain the timing, but a more in-depth study on it is here on Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-syncing.434603/, to help you understand how it works. The researchers decided to call it frame syncing instead of frame canceling since you're not canceling anything... The Smash community has a weird fixation on calling a lot of stuff cancels when they're not like jab cancels... You're not actually canceling anything; you're just not going into the next part of a jab. If there was a cancel, the recovery would not exist and you would be able to immediately move into another move like in Brawl where Falco could cancel dash attack into Up Smash or in Smash 4 where Ryu could cancel jab, light Utilt, and light Dtilt into any of his Specials. Anyway, I digress. I'd like to summarize it, but I feel lazy. :p

OtterDragon

Smash Rookie
I merged your thread with Izaw's thread on Falco's Dair cancel. First thing of note: please try to search for whatever your topic is with the search bar and try asking here in the general discussion and Q&A thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/, instead of making a thread specifically to ask for something. If there is completely no information about something, so a new, but perhaps undocumented discovery, then sure, make a thread, but for questions, please try and search for a topic related to it and if there isn't one, then ask in the general discussion and Q&A thread.

Second thing of note: Falco's Dair has 23 landing frames not 11. The closest Falco's Dair had to 11 landing frames was in Brawl where it was 12 and in Melee where L-canceled Dair had 9. I can't explain the timing, but a more in-depth study on it is here on Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-syncing.434603/, to help you understand how it works. The researchers decided to call it frame syncing instead of frame canceling since you're not canceling anything... The Smash community has a weird fixation on calling a lot of stuff cancels when they're not like jab cancels... You're not actually canceling anything; you're just not going into the next part of a jab. If there was a cancel, the recovery would not exist and you would be able to immediately move into another move like in Brawl where Falco could cancel dash attack into Up Smash or in Smash 4 where Ryu could cancel jab, light Utilt, and light Dtilt into any of his Specials. Anyway, I digress. I'd like to summarize it, but I feel lazy. :p

In the video, Izaw says "(if) Falco jumps and does a normal down air, he will land with 11 frames of landing lag before you can do another attack..." Did I misunderstand something here?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
In the video, Izaw says "(if) Falco jumps and does a normal down air, he will land with 11 frames of landing lag before you can do another attack..." Did I misunderstand something here?
Do you mean here: https://youtu.be/spHWz-9F7cQ?t=17? Izaw, what on Earth are you talking about? I am not tagging him because the video is old, but maybe I should since it's misinformation. Falco's Dair has 23 landing frames; I have no idea where and how Izaw decided it had 11 frames. The only thing I can think of is that he took hit stun into account which you shouldn't since that's not landing lag; that's on-hit advantage. If Falco's Dair had 11 landing frames, it would be godplayer compared to its current 23 frames even with its 16 frame startup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom