• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[failed ambition; please ignore]

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
I saw this thread earlier today, which gave me the idea.

How many of you live in the general area of Columbus, GA and would enjoy a weekly tournament? I was thinking Saturday, but Sunday could work too. I'm still thinking about a time and place, which would depend on how many people plan on participating. Please respond to the thread if you would like to participate!

*edit: Due to the Greatest Melee Tournament Since Brawl Came Out, the first Weekly will be delayed until Saturday, June 14. Also, the entry fee has been raised to $10 to keep the pot size big after venue costs are factored in. I'm trying to pick a location that has venue costs as low as humanly possible, keeping your interests in mind. Thanks for understanding.*

Rules would be as follows:

[Columbus GA Weekly Brawl Tournament]

*Stage Listing*

Neutral (on Random)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Story

Counter-picks (not on Random)
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Great Sea (Pirate Ship)
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

* If a stage is not listed, it is banned.

*Match Rules*

Standard (1v1)
* 3-stock
* 6:00 minutes per round
* Timed-out rounds will be determined first by stock remaining, then by damage.
* If both stock and damage are equal after six minutes, Sudden Death determines winner.
* Best 2/3 rounds wins the match.
* First round's character choice will be double-blind character choice and random stage.
* Second and third round character and stage selection are as follows:
1. previous round's loser picks the stage
2. previous round's winner picks his/her character
3. previous round's loser picks his/her character
* All Items [OFF]

*Tournament Rules*

* Double elimination
* Bring your own controller. Any kind will do, as long as turbo/macro functions are not used.
* Modified control schemes will be acceptable. Just be quick about it.
* Modification of the G-cube triggers (L, R) will be acceptable. Nothing else, though.
* If enough consoles can be procured, friendlies will be allowed during tourney play.
* Spectators may cheer, but may not "coach" or harass either participant in a tourney match. Violators will be asked to settle down, but if the behavior continues and upsets the other tourney participants, they will be asked to leave.

* $10 entry fee for participants
* Cash pot to be distributed among the winners as follows:
- 2 finalists (participate in Winner's and Loser's Finals) each receive 17.5% of the pot
- 1 Vice-Champion (participates in the Grand Finals) will receive 25% of the pot
- 1 Grand Champion (winner of the Grand Finals) will receive 40% of the pot

* Final note - the Grand Finals will be determined by the best 4/7 rounds, not 2/3 rounds.

If even 8 players come, that's $80. Venue fees notwithstanding, Finalists will get $14.00, the Vice Champion will get $20.00, and the Grand Champion will get $32. Of course, everyone will have a good time. :)

I've read the ABC's thread in Tournament Discussion, and though I've never hosted a tournament before, I'd like to give this a go. Please be kind in your feedback. :)

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Come by CSU's Davidson Center on a Friday or Saturday and ask to speak with the Campus Nerd Joe or Gerbil, and we'll see about getting you a CSU room or the ability to use the PNT building if it's possible for either.

And yes, we have PLENTY of people in our area who'd be up for these. :)

On the side, did we meet once before? Your tag is familiar... maybe we met at PNT?

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
@Gerbil: That'd be great! Couple of questions I feel I should ask:

1) I should be able to stop by on either day. Which is more convenient for you, and what time of day?

2) Would it cost anything? $5 entrance fee is purely for winnings distribution, and I'd like to keep it that way. If utilities NEED to be paid, though, I suppose I'll have to work something out that has the least impact on the tourney participants.

3) What hours would the center be open for hosting?

4) Are there any televisions readily available at the center? I know we'll have to provide our own consoles and at least a few TV's, but I'd like to know how many are already there. At the end of the week, I'll begin estimating he resources necessary to run the tourney efficiently based on the projected attendance.

5) How many people would be willing to help staff? I expected a small turnout (hence my estimate of 8 participants), but it sounds like these weeklies are going to be much bigger than that. I only have one friend who will be able to staff regularly, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks for all your help! See you on Friday or Saturday. I'd love to talk with you more about this when we meet.

Jewdo

P.S. I remembered where we met. You were at Get 4 Stocked 2008 and the Gamestop Midnight Launch of Brawl. My Brawl main at the time was Lucas (Peach in Melee).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sweet.

I'd definitely love this, and I'm sure we can make it happen. I have friends that would love to go to this, as well.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
@Gerbil: That'd be great! Couple of questions I feel I should ask:

1) I should be able to stop by on either day. Which is more convenient for you, and what time of day?

2) Would it cost anything? $5 entrance fee is purely for winnings distribution, and I'd like to keep it that way. If utilities NEED to be paid, though, I suppose I'll have to work something out that has the least impact on the tourney participants.

3) What hours would the center be open for hosting?

4) Are there any televisions readily available at the center? I know we'll have to provide our own consoles and at least a few TV's, but I'd like to know how many are already there. At the end of the week, I'll begin estimating he resources necessary to run the tourney efficiently based on the projected attendance.

5) How many people would be willing to help staff? I expected a small turnout (hence my estimate of 8 participants), but it sounds like these weeklies are going to be much bigger than that. I only have one friend who will be able to staff regularly, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks for all your help! See you on Friday or Saturday. I'd love to talk with you more about this when we meet.

Jewdo

P.S. I remembered where we met. You were at Get 4 Stocked 2008 and the Gamestop Midnight Launch of Brawl. My Brawl main at the time was Lucas (Peach in Melee).
-Yes I was at both. I actually am the organizer/founder/host/whatev for the G4S series ;) The midnight launch was tooooo raw. *remembers epic Wendy's*

-You're Will's/Torg's friend if I have it right. :)

-On Friday, around 8 PM would be best. If the time changes, or we don't end up getting together for smash. or if we get together Saturday at a better time, I'll leave a post here. Though I must tell you, at the moment the majority of us are playing Melee (afterall, we have a huge Melee tournament hosted by Prac/Alpha/Ares coming up in a short 2 weeks), though we do often have at least 1 Brawl setup.

-I have no idea how or if utilities will/have to be paid if we can get a CSU room/the PNT building.

-If we manage to get a CSU room, TVs/consoles/setups will have to be provided by everyone else. This includes surge protectors. CSU will lend chairs and tables though (it'd be the same setup sort of thing you saw at G4S5) You could host from noon-midnight with a CSU room.

-If Joe can get the PNT building (I am trying to get ahold of him on AIM to talk about it), I can say there will more than likely be a need to take a cut from the pot to give to the owners for use of their building. However, the plus side to using them is that they have 8 TVs, and we (the players) would only need to bring setups and controllers. They (PNT) just had a Brawl tourny, with 56 entrants lol, so they might be up for weeklies. PNT would more than likely do a 6PM - midnight thing, or a noon-6 thing.

-I can't promise that we can get either one, but it's an idea to try out.

-Also, I recently got told about a Zoosomethin (I dunno what the place is called; @CDE help me remember please :p ) here in Columbus, and you might be able to check out that building and see if you can work something with a manager.

-Hollywood Connections used to host Halo tournaments. You could ask a general manager there about hosting weeklies there, though I don't know if they'd be willing to lend that much space for a cheap price every week. No idea about times.

-Because they're weeklies in Columbus (we've never done weekly smash tournies to my knowledge here), I dunno what the expected average attendance would be. We had Halo weeklies for 3 years straight, and we managed 20 per on average. Smash is a bit better on attendance, I'd say to expect around 30-40 per week at the least just to be safe.

-As for staffing, you can ask Will and he might want to help. Reflex might also be interested, because I don't doubt that he'll probably make it to a vast majority of these lol.

If you have any other questions, one of us (CDE or friends) will more than likely be happy to answer. It's could to know new blood is in Columbus. :)

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I would be interested in this.

I'd travel from Tallahassee, FL some weekends this summer to attend.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
jewdo = that person that doesn't live in WDFN 308?
And Drack = That person who DOES live there .. well, in room 306.

Jewdo and I were roommates there last Fall.
Some other guy and I were roommates there last Spring
Jewdo will probably join me again there this coming Fall.

And you are?

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Update: Because a lot of Smashers are training hard for [this awesome Melee tournament] over the next two weeks, I've decided to hold off the first Columbus Weekly Tournament until the following Saturday, June 14.

In light of that information, how many people would be willing to meet for a *smaller than the aforementioned* Melee tourney this weekend (May 31)? That is, if one doesn't already exist for the same time-frame.

The Melee mini-tourney would be great because Melee players might enjoy a practice session before going for the Big Time on June 7. Also, I'd lose my hosting virginity early, making the weeklies go smoother with the experience gained from it.

If enough players announce their willingness to attend by Wednesday night, I'll work with the Higher Powers to get a place and time. Entry fee will be affordable ($10 as of now, $5 if pot size isn't an issue). As for the rule set, just copy/paste the Singles rules from the link above. A tried and true format will be better than trying to come up with my own. ^ ^

Hope to hear from you soon. Naturally, if there's already a tourney this weekend, I'll withdraw my mini-tourney proposal and post a link to the existing one instead.

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
Update: Because a lot of Smashers are training hard for [this awesome Melee tournament] over the next two weeks, I've decided to hold off the first Columbus WeeklyTournament until the following Saturday, June 14.

In light of that information, how many people would be willing to meet for a *smaller than the aforementioned* Melee tourney this weekend (May 31)? That is, if one doesn't already exist for the same time-frame.

The Melee mini-tourney would be great because Melee players might enjoy a "practice" session before going for the Big Time on June 7. Also, I'd lose my hosting virginity early, making the weeklies go smoother with the experience gained from it.

If enough players announce their willingness to attend by Wednesday night, I'll work with the Higher Powers to get a place and time. As for the rule set, just copy/paste the Singles rules from the link above. A tried and true format will be better than trying to come up with my own. ^ ^

Hope to hear from you soon. Naturally, if there's already a tourney this weekend, I'll withdraw my mini-tourney proposal and post a link the pre-existing one instead.
I am down for a Mini Melee tourney:)
Ill help spread the word

Jx31

Smash Ace
Update: Because a lot of Smashers are training hard for [this awesome Melee tournament] over the next two weeks, I've decided to hold off the first Columbus WeeklyTournament until the following Saturday, June 14.

The Melee mini-tourney would be great because Melee players might enjoy a "practice" session before going for the Big Time on June 7. Also, I'd lose my hosting virginity early, making the weeklies go smoother with the experience gained from it.

If enough players announce their willingness to attend by Wednesday night, I'll work with the Higher Powers to get a place and time. Entry fee will be affordable. As for the rule set, just copy/paste the Singles rules from the link above. A tried and true format will be better than trying to come up with my own. ^ ^

Hope to hear from you soon. Naturally, if there's already a tourney this weekend, I'll withdraw my mini-tourney proposal and post a link the pre-existing one instead.
I show up if a melee mini-tourney happened this weekend.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
CDE will be there in a heartbeat. I'll talk to Joe today and see if we can get somewhere.

@CDE - Do you guys think the lounge area (where we usually smash) would be large enough for a mini-tourny if we brought surge protectors? We may not be able to get a room in the back, 'cause that lady takes like... 2 weeks to process room information >.<

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
CDE will be there in a heartbeat. I'll talk to Joe today and see if we can get somewhere.

@CDE - Do you guys think the lounge area (where we usually smash) would be large enough for a mini-tourny if we brought surge protectors? We may not be able to get a room in the back, 'cause that lady takes like... 2 weeks to process room information >.<
Depends. It'd be a definite yes if the construction area (that's what I'm going to call it) is fixed. I haven't been there in a while, so I wouldn't know.

Either way, I think we could probably manage if it was reserved for us during that time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, I'm going on vacation from the 14th of June to the 28th. If you need me for anything, keep that in mind.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Update: Melee Mini-Tourney has been nixed in favor of a Melee Smash Fest (friendlies, no money involved).

Brawl Weeklies will begin on June 14 as scheduled. Specific time and place still TBD, should be announced by June 6.

Top Bottom