• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F/Dair to double jump made easy

Ace55

Smash Lord
It's not anything I came up with. It's just that in the guide it says:

Blue sHell said:
Know that for the double jump after the SH Dair that it takes very precise timing to excecute a double jump.
I'm guessing sHell means that when you use X/Y to jump, and innitiate your aerial just after you jump, you can still use your double jump but the timing is extreme. I could never jump out of my attack this way.
While trying to get better with Ganon (cutting the lag of his Dair) however I stumbled upon something they called a "forced shorthop" which is basically jumping with the control stick (doesn't have to be a shorthop) and hitting the C-stick either forward, back or down (up inititiates a full jump) while still in the 'jump' moment (still on the ground). It will result in the aerial beginning on the first possible frame of your jump, which allows for more time to get the double jump started.
Thanks to this little trick I can finally use all those flashy combo's sHell was talking about (Dair to Dair is 14 hits Bwahahaha). I hope this isn't really widespread knowledge around here but if it isn't this might just help you get your Wario to do that d@mn double jump.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Heh, I never knew this was considered a technique... I just sorta did it all the time >_>
I'm not saying it's really a technique (although somebody named it). Just something that people who usually use X or Y to jump (like me) probably wouldn't do. And "forced shorthop" seems to be a appropriate name (at least there's no 'cancel' in it) because you are basically 'cancelling' the full jump that you input with the control stick with the C-stick.

3GOD

Smash Ace
This is a good "technique" to know. It works with X/Y to jump as well as long as you hit the C-Stick (or A for Nair) before Wario leaves the ground. It's easy to do this when you claw...

By the way, it doesn't force a short hop either...if you hold the jump button down until the character is airborne, you can get a full jump with an aerial ASAP.

Also, if you have your C-stick set to "Attack," the tactic will also work with Uair, but I find that it's not worth it really to give up C-stick smashes.

The best use obviously is SH Dair to double jump, but it still requires fairly good timing to double jump after the Dair ends.

Ace55

Smash Lord
This is a good "technique" to know. It works with X/Y to jump as well as long as you hit the C-Stick (or A for Nair) before Wario leaves the ground. It's easy to do this when you claw...

By the way, it doesn't force a short hop either...if you hold the jump button down until the character is airborne, you can get a full jump with an aerial ASAP.

Also, if you have your C-stick set to "Attack," the tactic will also work with Uair, but I find that it's not worth it really to give up C-stick smashes.

The best use obviously is SH Dair to double jump, but it still requires fairly good timing to double jump after the Dair ends.
All I know is that if I jump with the control stick and slam c-stick D/F/B I do a short hop but I don't have to do the subtle version (let go before you leave the ground) with the control stick, I just short hop. Probably because you 'cancel' the remaining part of the jump input with the c-stick (just don't get why it doesn't work with Uair, I guess when you press up on the c-stick it's the same as pressing up on the CS but usually you don't see that because an attack also comes out).

And I quess it works the same with the X/Y buttons, but I couldn't do that quick enough with just my thumb. And this really works for me. And it's even possible to neglect the whole timing part of the second jump (though it doesn't really make it easier). If during the Dair you can let the control stick (CS) go back to neutral (not nice when trying to DI the Dair where you want it) you can simply press up on the CS to make Wario jump as soon as he can. Though this elliminates the whole 'timing'part of it, I find it easier to use X/Y for the double jump then to try to let the CS go into neutral while D/Fairing and using tap jump.

stormwarning

Smash Rookie
I do this all the time, but I use the right shoulder button to jump, so I can cancel my fullhop into a shorthop. Hitting with fairs right as you leave the ground or just a frame or so after and then following up with any other aerial works well with this.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Lol, old thread, could still be uselful for newbies I guess. I never stopped using this though, just so easy.

Jumping with R seems like another easy way to do it. But does it really force a shorthop? Or do you still have to shorthop with R?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Let's rename it the Shorthop Wavecancel.

This does help at least with many character's autocancels.

*checks the date* Oh what the-

stormwarning

Smash Rookie
Omg, did not realize thread date at all. Lol. But it is significantly harder to SH with the R button unless you do a forced one. At least on my controller. But it makes it so that I can SH, DI, and F/B/D air at the same time, and esp with Wario, it makes life easier.

Top Bottom