• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair enough: A G&W vs Sheik combo list

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
So apparently Sheik is pretty good in this game. Some people don't know what to do against her. But this isn't matter of this topic. I wondered, if we ever get an opening, what exactly we can do against Sheik to give her the hardest time possible. So I hid 3 days in the lab and thus, I present:
A list of combos G&W has against Sheik that I found. That said, If you know of any other sheik combos (which could be more viable than the ones below or completely new) then please share them so we G&W's can have this list as full as possible.

Version: Patch 1.1.5 (after the sheik weight change)

0%: upsmash uptilt nair nair/fair (upB) = ca. 60% (you may want to try this combo if you get an aerial read, it might work for more than 0%. preferably fair. If you don’t get the up smash close enough, uptilt will not connect. Safer alternative: upsmash chair = 26% or upsmash footstool dair = 30%)

(Same combo as above, just shorter) 0%: upsmash uptilt nair upB = 53% (without the inconsistant upair, still worth it.)

(Same combo as above) 0%: upsmash uptilt nair sideB (the style combo obviously, 9 does connect, deals 75% over all and kills guaranteed)

ca. 0%: Landing bair double jump sideB (obviously for style too, if you challenge your luck. Not really reliable. If you actually want something viable out of landing bair then you can dash on the ground and connect an up B then)

ca. 0%: Upthrow nair = 26% (The new weight ruined the Darth Throw :( upthrow upair doesn't combo anymore, but upthrow nair still does.

16%: dthrow uptilt nair nair = 48% (upair isn't possible anymore, but double nair does the job as well. Don't expect the second nair to connect always though, DIing away can make this hard to near impossible.)

16-24%: dthrow uptilt nair upB = 41% (sometimes the first hit of nair won’t connect, but its still true. 7 hits for 36%)

25-29%: dthrow uptilt upB = 24% (from here you can't get in another nair. new weight killed that option. :( )

34-38%: dthrow sideB (WHY DOES THIS WORK AND WHY DO WE POSSIBLY HAVE GUARANTEED 9S HERE (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are true, 1 and 5 not))

39-53% dthrow bair bair (can cause some good edgeguards at low%, can cause death from 49%. Stressing out the CAN, since the input for this one is pretty hard if you want to get the kill. You really need to turn around on-spot and bair.)

39-80% dthrow nair upB = 27% (bnb, but still mentionable. Also, from about 64%, the first hit of nair won't hit if you directly hop in with a nair. Delay it a bit for maximum damage)

0-150% dthrow upB (Yes, I really mention this. Because this kills on the ledge at 145%. Not kidding.)

Toot Toot: 87-108 on FD/Omegas (Suzaku Castle)

Useful string: 25-38%: dthrow footstool dairspike jab rapidjab/regrab = ca. 26% if rapid jab, 18% if regrab (not counting anything after dthrow, but best case: dthrow footstool dairspike jab regrab nair upB = 45%)

Yet another update, this time we lost more than we gained... quite the shame... but whatever. at least she dies earlier.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Wow, these are great! I don't know any specific combos against Sheik, but I do know a very potent on that works on Falcon. Maybe it would be better to make this a general Gdubs combo thread?

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
Wow, these are great! I don't know any specific combos against Sheik, but I do know a very potent on that works on Falcon. Maybe it would be better to make this a general Gdubs combo thread?
Thank you for the feedback, but about your idea... I'd like to stress out that I spent my entire weekend on finding these combos. And I specifically researched Sheik because, well, she's top tier and apparently hard to deal with. (now with these combos known it should be more bearable and easier to deal maximum damage, I mean look at the numbers. 20% minimum to about 60%). I personally wouldn't have the nerves to check through every character in this big roster on my own.
If however a few dedicated G&W mains who would be interested in this project would join my quest and find combos for every single character for max damage, I'd be glad to work with those.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Oh, no, I wasn't asking you to research more combos, I was just suggesting that we could have a general combo thread that we could group-source and a bunch of people could post combos they learn for each character. It would be slower than having people spend hours labbing, but it would be easier to deal with and would be open-source sort of.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Excellent thread! This is very useful metagame information, and I'll be bookmarking it.

It's good to note that these combos work very similar on other characters that fall fast and are light (i.e. Fox, Greninja, etc.).

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
awesome awesome!

other than the ones where you mention sheik DI, are these all #true?

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
awesome awesome!

other than the ones where you mention sheik DI, are these all #true?
Down throw Bair Bair can be the only tricky one. I tested that one so many times, but sometimes it just combo's and sometimes not. I'd only suggest to use that one near the ledge anyways, but going for it definitively doesn't hurt because it can kill if done correctly.

Besides that one, everything should be true. You should watch out for everything after a nair though. Sometimes the opponent gets sent to the left, sometimes to the right. That's problematic for the opponent because he won't know how to DI accordingly, but also for you because you have to guess whether they get sent left or right. I could imagine side B not connecting anymore if the opponent does manage to correctly DI away, but up B should always be in.

Last edited:

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
This combo list has been updated. The new patch which changed sheik's weight really extended/shortened some percent window's.

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
Updated yet again thanks to patch 1.1.5 . I swear to god if they change sheik's weight again I'll throw my chair out of my window.

Top Bottom