• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ex's Art - updated 5.19 / vector + digital paintings + rubik's cube design

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Go to the latest post for the updated stuff.

-------------------------------------------

Ex lives~! Well, my account was one of the few that were deleted, so I can't go back and revive and edit my old thread. So yeeeah, time for another one. Hopefully this one'll last. :p

I've been trying to get into the habit of doodling something up daily, or at least once a week so that I can find a style I like and settle down with it and refine it. These pics are usually done in 15-45 min and aren't planned out or anything; just whatever the stylus ends up scribbling out.

#1: 1P Kilik from Soul Calibur

#2: Ashton Anchors from Star Ocean (Blue Sphere or EX, not sure which)

#3: Modern Day Link...?

#4: Samus and an Orichara

So, it's Samus, missing the torso and helmet of her suit for no particular reason (uh, it got damaged? riiight) and an orichara of mine that hails from the Metroid universe.

------------------------------------------------------

So, I think I'm improving at least speed wise. Gonna try and work on funky, dramatic poses (with teh motion blur!!11!) and composition later.

I'll post some in-progress pics later... I think this is enough for one post. :)

The Best Ever

Smash Journeyman
nice

Good work Ex. You know, I always did like your style of art. Keep it up. I like the Star Ocean one for style, the Link one for perspective, and the Metroid for composition. Nice.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Those are very very good. The pencil movements seem precise and unorthodox. You could easily become an animator some day.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Those drawings are so cool, especially the Star Ocean one and the Metroid drawing. The sketcyness is cool. But I don't see how that's Kilik personally. The faces are greaat.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the comments~!

The Best Ever: Hopefully I'll be able to combine all of those elements into one pic eventually... :p

choknater: Thanks! Animator would definitely be a dream job for me. :)

Peaches: It really doesn't resemble Kilik at all? :( It''s supposed to be SC1, 1P Kilik...

Peaches

Smash Lord
Oh whoops, my bad. I assumed it was SC2 Kilik. lol
In that case you did the original great justice.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
A doodle-a-day turned into more... Huzzah.

In-progress, gonna be a gift for someone at the SC.com forums.

And... an actual daily doodle:

Advent Children version Cloud...

Peaches

Smash Lord
Very Nice, OMG he looks so fluid!

YunSung is so very underappreciated, you don't think you could make a sketch of cassie do you?

Once I get time I plan to do a series of that, but I don't have too many ideas for poses. . .

NAturally Ican't wait to see the final image.

Dapenda

Smash Champion
your sketches are crazy good, if u spent alot of time on each pic and made a book, I'd probably buy it

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yunsungs are amazing, the Cloud is beautiful.

If you want a tougher SC2 Character, do Nightmare. He's amazingly hard.

Thinking of a good pose (especially hard for a big guy like him), memorizing every detail, drawing the weapon ahhh. He's a toughie.

You can handle it though. I'll wait for your upcoming stuff.

Keep it up.

Corin

Smash Lord
those sketches are all amazing, and you have the same art style as my friend. Your perspective and proportion are flawless in my eyes. Keep up the amazing work!

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
*kicks thread*

I figured it'd be better to revive this old thread instead of bothering with a new one.

Check it out, 5 min. doodle of Samus --

I'm trying to work on my speed... need to get more confident with strokes and all that. =/

Rwing_Wurm_Champ

Smash Journeyman
Either way it still has form and personality to it.

I draw anime characters myself...but planning on waiting till I take a class on multimedia, y'know just to get into the whole animation thing.
Later keep up the good work, EX.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Random oekaki scribble of one of my original characters, j0 --

I posted this in the banner shop, but it probably should go here...

Incomplete Link reinterpretation shizz --

RWC: Thanks for the comments. :) Animation... I always wanted to go into that field, wonder if I should take some classes too. *ponders*

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman

Yep, Starfox Assault fanart... I think I spent way too much time on miniscule details on this one, ones that probably aren't even visible when I sized it down... ^^;;

EDIT: Put in a larger version w/ some details fixed (like the lack of a tail :p).

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Um, let me try to remember... Some random nonsense like:

"0400 hours
rendezvous
at point
gamma beta"

Why does everyone always want to know what the miniscule, illegible text says? :p

Rwing_Wurm_Champ

Smash Journeyman
Ex
RWC: Thanks for the comments. Animation... I always wanted to go into that field, wonder if I should take some classes too. *ponders*
Man, I hear that the course its like mad expensive, depending on which university you go to. there's one I am dead set at going called
AI (art insitute) . Place is literally competitive...which doesn't scare me much, since its mainly art...unless your planning on heading into the business field like commercial advertising for a billion dollar co.

I'm thinking of taking a course at a local technical skewlz to learn multimedia before I finally make my decision in taking a course in the animation field. Still thinking of just being a comic artist tho.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Ring wurm, which Art Institute? There are like 150 all throughout the US i believe. I am planning on going to Art Institute San Fransisco next semester.

Ex, I love your stuff, the oekaki is really great.

Marthby87

Smash Journeyman
ExMachina: AWESOME stuff man! I really like your SC drawings.

ender: Im thinking about going to the Art Institute San Fran, too. Well I WAS interested but then I found out theyre making one in Sacramento! YAY! ^___^

EDIT: I really should read more carefully. Turns out that an Art Institute is not being built in Sac. =*(

Rwing_Wurm_Champ

Smash Journeyman
The art istitute of florida...but its all the way in Ft.Lauderdale.
I don't know of any others in florida as of this moment.

ender: what course you planning on taking when you get excepted?

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Argh, I think I'm getting worse from lack of practice. O.o Less graphics, more arting... *chants* Well, maybe if I could practice both, that would be ideal.

Quick Tekken 5 fanart scribble...

Pichu Paizano

Smash Journeyman
Dude, that's crazy awesomeness! :eek: 1 note though: It is a spectacularly good representation of Jin, and I know your style is very sleek and all, but he is a lot more buff than that. At least in 5 he is. Totally killer, though. Now, if you could do a kool one of King, I'll be your personal slave for eternity...:D Must be color though, or no deal, k?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
O.o Less graphics, more arting... *chants* Well, maybe if I could practice both, that would be ideal.
Go vector and do both. Just by looking at your StarFox pic it's obvious that you could do some mad vector artwork. Also find local bands and make flyers for them and such. That's what I do, and it makes for good practice in both illustration and graphic design.

Kickass artwork though, it's quite sweet.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really like you art work Do you ever draw in open canvas cuz if you did I would love to get some of you replays

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Pichu: Yeah, I was looking at the ref. pics and definitely noting that my pic was a lot less muscley, but I like them better that way. King, huh? I personally prefer his Chinese looking outfit from T5, if I do draw him he'll be wearing that. And the banner... I'm working on all the requests, I'll get to yours as soon as I can.

MookieRah: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. :) Are there any tutorials/sites on vectoring? And what program should I use? I was thinking of taking up Illustrator, but you do really impressive work in Flash.

Varuna: Most of these drawings are Photoshop, but I could do an OC drawing if you really wanted to see a replay... anything in particular you'd like to see?

Pichu Paizano

Smash Journeyman
Dude, that's definitely the best costume he has! I like the dark blue one more than the orange one myself, but that's just preference. That'd be too sweet man, thanx...:cool:

SuperLink956

Smash Ace
your works are awesome~ your anatomy skills are nice and you've gotten folds down really well...keep it up~ :)

Exovel

Smash Ace
sigh....

amazing....just amazing....your art is so impressive it may be depressing. i wish i had as much talent as you, or any for that matter. anyway, great work...i hope to see more soon

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Exovel: Hey, come on now... I'm sure you have a lot of talent. I'm not naturally much of an artist, I just doodled a lot... and have some expensive equipment that helps make my stuff more impressive. =P

Hey, it's KOTOR fanart!

All done in Photoshop CS in one sitting, around 3 or so hours. There's still some stuff I need to fix... like his whole right side should be in shadow, probably. ^^;; Or I can just claim his Force energy aura = a light source? Heh, oh man... Maybe I'll come back to it and make a poster-ish thing by drawing in other principal characters around him... who knows.

Basically, this is how I envisioned Revan on my first play-through of the game. I just came up with the idea/feel for this pic when thinking of the following quote from KOTOR2...

"Revan was power. Staring into his eyes was like staring into the heart of the Force."

Maq

Smash Journeyman
wow ex that is sick...i cant say anything about lighting being wrong like you were saying since im not that good at art (E average in art 2, junior year O_o) but it still looks great. Good stuffs love the colors ^^. Im still wondering if you are a boy or a girl...its ok if you dont wanna say ¬_¬;;.

Rokutanda

Smash Journeyman
-grovels at Ex's feet-
Wow.......just wow..........
Your art is amazing, truly amazing.
I am with Exovel, I was I could draw like that, or heck even color :crying:
EDIT: I thought you may have been a woman. From all my art oogling, woman seem to draw better than men.

Top Bottom