• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Expectations on Updates on Certain Days

gtkdltk007

Smash Apprentice
Why is it that so many people expect certain things on certain days? So... today was Christmas, so? Honestly, why should Sakurai give a ****? I'm Jewish, and all I got on Hanukkah was The Battle for the Smash Ball and X: Tunnel Scene music. Did I complain? No…. so why do so many people feel that if they don't get a good update on Christmas, something’s wrong? People, you should understand by now, Sakurai does not care! Plus, a majority of people in this world do not celebrate Christmas, i.e. Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. So why should Christmas be special? Or any other day for that matter? Even new years doesn’t work, because half the people in the world have new years on another day, and some countries like China spend it in another month completely.

All of you who keep saying this have just gone too far and have taken this whole Smash blog for granted. All of you should be lucky, nay, grateful for this. And yeah, so we get a rehash of a rehash, or something from E4All. The point is how many other corporations actually do this?

So don’t ***** just because you didn’t get a good update on your birthday. Don’t complain because Christmas’ update sucked, just because it was Christmas. Say it sucked, but not because it was god **** Christmas.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
I think he WAS planning on giving us Sonic's FS and music for Christmas. Seriously, it's the first update we've known about that we've gotten recently. Most of the stuff we've gotten recently is new. So why would Sakurai NOT take advantage of this date?

I laughed like hell when I saw the update.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
personally i was expecting something good on the 24th more likely than 25th (a month before Japan's release).

And nobody can deny the sheer awesomeness of the music that we got on the 25th anyways.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I wish I knew. You'd think people would have learned by now.

It was predicted that Snake would be updated on his creator's birthday. Nope - happened on a day unrelated to his history a couple weeks later.
It was predicted that Ridley or another Metroid update would occur on the day MP3 was released. Nope - Superspicy Curry.
It was predicted that there would be something special for 9/11. Nope - Lyn.
It was predicted that Sonic, if in at all, would be announced on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games' release date. Nope - a month before that.
It was predicted that we'd get something special on Halloween (some folks even expected Ashley then for some reason). Nope - The Summit stage.
And now Christmas comes and people still predict something highly special, and again see that hope dashed with a music update and Sonic's already-known final smash.

Really, I don't see why so many keep thinking Sakurai will correspond an update to a date with some significance to that series/character/etc or do something special for a Holiday. It hasn't happened yet, so it seems almost insane to expect it ever will.

@ NessOnett - Sonic's FS was revealed in the "Sonic Joins the Brawl" video, when he became Super Sonic at the end. Everyone knew what it was, E for All or no.

Zevox

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
I wish I knew. You'd think people would have learned by now.
Don't forget December 3rd, Megaman's Birthday/20th Anniversary, Miyamoto's birthday, Gunpei Yokoi's birthday...

All of them failed hopes, and people are still like "LOL BUT CLEARLY NEW YEARZ WILL FINALLY BE THE ONE DAY THAT IT FINALLY HAPPENS, HURR"

spindash

Smash Ace
Ehehehe... See, the ironic thing, while I applaud you for telling people to stop whining about updates, is that there is a degree of significance to this update. On the concept of Sonic the Hedgehog, that is. Am I going to have to educate everyone with his birth location?

Sonic was born on Christmas Island in the SEGA canon. Angel Island Zone (Angels for that matter) have significance to religious meaning behind Christmas in general, but over all, Sonic was born on Christmas Island. So getting a Sonic update on this day is almost to be expected. I rather enjoyed this update!

For the more dedicated fans, they find significance and meaning in updates such as these on certain dates. It's rather befitting if you ask me.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Christmas isn't even a holiday in Japan.

When I was on student exchange there about four years ago, I went to school. On Christmas day.

LuiStrokes

Smash Journeyman
Ehehehe... See, the ironic thing, while I applaud you for telling people to stop whining about updates, is that there is a degree of significance to this update. On the concept of Sonic the Hedgehog, that is. Am I going to have to educate everyone with his birth location?

Sonic was born on Christmas Island in the SEGA canon. Angel Island Zone (Angels for that matter) have significance to religious meaning behind Christmas in general, but over all, Sonic was born on Christmas Island. So getting a Sonic update on this day is almost to be expected. I rather enjoyed this update!

For the more dedicated fans, they find significance and meaning in updates such as these on certain dates. It's rather befitting if you ask me.
i Didn't knew that O_O

Every day you learn something new

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.

I don't remember where that came from, but I know I've heard it before...

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
[...] why should Sakurai give a ****? [...] why do so many people feel that if they don't get a good update on Christmas, something’s wrong?
Because most people are egotistical and believe the world revolves around them. (Oh noes, no good update on Christmas / September eleven? Sakurai's lost it lol)

Idiots.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
This topic deserves a sticky. I don't know any other big days coming up besides New Year's Day, but people always get excited for no reason.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Its almost masochistic how people constantly set themselves up for disappointment.

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
Why is it that so many people expect certain things on certain days? So... today was Christmas, so? Honestly, why should Sakurai give a ****? I'm Jewish, and all I got on Hanukkah was The Battle for the Smash Ball and X: Tunnel Scene music. Did I complain? No…. so why do so many people feel that if they don't get a good update on Christmas, something’s wrong? People, you should understand by now, Sakurai does not care! Plus, a majority of people in this world do not celebrate Christmas, i.e. Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. So why should Christmas be special? Or any other day for that matter? Even new years doesn’t work, because half the people in the world have new years on another day, and some countries like China spend it in another month completely.

All of you who keep saying this have just gone too far and have taken this whole Smash blog for granted. All of you should be lucky, nay, grateful for this. And yeah, so we get a rehash of a rehash, or something from E4All. The point is how many other corporations actually do this?

So don’t ***** just because you didn’t get a good update on your birthday. Don’t complain because Christmas’ update sucked, just because it was Christmas. Say it sucked, but not because it was god **** Christmas.
Your post is so full of angst it makes me sick. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to expect special updates on certain days, but I can *almost* understand for Christmas. And why is this, do you ask? Well, can you which religion is most popular in the west? CHRISTIANITY! SURPRISE! Christianity is flat out the largest religion in the entire world, with something like 33% of the entire planet's human population adhering to it. Not only that but due to America's consumerist nature, many people that don't even follow Christianity still celebrate Christmas. Astounding!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only thing we got on anything important was on Sakurai's birthday we got either the Subspace Emissary or Army update. And I think maybe something on Miyamoto's birthday=??? Also, we got the Fire Emblem theme on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn's release date, but that's it. All the other billions of things were wrong-except we saw a pumpkin on Halloween, and Wario in the snowy season part of Yoshi's Island on Christmas Eve. But we've gotten NOTHING BIG on a important day, OTHER then Sakurai's birthday. And that is because he is "special". ;)

And isn't that stupid=??? Japan celebrates Christmas, and Christianity is a minority there, as it is a HOLIDAY CELBERATES AROUND THE WORLD! It's the most well-known holiday internationally, except for maybe (I think this is false, but whatever) New Year's Day. It's celebrated by what, 3 billion people=??? That's like all the first world coutries in the world.

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
So uh, yeah. And only around 1bn people are christian, not 2-3bn. And Sakurai lives in Japan, remember. <_<;
1 billion is contrary to every single estimate I've seen on the internet. Ever. 2 billion+ includes all variants of Christianity.

And I'm well aware of where Sakurai lives, but if he was completely ignorant of western society it's safe to assume that he wouldn't bother to put characters that are pretty much only popular outside of Japan (DK, for example) and it's also pretty likely that he knows of Christmas. And no, I'm not even religious.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
1 billion is contrary to every single estimate I've seen on the internet. Ever. 2 billion+ includes all variants of Christianity.
Oh, you were referring to all variants, even those that don't like to associate themselves with the other ones? Well okay, that is more realistic then.

And I'm well aware of where Sakurai lives, but if he was completely ignorant of western society it's safe to assume that he wouldn't bother to put characters that are pretty much only popular outside of Japan (DK, for example) and it's also pretty likely that he knows of Christmas. And no, I'm not even religious.
Yeah, he's aware of it - but it means practically nothing over there. You know, you give a scarf to your girlfriend or something. It's like asking if New Zealanders celebrate 4th of July or something. They're aware of what it is - it just means nothing to them.

The character issue is different. The game itself is intended for an international audience and Sakurai is intending to appeal to all his potential audiences with the character choices and the like. It's also a slightly more timeless decision than whether or not to give an 'Epic' christmas update and avoids the problems of huffy people getting on his back about discrimination issues and the like.

Top Bottom