• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fairly new player, I have some questions! (or just want tips)

Anymoose

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I've played smash bros for years like most people, but didn't start really trying to take it any seriously until this year with my roommate who also really likes it. We got Project M about a month ago and have been playing every day since, so I've been starting to try and actually get better :) Thus, I've decided to learn Squirtle

I've watched a few videos and tried to make a list of things to practice, but one thing I thought of this morning is using side-B to knock a weakened opponent off the stage, then land back on the stage, turn around, and wavedash backwards to ledge-deny. This seemed way too slow (possibly because I'm still learning) so I tried instead to side-B opponent off the stage, down-B in the opposite direction to change the direction I face in mid air, then jump and grab the ledge, but I'm really really bad with diagonals and keep hitting side-B and suiciding -.-
So is there a way to side-B the opponent off stage then grab the ledge, and if so, what's the most optimal?

Also, can anyone explain in detail how to shell shift and keep the momentum while charging an up-smash? I can't figure that out

Here's the list I compiled for things to practice. If something's missing, feel free to mention it :)
wall grab/jump
side-B cancel quickly
facing opposite direction after finishing up-b
Hydroplane (c-stick after shell shift)
jump at beginning/end of shell shift
shell-shift but keep momentum and up-smash (with or without reversal of direction)
wavedashing forward and backwards (and using backwards to grab ledges)
side-b into up-air (and other small combos)
jump off the edge, side-b towards the edge, then a out of it to grab and ledge deny

Thanks for the help!!

Mumble

Smash Apprentice
When you get someone off stage with anything (whether it be side-b, any throws, aerials, etc) what you do from there is entirely situational to be honest. I think a majority of it comes from sheer experience, and just gauging whether or not the option you pick to edgeguard someone is the best one.

A lot of it comes from which character you're playing against too. For example, Fox and Falco's recoveries are pretty easy to gimp just due to the fact that Bubble shuts down any Side-B option they take, and Squirtle's neutral air is durable enough to trade with each of their Up-Bs.

For helpful videos, I highly suggest these as they helped me a ton when I first started!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
as far as that ledge deny you mentioned, my approach to that is to shellsling off the edge of the stage as the opponent recovers towards the stage, squirtle will turn as he shellslings and will be facing the ledge, when the opponent is below him, and also between him and the ledge, you can bubble, pushing them underneath the lip of the stage so they have to go for a vertical recovery. After they are pushed under the ledge, a quick burst of withdraw to the edge for the ledgehog. Boom, gimped.

Top Bottom