• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

F-Air Strings - A button or C-stick?

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
So one of my mains is sheik, (yes, sheik. Get over it.) and I was curious; is it easier to fast fall and/or string together sheik's f-airs with the a button or c-stick?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
All personal preference. I use C-stick, others just use A (inb4 arikado). Do what is most comfortable and effective for you.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
control stick + A for fair chains, c stick (set for tilts) for spacing.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Out of forward throw I use C-stick for the first fair, and A for the rest. And then basically what ArikadoX said. C-stick for spacing around, A for the strings.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Depends on what percentage and vs whom. The inputs highly differs for me if it's off an F-throw at 0% or after landing with a Fair around 20-30~ish%. Only a few Sheiks from who I've witnessed have clean F-air strings, as in getting 3 inescapable Fairs off an Fthrow if the opponent doesn't DI out (Gets registered as a 4-combo hit in TM)

Stairs

Smash Rookie
It's pretty much entirely preference, I personally use C-Stick for all aerials (besides Nair of course) because that's what feels the most comfortable to me. But you do you, whatever works best for you.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much entirely preference, I personally use C-Stick for all aerials (besides Nair of course) because that's what feels the most comfortable to me. But you do you, whatever works best for you.
It's not really personal preference, because if they DI inwards and end up above you (after a dthrow for instance), catching them with control-stick + A button is not really practical since you're gonna move forward, even if only by a tiny bit. So for the initial fair, it is recommended to be using the C-stick. After that, it's way more comfortable (for me at least) to use the A button.

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
I think A button is easier, and it's what I usually use, but I've done it with c-stick and I think C-stick has some interesting options.

PierceHardwood

Smash Rookie
A for rising SH or rising double jump Fair, C-stick for SHFF Fair or any other aerial after a jump. You need rising aerials since they're harder for your opponet to react to (as opposed to "oh he's jumping my way, I'd better block/dodge/roll"), you need to do FF aerials to autocancel animations and combo with something else (BF, dash rising SH Fair, or dash FH double Fair for example).

My problems with using A: hard to do aerials one way while keeping momentum another way. Retreating Fairs won't retreat as much; SHFF Fair will sometimes become SH Dair, especially online.

My problems with using C-stick: not fast enough to do them rising out of a SH or double jump, since I use Y to jump.

Last edited:

Caedus

Smash Cadet
What's the best way to pull c stick aerials off if I use y for jump? Or do I just need to relearn with L as a jump as well? I've tried it before and had a really hard time short hopping with how springy the trigger is.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
What's the best way to pull c stick aerials off if I use y for jump? Or do I just need to relearn with L as a jump as well? I've tried it before and had a really hard time short hopping with how springy the trigger is.
Because of the way the triggers work, I use Z to jump. You'd have to get used to something else for grab, but it works great if you plan to use the C-stick a lot.

Top Bottom